+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 694
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Originally Posted by Arthur You need a slate running Windows 8 Pro or Enterprise, not a tablet running Windows RT... ...
  1. #166

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    74
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    14

    Red face Not heard of a slate!

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    You need a slate running Windows 8 Pro or Enterprise, not a tablet running Windows RT...
    Hi

    Thanks for your input - I have not heard of a slate. I assume it is more bulky than a tablet (ever tried swollowing a slate?) but will run "proper" windows.

  2. #167

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,706
    Thank Post
    905
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantech View Post
    Hi

    Thanks for your input - I have not heard of a slate. I assume it is more bulky than a tablet (ever tried swollowing a slate?) but will run "proper" windows.
    Slate is basically a form factor for x86 processors where as tablets are generally ARM based although its not set in stone.

    Windows To Go looks like a really really cool feature but the devil is in the licensing.

  3. #168
    flyinghaggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,008
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 74 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    And don't count on RT being able to joint a domain or have group policy support either, plus you won't be able to install a more capable os on the device.
    Announcing the Windows 8 Editions
    It's disapppointing that Windows 8 RT tablets at sounding like such a complete disaster at this point in time. I mean :-

    * No Domain or group policy support
    * No backwards compatibility for any existing window software
    * No Flash Support

    They might come good in a few years time when software support picks up, Flash dies off and if MS implement Domain/GP support but right now I'm left wondering why they bothered?

  4. #169


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,899
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Rep Power
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantech View Post
    I assume it is more bulky than a tablet
    They are, but not massively so (as you can see from the specs below). I reckon by October we should see thinner and lighter slates running the full version of Windows.

    Source: www.theverge.com/products/compare/2620/5344/5343/5271/5274/5263



    ^ 2.06 lbs = 0.934400282 kg

  5. #170
    flyinghaggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,008
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 74 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I reckon by October we should see thinner and lighter slates running the full version of Windows.
    I hope so cause if that series 7 slate is the best they can do when it comes to Windows 8 Intel based slates they're in trouble. I mean it weighs nearly twice as much as the Android tablets and has a 3 hour battery life. Sounds bad enough before you even mention the £1000 price tag!

    Samsung Series 7 Slate PC review -- Engadget

  6. #171

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    170
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    It's disapppointing that Windows 8 RT tablets at sounding like such a complete disaster at this point in time. I mean :-

    * No Domain or group policy support
    * No backwards compatibility for any existing window software
    * No Flash Support

    They might come good in a few years time when software support picks up, Flash dies off and if MS implement Domain/GP support but right now I'm left wondering why they bothered?
    i don't really see how any of that is a disaster. No flash support is a given for any ARM-based tablet which wants to boast serious battery life. What do the RT tablets need to be backwards compatible with ? If microsoft develop WOA versions of some of their popular software i don't see it as an issue. Plus, given the number of complaints i've read about some of the flash software developed for education i would have thought IT would be relieved those headaches won't be replicated across any flavour of tablet in the future. Lack of gpo support perhaps is a bit of a kicker for those looking at RT because it would fit in with their existing management tools, but clearly institutions have to give consideration to going down an MDM route anyway so as to support BYOD and the most popular tablet currently out there currently.

    The platform may come good in a few years precisely because things will move away from the legacy model of this thing needs to walk and talk like a fat pc and be managed as such approach. What microsoft needs to do is anticipate that and in the meantime provide some incentives for early adopters who've baulked at the iPad because of perceived PITA from a device management point of view..

  7. #172
    flyinghaggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,008
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 74 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    I guess MS probably want to hedge their bets by producing a device to rival IOS and Android tablets as full Windows 8 slates don't really seem to be there yet in terms of battery, weight and price.

    Maybe "disaster" is too strong a word but it's the lack of group policy and legacy software support is certianly disappointing. Given time these things could improve though.....

  8. #173

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,172
    Thank Post
    868
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    772
    Windows Tablets as a for factor have existed since long before the iPad was even thought of, if anything the iPad etc is a remake of the name, its like Apple claiming that phones can't be called phones anymore because they built one.

    As to the slate ones I think their real test will be how well the hardware shakes out with the new Intel chips which use much less energy, that tech in the latest i series and the next Atom line should yeild much longer runtimes and probably smaller form factors.

  9. #174

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    170
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Windows Tablets as a for factor have existed since long before the iPad was even thought of, if anything the iPad etc is a remake of the name, its like Apple claiming that phones can't be called phones anymore because they built one.

    As to the slate ones I think their real test will be how well the hardware shakes out with the new Intel chips which use much less energy, that tech in the latest i series and the next Atom line should yeild much longer runtimes and probably smaller form factors.
    ofcourse the form factor existed before the iPad, just like the ultraportable existed before the macbook air, but arguably apple were first to succeed in using the form factor in a way that allowed as many people as possible to create and consume content on the form factor in a very different way to what was done before or what was being done on pc's. With early x86 tablets there was a nod to a different method of interacting with the device, but all in a tacked on afterthought kind of way. A kind of don't worry, this is still a pc...when it should maybe have been introduction the user to new features than we now consider standard for tablets and smartphones, and battery life that was days rather than hours.

    when people talk about scaled down intel architectures for slate type devices, they are as much drinking from a form of marketing kool aid as the apple fans. don't know how wise it is to be a slave to a product roadmap and expectations that intel, hardware manufactures and microsoft can/will pull it all together in 201? when people are out there with money burning a hole in their pockets to spend now and later on in the year.

  10. #175
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,765
    Thank Post
    898
    Thanked 417 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    87
    I think windows tablets will be a complete and utter failure.

    The only feature that could save it is the corporate market but the way things are going everyone will be using the cloud and we wont be logging on locally for much longer anyway.

    There... I said it

  11. #176
    Jamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,350
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 175 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I think windows tablets will be a complete and utter failure.

    The only feature that could save it is the corporate market but the way things are going everyone will be using the cloud and we wont be logging on locally for much longer anyway.

    There... I said it
    Booooooo!

    Still cant see it, I went on holiday to a place with no mobile signal in feb. How would that work if all my documents were stored in the cloud!

    pfft if I have to look at any more targetted advertising i swear I will go mad!

  12. #177

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,172
    Thank Post
    868
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by alttab View Post
    when people talk about scaled down intel architectures for slate type devices, they are as much drinking from a form of marketing kool aid as the apple fans. don't know how wise it is to be a slave to a product roadmap and expectations that intel, hardware manufactures and microsoft can/will pull it all together in 201? when people are out there with money burning a hole in their pockets to spend now and later on in the year.
    Have you seen the power consumption of the new medfeild chips, its compeditive with a quad core ARM cpu and with full Windows that could make for a very useful and versitile bit of equipment with the battery life to make portability practicle and the software archive of decades behind it when needed.

    AnandTech - Lava Xolo X900 Review - The First Intel Medfield Phone
    [The Atom Z2460 in the X900 is a competent dual-core Cortex A9 competitor with competitive battery life and power draw, and no doubt Z2580 (its dual core, SGX544MP2 high end counterpart clearly targeted at Windows 8 platforms) will be equally as competitive against quad core A9s. If Intel's goal with both Medfield and the X900 was to establish a foothold in the smartphone SoC space and demonstrate that it can indeed deliver x86 in a smaller form factor and lower power profile than ever before then it truly is mission accomplished.
    Oh and on that note, check out the Atom powered Android phone the review is about, makes some interesting reading.

  13. #178

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,706
    Thank Post
    905
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    445
    Although RT doesnt have domain it will have a enterprise manager I believe although if x86 power consumption is lowered why bother with that build tbh.

  14. #179

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    LE18 3WH
    Posts
    1
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I dislike the whole interface, no start button. Microsoft dilibrately do this... 1 good OS.... 1 bad OS... 1 good OS.... 1 bag OS... Its becoming a trend :/

  15. #180

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    170
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Have you seen the power consumption of the new medfeild chips, its compeditive with a quad core ARM cpu and with full Windows that could make for a very useful and versitile bit of equipment with the battery life to make portability practicle and the software archive of decades behind it when needed.

    AnandTech - Lava Xolo X900 Review - The First Intel Medfield Phone


    Oh and on that note, check out the Atom powered Android phone the review is about, makes some interesting reading.
    fair points, but looking at it it appears the forthcoming clover trail dual core atom will be initially THE option for x86 tablets, with a combo of 10" tablet-only reference designs and 11" hybrids (i'm not sure whether that means transformer prime style devices or basically 11" netbook with touchscreen).

    There certainly will be options in terms of a variety of manufacturers providing x86 in the two styles/sizes, but coupled with more options for the consumer with identical looking devices on the ARM side, however running RT. And so you have the fragmentation of the windows OS. It could well get quite confusing for the consumer, but it may also make decisions on purchasing decisions a little tricky. While no single style needs to win out, you want to know what you want from an ultraportable device before making a decision, if people are expecting one device to do it all...keyboard, touch, x86 apps, long battery/standby. they might end up with making a few more compromises than they were anticpating., I think people have experience of making those compromises when they made previous netbook purchases. And those purchases were incredibly popular but only because they got the price right to begin with, but i do wonder whether these devices will be priced competitively enough in the beginning phase. A problem that's hobbled the x86 tab attempts in the past amongst other shortcomings.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th March 2012, 08:58 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28th February 2011, 01:42 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26th May 2010, 05:29 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th September 2009, 12:48 AM
  5. Urgh ! The Pox be upon us !
    By Jake in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21st March 2007, 11:50 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •