+ Post New Thread
Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; On the interfaces... Android all the way. I can't stand the Metro (Windows 1.0 look), it hurts my eyes with ...
    Thank Post
    On the interfaces... Android all the way. I can't stand the Metro (Windows 1.0 look), it hurts my eyes with too much contrast and lack of detail in the icons. Everything is square and blocky, at a quick glance all the icons look the same and you have to squint to see what silly little white swish is in the boxes to figure out what they are... meh

Actually came on here to put another experience of Windows 8...

- tried to install a printer the other day... redesigned UI box seems pointless but it never actually installed anything... stuck at 99% and never completed... back to my Win7 desktop to actually get anything useful done

- little box comes up in the corner of the logon screen for updates... OK I'll try clicking it... nothing... OK I'll open Windows Update via Metro search... can't do that... where is Windows Update FFS... oh... hidden in the corner of the Desktop Control Panel... really user friendly... not

Why can't you search for Control Panel settings from the Start Screen? If MS is going to force this abortion of a UI on us the least it could do is provide quick access to all the machine's programs and settings

This guy talks a lot of sense... XP was my idea: Features removed in Windows 8

The Beta really better up its game as at the moment this OS is a mess imo

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    The Beta really better up its game as at the moment this OS is a mess imo
    The Consumer Preview is the Beta.

tried to install a printer the other day
    Surely you don't expect beta software to be 100% bug free?

little box comes up in the corner of the logon screen for updates...
    The updates will install themselves when you restart or shutdown. Alternatively, just click the power button...

Why can't you search for Control Panel settings from the Start Screen?
    You can: Windows Key + W

This guy talks a lot of sense...
    An unbiased view from someone who thinks Windows XP is the epitome of operating system design. Posts like this one make him sound deluded and/or insane!

The geek in me refuses to accept Windows 7 as a viable replacement for the more-customizable Windows XP.

Thank Post
    No more Aero Glass in the Release Preview...

Source: Building Windows 8 Blog

I reckon Microsoft will update the old Vista/7 icons before the final version is released too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope that isn't how it ends up. What's so wrong with colour?! Good lord, it looks like someone put it through the wash 50 times and all the colour bled out.

5. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

Gatt (20th May 2012), zag (21st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I hope that isn't how it ends up. What's so wrong with colour?! Good lord, it looks like someone put it through the wash 50 times and all the colour bled out.
    to be honest i like the simplicity of it, i hated all the aeroglass and transparency distractions in windows 7. Anything that's more bling than functional is a step back in my view. The more inline with the windows 8 server mgmt UI the better, as i quite like the minimalism, if you can call it that.

the metro UI also displays good design in my view, i just question the adaptation of the traditional start menu method of interaction using keyboard and mouse to tile based using keyboard and mouse, and whether it's square pegs and round holes. I suspect it won't be as bad as that. once people get round to the idea of exploring their files, managing apps and collecting groups of things together in tiles. I don't feel massively more productive with each successive iteration of the old start menu/desktop, so that might finally change with the metro ui if i'm forced to navigate in a different way.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can't really say I'm one for minimalistic UIs. I have an animated desktop, for example...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Pretty sure there's meant to be one more before full release, either called Beta or Release Preview and out sometime in June, according to Mr. Google

Surely you don't expect beta software to be 100% bug free?
    You'd expect it to be able to do basic functions even in a Beta

The updates will install themselves when you restart or shutdown. Alternatively, just click the power button...
    Didn't work like that at all, shut down about 5 times, no effect then randomly does it while I'm working. As for removing the basic control from the front of house it's another irritating "feature" dumbing down the OS for the Apple crowd. If I wanted a dumbed down OS designed for noob users I'd get an iPad / Mac!

Very intuitive...

Still can't find one thing this OS does better on a desktop than what we already have, you seem to be a big Windows 8 fan so maybe you can find me some lol?
    Last edited by gshaw; 20th May 2012 at 06:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Still can't find one thing this OS does better on a desktop than what we already have, you seem to be a big Windows 8 fan so maybe you can find me some lol?
    for some reason i just don't find windows 7 as intuitive as OSX or XP. Some of the things i like like being able search for apps when typing them in via the 'run' area. But i don't find the explorer and folder organisation to be a big move forward, and the other stuff they have added don't make it a more sophisticated or intuitive OS than OSX. The one thing neither Microsoft or Apple have managed to crack is sorting out their respective file browsers, they've tinkered with them to varying degrees but they don't seem to have the confidence to redo the whole concept/design from the ground up.

The two things that would convince me with Win 8 would be if they dropped the graphics bells and whistles from Windows 7, improved performance with less RAM, and the ribbon style interface in windows explorer is truly a big improvement.

All those things, plus hypervisor in the client OS would convince me it's a better option than Win7, but only if the tile based navigation makes more not less productive. OR becomes more intuitive as a way to interact using a non-touch computer.

Thank Post
    Whilst I like Aero, it is a huge drain on resources (RAM, CPU, Battery Life!) so I have mixed feelings about the loss of it
    I do agree with @localzuk in that the whole colour scheme makes it look like something thats been sun bleached..

The MetroUI is - err well lets not beat around the bush here... it's crap
    It might work on in WP7 and an ARM device, but not for a Desktop or Laptop - and certainly not a server!!

Also, why the 8bit colour schemes?

Thank Post
    Interesting read here: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...0032012-143133
    First Aero.. will the Windows Desktop be next?

Thank Post
    If you look at the forthcoming Office applications, the changes to the Windows desktop suddenly make perfect sense.

Paul Thurrott seems to like Office 15, so I don't get why he hates the changes Microsoft are making to Windows Explorer? They now look exactly the same!

A clean, white interface with color-coded border elements marks each application: Word is blue, Excel is green, and so on. This seems stark at first, but the goal, again, is clear and obviously Metro-inspired: The user should be visually drawn to the content they are creating, and not to the ribbon or other onscreen elements that make up the application UI. Microsoft will use this same approach in other modern desktop applications it is creating--like the next Visual Studio--and while some may react strongly to this at first, it does grow on you and, more important, actually seems to work. (Source)
    I also don't think he is entirely correct with his assumption that it's all about battery life. It is also about making the desktop blend in with the Metro UI (something which @gshaw has complained about in the past), the new Office 15 apps and improving RDP performance over WANs (as mentioned on the Windows Server blog). Services like OnLive Desktop should be faster and the lower system requirements of Windows 8/Server 2012 will mean you can fit even more VMs on your servers.
    Last edited by Arthur; 20th May 2012 at 09:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wow, that interface will be a nightmare for schools to work with in terms of dyslexia friendly stuff - I wonder if they'll let you change the ribbon background etc for users who need different contrast levels?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow, that interface will be a nightmare for schools to work with in terms of dyslexia friendly stuff - I wonder if they'll let you change the ribbon background etc for users who need different contrast levels?
    I don't get that, short of black and white how can they get more contrast. White on dark blue seems quite close to that and without the additional visual distractions it should actually make it easier for them. It's big, plain and high contrast. Seems like progress in that direction.
    I do love the fact that UIs are getting closer and closer to LCARS (LCARS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) proving again that scifi is a good shopping list for the future.

Thank Post
    I wonder if they'll let you change the ribbon background etc for users who need different contrast levels?
    I'm sure Microsoft will elaborate on the accessibility improvements they have made in a future blog post, but I think it's safe to say it is something they are working on...

...we have a new way to toggle settings for high contrast, which is easier to discover and simpler to apply. We also made it easier to adjust the size of UI elements to be bigger, and take care of the DPI scaling settings for you, so you don’t have to manage it manually. We think simplifying these settings will help a large set of users. (Source)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I don't get that, short of black and white how can they get more contrast. White on dark blue seems quite close to that and without the additional visual distractions it should actually make it easier for them. It's big, plain and high contrast. Seems like progress in that direction.
    I do love the fact that UIs are getting closer and closer to LCARS (LCARS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) proving again that scifi is a good shopping list for the future.
    It isn't always about 'high contrast'. It is about getting the contrast right for the user. Some need more, some need a soft background etc...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread