+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, Stop Appdata/Themes from saving in Technical; Morning all, I am putting the finishing touches to my 8.1 deployment and have hit a problem which I could ...
    Thank Post

Stop Appdata/Themes from saving

Morning all,
    I am putting the finishing touches to my 8.1 deployment and have hit a problem which I could use some help with. I want to set all users to have the same background image which works however it saves it back to *Userarea*\Appdata\Microsoft\Windows\Themes and will not update which is a minor problem for me as we update the background daily.
    As it is not part of the roaming profile I can not use the "exclude directories" section in group policy and have also tried to setup a delete file from %HOMESHARE%\AppData\Microsoft\Windows\Themes etc but still nothing.
    I am not keen on a logoff script but may have to resort to that at some point.

I should add I have desktop wallpaper set in GP to a location on the local machine but it seems to read the one from the appdata first.

Anyone out there who can offer a fix or pointer please?

Thanks
    Last edited by robjduk; 12th May 2014 at 10:46 AM.

Thank Post
    In case anyone was interested I have found a fix (not a great one). I have set up a file screen on the server to scan for and remove "CachedImage_1024_768_POS2.jpg" which seems to be doing the job.

Would love to hear of a better way to do this though. As with most things, I assume there is a tickbox somewhere.

Thank Post
    I made a very basic app in VB.net which runs at log in and every 30 seconds it checks the screen resolution. it will then apply one of many images saved in a folder eg. background1024x768.png or background1366x768.png. If there is no file for the resolution it then applies a standard 1280x1024 image.

This is useful when deploying the same build image to different computers/monitor sizes around the school.

I can share the code if you like?

Thank you,

Thank Post
    thanks for the offer but I have found my server level fix is working surprisingly well!

Thanks anyway though

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread