+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows 8 Thread, The desktop will be removed on smaller Windows tablets in Windows 9.0 in Technical; Originally Posted by Arthur Enterprise customers are notoriously slow at upgrading (mainly due to legacy hardware and software) and almost ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Enterprise customers are notoriously slow at upgrading (mainly due to legacy hardware and software) and almost always downgrade their licenses - it's expected.

Some are just now switching to Windows 7 from XP or 2000.
    Mmm yeah but not sure what your point is?

You objected to comparing Windows 7's percentage share to Windows 8's as 7 has been out a lot longer (fine, you are correct) so I compared how well Windows 8 launched compared to Windows 7, it sold significantly less over a similar period (but their own admission). I asserted that significantly less people used their Windows 7 licence to downgrade to Vista than are using their Windows 8 licence to downgrade to Windows 7 making the figures look ever worse.

Be interesting to see figures on Win 8 licences sold vs Win 8 *installations*
    Last edited by sparkeh; 7th July 2014 at 12:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,964 Times in 2,179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Mmm yeah but not sure what your point is?
    Enterprises have been downgrading licenses for more than a decade (8.x to 7, 7 to XP, Vista to XP, XP to 2000 etc.). It's not really a good indicator of the popularity of an OS since it's something they always do.

I asserted that significantly less people used their Windows 7 licence to downgrade to Vista than are using their Windows 8 licence to downgrade to Windows 7 making the figures look ever worse.
    You're right that there wouldn't be many enterprises downgrading to Vista. Most would be downgrading to XP instead (especially when Windows 7 had just been released).

The companies currently on Windows 7 will most likely sticking with it until 2020. No surprises there.

Be interesting to see figures on Win 8 licences sold vs Win 8 *installations*
    Indeed it would. Unfortunately Microsoft will never reveal those figures.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Whatever Microsoft is doing to get punters adopting Windows 8.x isn't working, at least if the latest figures from Netmarketshare showing its older operating systems growing faster than its latest progeny are any guide.
    Windows 7, XP and even Vista GAIN market share again

To be expected really as most businesses prefer windows 7.
    Last edited by zag; 7th July 2014 at 01:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Good news! But if I read this right, this will not be an update to Windows 8, but an entirely different OS altogether? Because if this gets confirmed I'd be willing to buy it, but I wouldn't want to go fork out on Win 8/8.1 just to find out we're getting an 8.2 and no more 'service packs', and that this is separate.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,964 Times in 2,179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Good news! But if I read this right, this will not be an update to Windows 8, but an entirely different OS altogether?
    It will be the successor to Windows 8.1 and might even be a free upgrade for Windows 7 / 8.x users.

Windows 'Threshold': More on Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users « ZDNet

Windows 8.1 Update 2 should be code complete any time now and will be locked down about two weeks before August Patch Tuesday, my sources say. (August Patch Tuesday is on August 12). Microsoft may opt to not make a big deal out of Update 2 and just push it out quietly as part of the set of August patches, I hear.

The Microsoft OS team is hoping to get as many Windows 7 users moved to Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows 8 users to Windows 8.1 Update in preparation for (hopefully) getting them to move to Threshold once it is out. It's still early in the Windows development cycle for Microsoft to have decided on packaging, pricing and distribution, but my sources say, at this point, that Windows Threshold is looking like it could be free to all Windows 8.1 Update, and maybe even Windows 7 Service Pack 1, users.

Microsoft is basically "done" with Windows 8.x. Regardless of how usable or functional it is or isn't, it has become Microsoft's Vista 2.0 — something from which Microsoft needs to distance itself, perception-wise. At this point, Microsoft is going full-steam-ahead toward Threshold and will do its best to differentiate that OS release from Windows 8.

6. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

sparkeh (7th July 2014), zag (7th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    It will be the successor to Windows 8.1 and might even be a free upgrade for Windows 7 / 8.x users.
    I think that would be a smart move to be honest, to try and move people to an Win OS that people are positive about and put everything else behind them.
    Fingers crossed that happens.

Thank Post
    I'd gladly take it if it were a free upgrade to Win7. 60% of what stops me upgrading OS is the price.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123