+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, The Start Menu is back! in Technical; Will this be enough to make the Windows 8 haters happy? Source : Engadget As a part of its Build ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,971 Posts

The Start Menu is back!

Will this be enough to make the Windows 8 haters happy?

Source: Engadget

As a part of its Build 2014 announcements, Microsoft showed off an interesting twist on its classic Start Menu. Coming to Windows 8.1 in a future update, it has the look of the Start Menu Windows users have experienced for years, but adds the Live Tiles Microsoft has been pushing as a part of Windows 8 and Windows Phone. Terry Myerson made the announcement as part of an example of how universal Windows apps will be able to run in a window (and on Xbox), although users craving something familiar will probably just be happy to see their old Start Menu again.

Last edited by Arthur; 3rd April 2014 at 12:52 AM.

2. Thanks to Arthur from:

zag (3rd April 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's what they should have done in the first place. I'd be much happier deploying 8.1 to my users with a start menu like that. Updating it without completely changing it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nooo!!! The Start Screen was great. That will be rubbish on touch screens.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That is how they should have done it. Metro apps are just that, apps. They should run windowed not exclusive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    If you can optionally turn the live tiles off altogether then this would be a good move. Microsoft have to accept that there are many customers who are simply not interested in Apps and are happy with the more 'traditional' method of installing applications.

Let's just hope this becomes the default for Windows 9. Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 have had a few noticeable GUI changes which you could argue may confuse users even more. At least with Windows 7 you're guaranteed everyone's desktop looks the same!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Microsoft have to accept that there are many customers who are simply not interested in Apps and are happy with the more 'traditional' method of installing applications.
    You don't have to use the apps, you know.

All of the tiles for the Metro apps can be removed and the Start Screen could be filled with tiles for regular desktop programs instead.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Nooo!!! The Start Screen was great. That will be rubbish on touch screens.
    Well hopefully Microsoft will have the decency to actually have a separate interface for touch devices and desktop devices now, i.e. give you a choice. Forcing that onto touch screens would be just as dumb as forcing the start screen onto desktop users. Trying to shoehorn the two together was a bad idea and whoever had it should feel bad. The thing I find most frustrating about Win8/8.1 is being dumped into the Modern interface when I least expect or in the case of the Surface, being dumped back onto the desktop.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    You don't have to use the apps, you know.

All of the tiles for the Metro apps can be removed and the Start Screen could be filled with tiles for regular desktop programs instead.
    I understand your point and Microsoft have made a good move here merging the two platforms, but you should still have the choice of removing them altogether - be it by script, GPO or manually (on a standalone machine) altogether. Tiles do not work on a desktop/notebook. Microsoft are still struggling to grasp this concept.

Put it this way, I've not come across a single (non technical person) yet who gets or understands what tiles are all about - they just want a clean desktop, however at the same time they do get how the iPad works. The iPad you could argue is more straight forward in layout with big icons, but the tiles are varying in colour and shape... and merged together. It doesn't work as well at all.

Thank Post
    i refuse to update now for 8.1 u1 i like my metro interface for my gaming rig, it feels so nice and i know where all is,

however i can see this working in corparte/education

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I understand your point and Microsoft have made a good move here merging the two platforms, but you should still have the choice of removing them altogether - be it by script, GPO or manually (on a standalone machine) altogether. Tiles do not work on a desktop/notebook. Microsoft are still struggling to grasp this concept.

Put it this way, I've not come across a single (non technical person) yet who gets or understands what tiles are all about - they just want a clean desktop, however at the same time they do get how the iPad works. The iPad you could argue is more straight forward in layout with big icons, but the tiles are varying in colour and shape... and merged together. It doesn't work as well at all.
    the kids at the school im at love windows 8.1. Whuile i was upgrading the suite pcs to dual boot 8.1/7 they were all but fighting to sue the 8.1 pcs. They just got it straight away

Thank Post
    Just to re-iterate a point that may get lost here....

THIS IS NOT HAPPENING IN WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE 1!!
    IT IS FOR A "FUTURE" UPDATE - POSSIBLY UPDATE 2 OR WINDOWS 9/THRESHOLD

That is all

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    the kids at the school im at love windows 8.1. Whuile i was upgrading the suite pcs to dual boot 8.1/7 they were all but fighting to sue the 8.1 pcs. They just got it straight away
    Well that's great if they did, but statistics say that globally Windows 8/8.1 are selling badly - first impressions count and as I say, most people do not get it. If I'm wrong Microsoft wouldn't be re-introducing the Start Menu now would they?

What they've created would be a good way of moving forward, but no doubt it'll be for Windows 9 as @Gatt wrote which would make more sense. I think Windows 8 is a great OS (it is generally faster than 7), but they just need to tweak the interface.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    I would argue that this is because kids get excited about new "stuff" rather than any actual preference for Windows 8. that said, it's a good sign that kids still get excited over a new OS, I remember a similar situation when I was still at school in an IT suite full of Windows 3.1 machines fighting for the Windows 95 PC and before that, in a DOS suite fighting for the new 3.1 PCs. Encourage their enthusiasm!

Thank Post
    From what I read about the Update 1 (gizmodo), when doing a fresh install it will customize the experience on if it detects a touchscreen or not. With all the options then being possible to switch on or off to suit your tastes. Ergo, in the future update 2/Win 9 it will probably leave the start screen on for touchscreen and enable the classic start menu for mice enabled PC's. But you could then presumably switch it to whatever you like?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They took their time, but got there in the end

Lets hope this makes it into Windows 9!

From the event I went to at Microsoft a few days ago, it seems Group Polices are on their way out...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast