+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 ISO in Technical; Ahh, I miss my TechNet plus subscription, the legal way to make all your home pcs awesome. edit: try this... ...
    Thank Post
    Ahh, I miss my TechNet plus subscription, the legal way to make all your home pcs awesome.

edit: try this...http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/...1-pro-iso.aspx

then use your key.
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 3rd September 2014 at 12:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Surely if the PC is licensed for Windows I can use an original Microsoft disc?
    Yes. As long as it is for the same edition that came with your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Obviously, as this thread suggests, there are ways around this. It's just that those ways are probably not legal
    Modifying the ei.cfg file so that Windows knows which edition to install isn't illegal. All you are doing is forcing Windows to install the edition that your PC is licensed for. Nothing more than that.

I'm certainly not suggesting pirating anything.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @jamesbmarshall Im not planning to use VL media but to use OEM media with my OEM licence. But instead to use an original Microsoft media

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Yes. As long as it is for the same edition that came with your PC.

Modifying the ei.cfg file so that Windows knows which edition to install isn't illegal. All you are doing is forcing Windows to install the edition that your PC is licensed for. Nothing more than that.

I'm certainly not suggesting pirating anything.
    I am not accusing anyone of anything here, that's not my point.

My point is only that I don't believe it is within the license terms to take a personal device, built with an OEM image of Windows, and re-image it with anything other than the original OEM image, except by purchasing an upgrade, volume licensing agreement, full packaged product, etc. This comes under "re-imaging rights", which are only granted with a volume licence agreement, AFAIK.

Since, as a home user, it's unlikely you'll have a VL agreement with Microsoft my interpretation is that your only option is to use the OEM recovery media for the device, or to buy a full packaged product version of Windows.

Therefore, it's probably inappropriate to be discussing ways to enable this.

(I'm not a licensing expert - but I spend my days in the world of volume licensing. If you want to be certain, speak to the supplier)
    Last edited by jamesbmarshall; 3rd September 2014 at 01:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    I am not accusing anyone of anything here, that's not my point.

My point is only that I don't believe it is within the license terms to take a personal device, built with an OEM image of Windows, and re-image it with anything other than the original OEM image, except by purchasing an upgrade, volume licensing agreement, full packaged product, etc. This comes under "re-imaging rights", which are only granted with a volume licence agreement, AFAIK.

Since, as a home user, it's unlikely you'll have a VL agreement with Microsoft my interpretation is that your only option is to use the OEM recovery media for the device, or to buy a full packaged product version of Windows.

Therefore, it's probably inappropriate to be discussing ways to enable this.

(I'm not a licensing expert - but I spend my days in the world of volume licensing. If you want to be certain, speak to the supplier)
    Without anyone being able say definitively whether it is or is not an issue I don't think it is right to supress a conversation about reinstalling the version of Windows on your device you are licenced for in the first place. If you can provide more proof of this than a feeling that it might be probably against the terms then all good. Without certainty it's the equivalent of those spammed DMCA copy write takedown notices the music industry is partial to sending to anyone hosting an audio file that strings more than three notes together and don't actually check if they need to. I would be looking at using the available ISOs from other sources though rather than VL, I don't think VL even has the OEM versions available anyway.

As far as I remember the key was the important thing anyway, the media was just disposable which is how they got away with not shipping them in the first place.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 3rd September 2014 at 08:42 PM.

Thank Post
    I was always under the impression that the media is irrelevant , you don't buy the media you buy a licence and your computer is either licensed for that software or not.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12