+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, Upgrading to Windows 8 from Vista in Technical; Hello, What's the most cost effective way of upgrading a laptop that is currently running Vista? Are there any cheap ...
    Thank Post

Upgrading to Windows 8 from Vista

Hello,

What's the most cost effective way of upgrading a laptop that is currently running Vista? Are there any cheap options? I'm helping a friend to upgrade and she wants Windows 8 but i'm unsure if it's possible to purchase the 'upgrade' version to upgrade Vista...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    Hello,

What's the most cost effective way of upgrading a laptop that is currently running Vista? Are there any cheap options? I'm helping a friend to upgrade and she wants Windows 8 but i'm unsure if it's possible to purchase the 'upgrade' version to upgrade Vista...
    You can use a Windows 8 upgrade disc with any legitimate copy of XP, Vista or 7. However, for XP and Vista it won't be a true 'upgrade', it'll be a clean install (i.e. all files, folders and settings lost, so backup first!)

Upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows Vista or Windows XP - Microsoft Windows

OEM copies are cheaper than retail and include everything except Microsoft Support (I don't know a soul alive who has ever called Microsoft for support installing Windows on a personal machine). As they're meant for installation by system builders on to new machines, there is no 'upgrade' version but they're still generally cheaper.

If she happens to be student, you can get Windows 8.1 for free on Dreamspark Premium if her uni provides access (the OU do if you're studying a computing or maths degree and possibly others too): https://e5.onthehub.com
    Last edited by LosOjos; 11th February 2014 at 10:02 AM.

3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

marsdenprimary (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    You can use a Windows 8 upgrade disc with any legitimate copy of XP, Vista or 7. However, for XP and Vista it won't be a true 'upgrade', it'll be a clean install (i.e. all files, folders and settings lost, so backup first!)

Upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows Vista or Windows XP - Microsoft Windows

OEM copies are cheaper than retail and include everything except Microsoft Support (I don't know a soul alive who has ever called Microsoft for support installing Windows on a personal machine). As they're meant for installation by system builders on to new machines, there is no 'upgrade' version but they're still generally cheaper.

If she happens to be student, you can get Windows 8.1 for free on Dreamspark Premium if her uni provides access (the OU do if you're studying a computing or maths degree and possibly others too): https://e5.onthehub.com
    Thankyou. I'm not sure why she wants Windows 8 to be honest- i'm trying to persuade her to run Windows 7 which would be an easy upgrade and cheaper! Cheers for the info.

Thank Post
    Does she have to have Windows? Linux maybe?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    Does she have to have Windows? Linux maybe?
    If only :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    Thankyou. I'm not sure why she wants Windows 8 to be honest- i'm trying to persuade her to run Windows 7 which would be an easy upgrade and cheaper!
    Why do you think it would be easier?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread