+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, PCs and some servers are identifying the network as unknown! in Technical; Then sticks them into public profile mode and nothing works.. This happens a lot with the new 8.1 clients when ...

Thank Post

PCs and some servers are identifying the network as unknown!

Then sticks them into public profile mode and nothing works.. This happens a lot with the new 8.1 clients when they come out of standby. But 2 of my 2008 servers have done it. I did change a firewall policy to be on by default but have added no rules and its set to the default options for all 3 profiles. but the servers have not had any changes to them....

what needs to bee seen for it to work correctly?

Thank Post
    ok, it seems that when the laptop wakes from sleep mode it doesn't have the correct address. (169) not my 10. ideas? Driver?

Thank Post
    ok, just for anyone stumbling on this in the future. I'd set the public firewall rules too tight and disallowed unicast response to multicast. This meant that the laptop couldn't get an ip address from the DHCP server as it appears whilst identifying the network it will apply the public profile. The PC couldn't get an ip address, couldn't get to the PDC enumerator and thus determine it was on the domain and nothing worked!

1. whilst the PC is working out what network it's on it uses the public profile.
    2. the block unicast response to multicast also includes DHCP offers. (seems obvious but I am sure on XP it didn't)
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 3rd September 2014 at 12:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Just to throw another spanner in the works we have seen two instances in recent weeks one HP and one Lenovo site where the Intel LAN Driver puts the NIC into a Multicast Frenzy when the PC goes into standby!
    At this point dependent on your topology and switches multicast settings could block all traffic on a specific switch or network!

Do check your drivers, as whilst the machines are awake all is well.
    As soon as a PC with a dodgy driver goes into standby it's multicast heaven!!!!

Only been discovered in the last few weeks and affects Intel chipsets using the Microsoft WHQL signed OS drivers and OEM.
    Yes the ones you probably injected into your images!!!

Update to the Intel V19 fixes this bug.

I expect many sites to be hit by this issue especially those that have re imaged systems.

Wire shark should pick this up and point anyone affected towards the offending systems.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread