+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8.1 Update 2 to be released in September? in Technical; Originally Posted by Norphy The Start Screen does have reduced functionality compared to the Start Menu though. The Start Screen ...
  1. #16

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,178
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 332 Times in 236 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    The Start Screen does have reduced functionality compared to the Start Menu though. The Start Screen doesn't have jump lists which, as a power user, I use quite heavily. Yes, shortcuts in the taskbar still have them but I don't especially want a ton of pinned shortcuts taking up space there all the time. At least on the Start Menu they're not visible when I don't need them to be.
    That's the first constructive criticism of the Start Screen I've heard, so kudos is due. OTH, as you're the first person to bring it up I'm wondering how critical it is to most!

    There are things to complain about in W8/1/1, but I really feel that the Start Screen is (for most users) an "it's different!" complaint. As I said, the efforts to force users to the Store are much more annoying, as is (as I've just been reminded) the inability to update from MS while in Audit Mode.

  2. #17

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,554
    Thank Post
    229
    Thanked 317 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    Where did I say that? I said that the Start Screen was a retrograde step from the Start Menu on Windows boxes. I stand by that for desktop usage. It makes sense on a tablet, yes but on a desktop it's awful. I didn't deem anyone to be an idiot from the stone age, stop putting words in people's mouths.

    <edit> in fact it was Robjduk who called people who don't like the Start Screen idiots from the Stone Age. Simcfc73 then said that normal PC users prefer the start menu over the start screen which I then agreed with.</edit>
    Thankyou for stating that, which you agreed with... I was NOT putting anything in your mouth merely stating the fact that was and is the idea you are backing here the fact you agree that all PC users are somehow not as intelligent or refined as Mac users "living in the stone age" is a BOLD statement and a stupid one at that this is my point you are agreeing that was the case, trying to prove to me that Windows hasn't changed as much as Mac is your opinion that's not fact it's your opinion, to an end user it has changed loads! The point I was making is why that comment about PC users living in the stone age is valid, this was what I was trying to understand when Microsoft and Apple have both changed and adapted a LOT over time to the point where a Mac even uses the same hardware as a PC. So please stop going off on a tangent and trying to make this another episode of "oh my Apple's better than your Microsoft" this is not the case this was my reason for posting what I did and I'd like you to answer it as I find it insulting and damn right stupid to say the least:

    Why do you think that PC users are living in the stone age, are you trying to say I am old fashioned and not keeping up with the times just because I don't use the Mac Operating System for my main PC? That's stupid, and you and whoever else posted that have insulted me!

  3. #18
    Pottsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nottinghamsire
    Posts
    759
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 52 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I'd argue different rather than worse. Surely, as (presumably) power users, very few of us pressed start and scrolled down the list rather than start typing? So no change. Non-power users usually have desktops that are a lot harder to find anything on than the Start Screen to launch programs, so a probable improvement.
    I don't believe that many power users type. As a power user I almost never just started typing. Drop list was my preferred method as its faster more efficient. Two mouse clicks to not only load up the program but any recent files related to that program.

    The new start menu is worse not just different. It lost useful functions, takes up far to much space and is generally less efficient to use. You end up with less information over a larger area of space. For someone like me who has Arthritis and wants to keep movement down to a minimum that is very irritating. On top of that it takes up the full screen which can distract or break up your work flow.

    I also dislike the colours all the sharp lines and solid colour can cause users a lot of eye strain. Eye strain problems seem to be 10 fold worse with windows 8. Users who have no problem in Win 7 struggle in win 8 as all the nice soft colour options have been removed.

    To me the UI in win 8 does feel a bit like the stone age although it works on tablets. It reminds me of the terrible AoL and other UI from the early 1990's. Simple things like not being able to preview unread emails only is a large step backwards. The removal of colours again a step back.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 25th April 2014 at 02:27 PM.

  4. #19
    Norphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Harpenden
    Posts
    2,318
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 293 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Thankyou for stating that, which you agreed with... I was NOT putting anything in your mouth merely stating the fact that was and is the idea you are backing here the fact you agree that all PC users are somehow not as intelligent or refined as Mac users "living in the stone age" is a BOLD statement and a stupid one at that this is my point you are agreeing that was the case, trying to prove to me that Windows hasn't changed as much as Mac is your opinion that's not fact it's your opinion, to an end user it has changed loads! The point I was making is why that comment about PC users living in the stone age is valid, this was what I was trying to understand when Microsoft and Apple have both changed and adapted a LOT over time to the point where a Mac even uses the same hardware as a PC. So please stop going off on a tangent and trying to make this another episode of "oh my Apple's better than your Microsoft" this is not the case this was my reason for posting what I did and I'd like you to answer it as I find it insulting and damn right stupid to say the least:

    Why do you think that PC users are living in the stone age, are you trying to say I am old fashioned and not keeping up with the times just because I don't use the Mac Operating System for my main PC? That's stupid, and you and whoever else posted that have insulted me!
    WTF? Where did I say any of that? I didn't insult Windows users. I am a Windows user. Using and managing Windows systems is my living and has been for the past 16 years. I use Windows 8.1 at work and have Windows 7 installed at home. I haven't said anywhere that Macs are better than PCs or that Mac users are better than Windows users.

    The comment about the stone age was made by Robjduk originally. He said
    If true then Microsoft are sadly bowing down to the idiots from the stone age.
    which was in reply to MS putting the start menu back into Windows 8.1. Robjduk was making that comment about people who don't like the start screen.

    Sim then replied
    Or 'PC Users' as normal people call them.
    Which implies to me that he thinks that people who don't like the start screen aren't stone aged idiots but normal PC users. I agreed with that point and I thanked the post. I haven't insulted anyone on this thread which frankly is more than I can say about you. All I've tried to say is that the Windows desktop hasn't changed that much since Windows 95 (it hasn't) and that the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X was huge in terms of UI (It was)

  5. #20

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Microsoft really have two choices - either have one OS that caters for all, or have two slightly varying OSes for the home and business/school market.

    The reality is quite simple - Microsoft make most of their revenue from corporate IT globally, so whoever made the decision to remove the Start Menu completely has mis-understood this. Removing it by default is one option, but removing it without the option of bringing it back was poorly thought out.

    Windows 3.1 didn't have a Start Menu, but only a Desktop. Windows 95 through to Windows 7 maintained both the Start Menu and Desktop, then all of a sudden Microsoft removed the Start Menu and hid the Desktop. Call me cynical, but it's no wonder statistically why Windows 8 has been badly received and this is why Microsoft are making great efforts to re-introduce the likes of a Start Menu.

    There's no reason why a modern OS cannot have a Start Menu, Desktop and Metro and finally this is what appears to be happening with Windows 8.1 Update 2. I still think (if Microsoft finally get it right), most decision makers would opt for Windows 9 as all these options will be available out the box.

    I still don't understand why Microsoft don't make Metro available when a touch screen device is detected/installed. It doesn't work with a mouse and keyboard, so why force it on users?

  6. #21

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,554
    Thank Post
    229
    Thanked 317 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    207
    Ugh. He was referring to PC users being back in the stone age and that's how I took it and still take it that way! This then implies that you and all the others are stating that PC Users are old fashioned and need to keep with the times all based on the OS they use. If he didn't mean it that way it should have been worded better as people could take that comment either way, if this was the case you should have stated that was the way it was intended to be heard but you didn't

    I am not arguing that's how I took it and that's why I was questioning the comment to then have you get involved and start a complete new debate about which one looks older and trying to state that Mac is more futuristic only angered me further so maybe we should drop this now. Yes?
    Last edited by abillybob; 25th April 2014 at 02:51 PM.

  7. #22
    Norphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Harpenden
    Posts
    2,318
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 293 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    116
    ...

    We'll have to agree to disagree.

    I didn't think I was starting a new debate about which one looks older. I thought I was continuing the conversation. You originally said that Microsoft seem to be the only company trying to move forward. I disagreed and tried to use the transition from OS 9 to OS X and the various different Linux shells as an example that they're not. For the record, I didn't try to say that OS X is/was more futuristic than Windows, I'm just trying to say that that the UI shift from OS 9 to OS X is bigger than the one from Windows 95/NT 4 to Windows 7/8

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    1,834
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 91 Times in 71 Posts
    Rep Power
    50
    I hope the reps I got for my comment were for the right reason. I was mocking that people make snidey comments about us W8 haters saying we are old fashioned and stuck in the past. It defo wasn't to slam myself for being a hater.

  9. #24


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,589
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Microsoft really have two choices - either have one OS that caters for all, or have two slightly varying OSes for the home and business/school market.

    The reality is quite simple - Microsoft make most of their revenue from corporate IT globally, so whoever made the decision to remove the Start Menu completely has mis-understood this. Removing it by default is one option, but removing it without the option of bringing it back was poorly thought out.

    Windows 3.1 didn't have a Start Menu, but only a Desktop. Windows 95 through to Windows 7 maintained both the Start Menu and Desktop, then all of a sudden Microsoft removed the Start Menu and hid the Desktop. Call me cynical, but it's no wonder statistically why Windows 8 has been badly received and this is why Microsoft are making great efforts to re-introduce the likes of a Start Menu.

    There's no reason why a modern OS cannot have a Start Menu, Desktop and Metro and finally this is what appears to be happening with Windows 8.1 Update 2. I still think (if Microsoft finally get it right), most decision makers would opt for Windows 9 as all these options will be available out the box.

    I still don't understand why Microsoft don't make Metro available when a touch screen device is detected/installed. It doesn't work with a mouse and keyboard, so why force it on users?
    i disagree about it not working with a keyboard and mouse. I much prefer running windows 8 on my non touchscreen laptop/nuc than windows 7 and esp when the nuc is into a big tv it makes navigating much easier than the start menu ever would. Again yo can force it to the all apps view and fore that alphabetical or catagories etc so its the same structure as the start menu (if you expand every directory). Im not sure there is anything i miss about the start menu i generally pin the dozen or so programs i use to the start screen and click the one i nwant same as i would pin them on the win7 start menu. granted hovering over word and seeing what i recently opened is handy sometimes but its not something i miss much and thats about the only functonality i can think of thats missing

  10. #25
    Norphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Harpenden
    Posts
    2,318
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 293 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    I hope the reps I got for my comment were for the right reason. I was mocking that people make snidey comments about us W8 haters saying we are old fashioned and stuck in the past. It defo wasn't to slam myself for being a hater.
    That's certainly why I repped you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30th October 2010, 09:20 AM
  2. Office 2010 to be released to businesses on 12th May!
    By AngryTechnician in forum Office Software
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th March 2010, 08:28 PM
  3. Lockerbie Bomber is to be released
    By FN-GM in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 17th August 2009, 07:20 PM
  4. EazyDraw version 3.0 to be released at the Macworld Expo.
    By russdev in forum General EduGeek News/Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd January 2009, 07:16 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •