+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, Update Windows 8 from VLSC to Windows 8.1 in Technical; Hey Guys Realised yesterday after finally getting my hand on a copy of Windows 8 that there is no way ...

Thank Post

Update Windows 8 from VLSC to Windows 8.1

Hey Guys

Realised yesterday after finally getting my hand on a copy of Windows 8 that there is no way to upgrade this to 8.1 for free like you would a retail copy. Yet I really needed Windows 8.1 has anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers
    Alex

Thank Post
    If you;ve got the 8.0 iso from the VLSC then just get the 8.1 iso from the VLSC, mount it and run it. It upgrades fine. Did it on wednesday on a tablet.

Thank Post
    I don't have access, it's from County's VLSC and it means we would have to buy a whole new license code so we can get sent the disc and new License. Is there no way at all of being able to update it?

Thank Post
    Then not that I know of - sorry

Thank Post
    I don't understand why as it's not exactly a new OS only an update! Think it's stupid you can't update normally with a VLSC copy!

Thank Post
    It's a new OS in the same way Server 2003 R2 is - it changes massive amounts of the OS, yet will upgrade nicely in place.

I'm guessing that county don't have an annual subscription then, if you can't get the newer ISO? That's mighty odd.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    It's a new OS in the same way Server 2003 R2 is - it changes massive amounts of the OS, yet will upgrade nicely in place.

I'm guessing that county don't have an annual subscription then, if you can't get the newer ISO? That's mighty odd.
    I don't really know how they do it. All I know is the school have to buy a new license off them, which I think is stupid for something that's a free update on most other computers!

Thank Post
    its bad enough on pro you have to update via the store did 2 laptops to 8.1 this week (school dosent have ees) and had to take them home to update and twice the data usage to do the same thing twice i dont get why it cant be released like old service packs were as an exe

Thank Post
    The school - have to buy a new Windows 8.1 license - from your LA? If so, this is not a good way of handling your software licensing. If the LA have a subscription, 8.1 will show up in their VLSC. Are they acting as a reseller for MAK keys or something?

Am I getting the wrong end of the stick? MS won't make you pay for a new copy of 8.1 Pro, but they will for Enterprise (via software assurance).

I suggest you maybe look into getting delegated rights to your school's own VL agreement on VLSC, or get your own licensing. This doesn't sound right at all - if I want an upgrade copy of Windows, I just sign into the VLSC and download it. I can also do nice easy in-place upgrades of 8 with this, so don't need to use the Windows Store.
    Last edited by 3s-gtech; 7th March 2014 at 11:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    The school - have to buy a new Windows 8.1 license - from your LA? If so, this is not a good way of handling your software licensing. If the LA have a subscription, 8.1 will show up in their VLSC. Are they acting as a reseller for MAK keys or something?

Am I getting the wrong end of the stick? MS won't make you pay for a new copy of 8.1 Pro, but they will for Enterprise (via software assurance).

I suggest you maybe look into getting delegated rights to your school's own VL agreement on VLSC, or get your own licensing. This doesn't sound right at all - if I want an upgrade copy of Windows, I just sign into the VLSC and download it. I can also do nice easy in-place upgrades of 8 with this, so don't need to use the Windows Store.
    I've told the school to buy into the VLSC for ages but they won't listen, I know it's ridiculous it also effects my performance as it can hold me back weeks at a time!

Thank Post
    I couldn't access the VLSC this week for two days, I was pulling my hair out (and there isn't enough for that). If you are paying the LA for licenses, you have a right to those licenses. You shouldn't be paying your LA (beyond a yearly buy-in to the VL program) for individual software. I suspect they are violating their MS licensing if that's the case.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread