+ Post New Thread
Page 14 of 47 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Windows 8 Release Preview will include Metro multiple monitor improvements « The Verge

Microsoft has implemented a new way of using Metro on multiple displays by designing an improved method to identify shared edges. Windows 8 Release Preview will include "real corners" along shared edges to bump up against and target controls like the charms bar or app switcher. The work is demonstrated in the video below and it now appears to be a lot easier to navigate the Metro environment with multiple monitors, something that was tricky in the Consumer Preview as your mouse would typically glide onto the second screen and miss the UI controls. Although these improvements will certainly help multiple monitor users, Microsoft says there's more to come and the company plans to enhance the experience and APIs even further in future.

Thank Post
    But what about the alleged facial recognition logons (or is that just an API for 3rd parties)?

Thank Post
    still not impressed, its ugly as hell..

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Even though this is mobile, I think this picture sums it up best

Which one do you think is the best looking? lol

Microsoft really need to employ some graphical artists.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Best looking of those interfaces IMO? The Android phone. The Icons are each unique and each catches the eye, with plenty of space between them so as to not make it look crowded.

The iPhone is too 'squashed up' for me, and the Windows 7 phone? Well... Its almost 1 bit colour. Why? Are colours too offensive to the eye?

What about the *huge* issue where you can't have a metro app open on one screen and a 'normal' app open on the other? It just closes the metro app in my experience, will this new version fix this I wonder?
    Last edited by localzuk; 17th May 2012 at 02:41 PM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes I think the windows 7 phone comes a very distant third.

The interface has to be that simple I think so the performance is acceptable. Sad state of affairs really.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    The interface has to be that simple I think so the performance is acceptable. Sad state of affairs really.
    It's called design.

Would you say Piet Mondrian's paintings were also crap because they are just blocks of colour and lines?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries

They did, its designed for a purpose, clarity. For accessability the large writing, simple colours and large touch areas mean that it can be accessed easily and quickly even in adverse conditions - moving, lowered eyesight, time constraints, dexterity issues.

I actually like the Metro UI on the phone, that is what it was designed for and does its job well in my opinion. Both the other seem cluttered and scattered to me using the same kind of icon design that Xerox invented four decades ago. The WinPho screenshot also does it no favors in the colour departent as there are no other apps on there with different coloured icons which do exist. Also, that is not the home screen but the extended program list launcher so they are not really comparing like for like.

Hardware wise the WinPho looses badly though thanks to their restricted hardware platform, it still behaves plenty smooth enough but their dev model seems to have stunted their growth a little thanks to their diverting what seems like all of their resources to Windows 8 instead of extending the featureset of WP7.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They are comparing like for like - the display on the Android is the 'extended app screen' and the iPhone doesn't differentiate between pages of apps and the home screen.

The Metro interface is fine if you want to read everything but the icons are not easy to differentiate - the contrast between the colour and white is not high enough for the pale colour palette they have chosen so they just look like identical orange and blue icons really.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even though this is mobile, I think this picture sums it up best

WP is far easier to read, thats its app list view which is not a view most use normally.
    Regarding colours, they can match the colour scheme you want if the app enables it (as the MS icons do) and its not MS's fault AT&T used those icons.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To me.....Windows 8 metro (and windows 7 mobile) look awful compared to the competition.

I would be embarrassed to pull out a windows 7 phone in front of anyone at a dinner party

Looks like one of those interfaces from the 1980s to me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looks like one of those interfaces from the 1980s to me.
    Interesting dose of irony given that Android and to a certain extent the iPhone is using the exact same icon layout that Windows 3.1 and before used and so is actually a UI from the 80s.

The iPhone one tries way to hard for my liking and is just so full of gradients and 3D effects etc. The Android one is bareble and not to cluttered but with the little icons it is guilty of a lot of the 'crimes' that Windows Mobile was hung for in the press. I'd much rather have the Android over the iPhone but UI wise I'd rather have the WinPho as for its use case; on the move, quick operations, clean clear information. To me it is actually just plain better desinged for its purpose as a quick little mobile information/gaming device.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    WP is far easier to read, thats its app list view which is not a view most use normally..
    You can tick the 'large text' button on android to improve that.

TBH, yourself and @SYNACK are going to love the Microsoft stuff regardless.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Metro interface is fine if you want to read everything but the icons are not easy to differentiate - the contrast between the colour and white is not high enough for the pale colour palette they have chosen so they just look like identical orange and blue icons really.

Yeh icons based on white need to aware of light background colours and change appropriately.
    I think the point is more though you dont use that list view for apps often, when icons are pinned its easier to differentiate and the tiles animate to show relevant information.
    The same can be said for droid where most would pin icons on the home screen etc I think?

on the diephone I got so many icons it was a nightmare to use (even with recognition of colours) which resulted in me using the search rather then icon grid hell.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @CyberNerd - Probably true but I do still give them a fair amount of critisisum for their software stuff ups. I like the process that goes behind some of their stuff like the UI, for instance the previously much hated ribbon which was based on actual usage of the product and UI studies which has turned out to be epic when it comes to people actually using the features and finding them. Changing the UI that has been around for decades.

Metro has the same kind of design fundementals behind it, research and studies that try to make stuff better for its usage. While I don't agree with them pushing this UI to desktop moniters (as that was not its intent) I do think that it is good on phones. The unified nature of it is also good in my opinion, I have setup all sorts of phones and the least scatered/fragmented was the Windows Phone. In comparison Androids strengths are also it's weaknesses, everything is an app and the settings are scattered around in all of them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread