+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 8 Thread, Deploying Windows 8.x Apps with Group Policy in Technical; Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall This doesn't sound like a good idea. Aside from any potential licensing issues this may or ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    This doesn't sound like a good idea.

Aside from any potential licensing issues this may or may not have, it's unsupported and may affect your ability to update those apps in future.

I mean, I get why you'd want to do it... but anything this hacky does not sound good.
    Which makes it doubly sad that it is required in the first place to make the devices usable with metro apps, what's the other option, 600 years of manual creation and meddling with liveIDs or reimaging every device every time you want a new app.

I like the tech, but its like there was no thought put into anything other than the marketing agenda and its a long road back to a usable system.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    This just proves why Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 just isn't fit for education or business.

Do Microsoft realise how many apps we have installed on iPads? Literally hundreds and this can be cloned and restored accordingly.

On Windows 7 workstations, most images I work on have approx. 50 or more applications installed as standard. Why is there any limit at all, it's illogical by design.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    This just proves why Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 just isn't fit for education or business.
    It's alright for education and businesses with BYOD schemes where the user logs in with their own Microsoft account.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    It's alright for education and businesses with BYOD schemes where the user logs in with their own Microsoft account.
    I agree, but we all know education doesn't always use it as was designed by Apple or Microsoft.

It reminds me of the silly requirement whereby you can only Sysprep Windows 7 so many times, but then Microsoft have done away with any limit with Windows 8.

If Microsoft insist on setting limits when deploying an image, then it should be minimum 100 apps in my opinion. Otherwise (in Microsoft's thinking), you have a beautiful new OS, but few applications to run on it. What's the point?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    And generally their own device, sorry MS we don't all live in the US where you can buy a tablet for three dollars fifty. Here and I'm sure there, in the poorer areas there is no way the families could afford that. The other route is school owned BYOD which is not really BYOD anymore and the funding for that does not exist unless, like Google here you have a charity that backs them and works out a big hire purchase deal for Chromebooks.

If MS is going for this model they have already all but lost it. Every school that has done 1:1 around here that I know of has gone chromebooks, the hardware is junk, the OS is slow but they are manageable and thanks to that and some - I'm sure - 'scrupulous' dealing with the MoE and its OSS zealot advisors GAPS and chromebooks rule here.

We have gone 365 in several schools and are trying to go for the MS tablets - as they are faster, more varied uses, better integration with existing systems - but it is a loosing battle, GAPS now has Classrooms for free where as you need to build everything from scratch in sharepoint on 365. They have chromebooks that can be managed for all apps and can login to their school account rather than having to create a separate liveID for every student if we wanted even free apps.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinP View Post
    Getting the appx files is actually quite easy, I followed the following guide Where is Windows 8's "package cache" for store applications? - Super User and installed from a usb stick , now all I need is to install and figure out sccm ?
    That doesn't work at least not when I tried. The App checks back to see if it is licensed and fails the licensing check

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12