+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows 8 Thread, Export Start Screen with Windows PowerShell in Technical; Yeah, can't move anything at all. Eurgh this is going to be a long one....
    Thank Post
    Yeah, can't move anything at all.

Eurgh this is going to be a long one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No it won't let me move anything so the policy is applying, so my issue is the XML file, OR the files the file links to?

Thank Post
    the way I do it is create (via group policy) a new folder in C:\ called 8.1 and put everything in there (again by GP). May be worth doing as Windows 8 is quite funny with folder permissions in my opinion. Think I mentioned before, I have not yet met anyone who has got it working correctly via UNC.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    the way I do it is create (via group policy) a new folder in C:\ called 8.1 and put everything in there (again by GP). May be worth doing as Windows 8 is quite funny with folder permissions in my opinion. Think I mentioned before, I have not yet met anyone who has got it working correctly via UNC.
    reading the xml file for users after its setup from a unc works fine for me. Creating the xml its just quicker to dump to c: then copy saves typing so not tried direct export to unc

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So I've just logged on as a pupil, with no policy applied. My start menu has icons missing, let's take my penpals ones for example. I go to the programs list, they are all there. When I right click they all say unpin from start, but not all are pinned...

I'm very tempted to call it a day on this folly to be honest!

Thank Post
    been having another play with this is aparantly it worked when i tested it but not always since. On a vm network 1 server (well there is a second had a quick go at failover dhcp while i was at it) 1 8.1 vm. If i redirect start menu to a shared location its hit and miss about wether it will show programs that arnt in all user start menu (mainly miss) however if i redirect the start menu the same way i redirect docs/music etc to the users u drive and copy the files there the start screen pinned shortcuts magically reappear. From the event log it looks a bit like windows 8.1 expects a user to have full ownership of their start menu folder (now this is just my interpretation). But every time i redirect start menu to \\server\home$\%username%\start menu it appears exactly as i designed it. Be aware atm my pc has minimal policies applied to it and one ive found helps on 8.1 that i wouldnt set on 7 is ive set remove common program groups from the start menu is set to disabled

Thank Post
    Thouhgt I'd jump on the band wagon a little as I'm currently trying to get this to work. Works fine if I export the layoutm, set up a local XML file and use GP to asign that to a user where the start screen is the only policy applied. As soon as I link in all my Policies it only show's IE. (no office or anything else) It's driving me nuts!

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm back on it today. Going to try what @sted has suggested with the redirected start menu.... if it works great. If not I might just slam on more desktop shortcuts!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123