+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Originally Posted by SYNACK Really, then why are their Apple support forums and Apple genises? They may work fine for ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Really, then why are their Apple support forums and Apple genises? They may work fine for specific use cases most of the time but outside that limited sphere the simplification hits the fan. Same deal with Windows 8.
    That's exactly my point, the experience is simplified. There will always be people that need support but Apple have brought computing to more people than MS or whoever have previously. Yes the experience has been dumbed down and sanitised but who needs a long boot up time, login, etc to just read an email when an instant on iPad does this well, instantly?

Even to me Apple has some great little ideas out of the box that I would kill for in Win7.
    Per connection proxy settings being one right off my head.

Im not saying Apple has it all right, im just saying that MS and the industry should take notice and cherry pick some of what Apple are doing to improve their own products.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Im not saying Apple has it all right, im just saying that MS and the industry should take notice and cherry pick some of what Apple are doing to improve their own products.
    Ideally, but you have heard of Apples lawyer games haven't you. It is no longer about the best idea being implemented everywhere. It is now about the best and most suitably differentiated solution that the laywers can agree to being implemented at the mercy of various agreements.

Innovation is dead lawyers and idiocy killed them and spread foulness on their graves.

Thank Post
    Oh I know, I have my rose tinted glasses on right now.

But you do see where im coming from tho right?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Oh I know, I have my rose tinted glasses on right now.

But you do see where im coming from tho right?
    Yea, most systems have their redeming qualities and if the best of all of them could be combined things would be much better but unfourtunatly that is not how the world works. It is by no means a meritocricy and in many cases is the exact opposite.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Server 8 and its new Hyper-V might be good but again relies on very specific hardware extentions in the CPU, none of which our hardware supports meaning that it is mostly pointless unless we go W8.
    Hyper-V in Windows Server 2012 does not require SLAT. It's Client Hyper-V in Windows 8 that does.

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    Client Hyper-V on Win 8 Client will require 64-bit SLAT capable systems.

Windows Server 8 Hyper-V does not require SLAT so your servers running WS2008 R2 will run WS8 Hyper-V just fine (Note: WS2008 R2 RemoteFX does require SLAT and that will remain the same for WS8)

Although it would be great to not require SLAT on clients for Client Hyper-V, the client scenarios almost always requires the root Windows (parent partition) to have a high performance graphical experience where for servers the guidance is to only use root Windows for administration / management. (Source)
    How old are your servers? Xeon's from 2007 onwards (Nehalem, Westmere, Sandybridge) will have SLAT.

6. Thanks to Arthur from:

SYNACK (21st April 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    How old are your servers? Xeon's from 2007 onwards (Nehalem, Westmere, Sandybridge) will have SLAT.
    Only about three years but this is NZ where a three year old server is equivilent to a 4-5 year old server tech wise thanks to horrible supply chains.

Thank Post

Mixed view after intitial shock!

Quote Originally Posted by deceptivex View Post
    Look at the reviews mate, they are very nearly universally positive, not to mention the fact that carriers publically admitted that out of all the phones they sell, the Windows Phone's have the lowest return rate. Marketing is killing the phone nothing else, I've yet to meet anyone who has said "I don't like it". It's usually "I'd get it if it had this app" and with Nokia around the corner it's on it's way up. Holds the record for the fastest 0-10,000 apps.

Also, it isn't Windows Phone interface, it's the Metro UI interface that Microsoft have been designing for a while now.
    Hi

I installed the Windows 8 Consumer Preview the day it was released and after spending 10 minutes trying to find control panel decided I would not roll this out to our staff for a couple of years! It's high time we had a shake up and generally I like it but not being able to put "Computer" on the desktop is a right pain. I saw an advert the other day on TV saying there would be a special release for business users and something about only four versions. I cannot see that the Metro Tile interface is of any real benefit on a work PC and just gets in the way of work. Why does everything have to be square though? An the windows 8 logo looks like it was designed by a three year old!

Having knocked it I actually do like it and am eager to buy a windows 8 tablet which actually lets your store files on the thing (unlike an iPad), works with flash, can be wired straight to my PC for easy quick file access and obviously works on wireless. It should run full Office and allow me to RDP to any machine on my network so i do not have to lug my laptop around school. I just hope someone makes one in time for the realse of Windows 8 - saving hard from now on!

Mark

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantech View Post
    Having knocked it I actually do like it and am eager to buy a windows 8 tablet which actually lets your store files on the thing (unlike an iPad), works with flash, can be wired straight to my PC for easy quick file access and obviously works on wireless. It should run full Office and allow me to RDP to any machine on my network so i do not have to lug my laptop around school. I just hope someone makes one in time for the realse of Windows 8 - saving hard from now on!

Mark
    Don't count on Flash working. Microsoft have already said that the Metro version of IE won't be allowing plugins. The regular desktop version will but the Metro one won't.

10. Thanks to Norphy from:

Dantech (23rd April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    And don't count on RT being able to joint a domain or have group policy support either, plus you won't be able to install a more capable os on the device.
    Announcing the Windows 8 Editions

12. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    And don't count on RT being able to joint a domain or have group policy support either
    ......drat... that would be a real good selling point for tablets in schools.

14. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Thank Post

What? Really no actually useful features

Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    Don't count on Flash working. Microsoft have already said that the Metro version of IE won't be allowing plugins. The regular desktop version will but the Metro one won't.
    Thanks Norphy and Cybernerd - I was unaware of this. I stupidly believed Microsoft were going tp produce a tablet system that actually did what I needed! I was hoping for a windows tablet that was fully controllable by group policy that could replace laptops in the classroom and be a lot more useful than the iPad.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    ......drat... that would be a real good selling point for tablets in schools.
    Android with Google apps is the was forward for tablet management at the moment.

17. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wait just noticed the casual dropping in of the Enterprise version of Windows 8.
    Features here: Why Windows 8 Enterprise Is the Right Version for Business | PCWorld Business Center
    Why is this a side note, there are some awesome features right there!

19. Thanks to sparkeh from:

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just when you thought they got it right by only offering 2 main versions they go and overcomplicate it again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantech View Post
    I was hoping for a Windows tablet that was fully controllable by group policy that could replace laptops in the classroom and be a lot more useful than the iPad.
    You need a slate running Windows 8 Pro or Enterprise, not a tablet running Windows RT...

Slate
    A slate PC is pretty much like a slim laptop with a touch screen and no keyboard. Characteristics include something like an Intel Core i3 or Core i5 CPU, it will have a relatively short battery life (compared to an iPad), it probably has 2 GB to 4GB RAM and it can run Windows. It is not a tablet, and Microsoft (to their credit) hasnít tried to call it a tablet.

Tablet
    The typical Android tablet and the iPad fall into this category. The key traits of this device type are driven by the need for long battery life. There is relatively little storage, not much memory, and the CPU is some low power thing like an A5 (iPad) or the Nvidia Tegra (as seen in Motorola Xoom Android tablets). Traditional Intel/AMD processors are very different beasts with different instruction sets. (Source)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast