+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8.1 in education in Technical; Hi all, How many of you have/are planning to implement windows 8.1 into an educational environment on a domain rather ...

Thank Post

Windows 8.1 in education

Hi all,

How many of you have/are planning to implement windows 8.1 into an educational environment on a domain rather than stand alone?

What issues have you had to over come?

Do Staff like/dislike the changes?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well we wouldn't have anything not on the domain but we have setup most of it, but been to busy to roll it out. 1 Annoying issue is the it removes duplicate shortcuts from the start screen.

Thank Post
    We have 8.0 on more than 200 PCs. I opted for it over win7 due to the quick boot time. We have Classic Shell to make it more like what people are used to. The other upside is if we start getting windows tablets which are fast coming down to our price point we will be in a great position.

I often have staff wince when I say we are upgrading their PC to win8 but they are always fine when I check back with them a few days later.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have just set up a room of 16 touch screen 8.1's. It nearly gave me a break down.

My issue was the fact i've been adding OS on top of OS (not out of choice) and not doing the ground work to go with it in regards to GP's and legacy stuff. This has led to me having to recreate my curriculum GPO which has mucked other (minor) things up. It's still not working the way i want it to either. My main issue is shortcuts not appearing on the Start Screen.

I've actually yet to allow anyone to use it because we use roaming profiles and it apparently doesn't play nice with mixed OS environments. There's patches and reg fixes to sort it, i just need to test it.
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 5th February 2014 at 09:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Planning. Maybe 2015/16. Maybe 2017.

Too much legacy kit (I.e no touch interfaces) to make it worthwhile yet.

Realistically 18 months after w8.2/9

Quite frankly after smb2.1 I'm in no hurry to experience smb3 until long after it has been baked solid.

The really tough call is office 2013, since sharepoint and lync really need that to be amazingly great... Trouble is the UI changes seem to cause people more grief than the introduction of the ribbon!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    I have just set up a room of 16 8.1's. It nearly gave me a break down.
    Having read up on some of the things one needs to understand are different between 7 and 8, I'm not surprised.

Are there medals/badges of honour in our profession?

Thank Post
    Any of you guys getting the Wifi drop outs with 8.1?

Its driving our staff/students nuts to the point where I am pulling the pin and start rolling back to W7.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwestlake View Post
    Hi all,

How many of you have/are planning to implement windows 8.1 into an educational environment on a domain rather than stand alone?

What issues have you had to over come?

Do Staff like/dislike the changes?

Thanks
    Don't be silly, Windows 8 is a failure of an operating system and 8.1 is hardly an improvement. Windows 9 is just around the corner.

I expect the next version will be much more suited to educational environments with desktop and laptop PCs without touchscreens.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just finished the MDT deployment share for the second school, doing the rest throughout the week. We are going all in 8.1 for all new images, it is faster and now finally customisable via GP, the winey staff generally end up singing its praises two weeks down the line, it is faster at everything, imaging, booting, file syncing, installing etc. Apart from the temporary moans about the scary squares that show up when they click the start menu it is better in almost all metrics.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryJr View Post
    Any of you guys getting the Wifi drop outs with 8.1?

Its driving our staff/students nuts to the point where I am pulling the pin and start rolling back to W7.
    Funnily enough, I had this on my Home Laptop, Drove me nuts!!! Turned out it was my Router, I had it set to 'Auto' detect the best channel to use, soon as I turned that to Channel 6, it worked like a dream!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    It's not something I'd deploy. Windows 8.1 is definitely better than Windows 8, but there's still room for improvement. Changes at Microsoft HQ, I'm hoping Windows 9 will deliver.

Please also remember that Windows 7 is very tried and tested and is support until 2020. I'm not saying you should run it until then, however it does buy you time when making key decisions you want your organisation to run.

In the short term every Network Manager should concentrate on phasing out XP if they haven't already done so!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Currently we're 99.9% Windows 7 (I'm sure there's still 1 or 2 XP machines hiding in corners). About to start a ground up review of ICT use. I can see Windows 8.1/9 being a possibility on laptops over the next 2-3 years and the use of desktops with Windows 7 will probably decline over that time. Not sure if/where Android/IOS/Chrome fit into the wider picture and may in turn question how much we move to newer versions of Windows.

Thank Post
    There are some really good things that 8.1 does. Sadly, at least for me, these are way overshadowed by the rediculous way MS tried to make a one size fits all, touch enabled OS. This has resulted in a really poor user experience for anyone not using it on a touch enabled device.
    We're concentrating on getting rid of the final Windows XP machines and getting to 100% Windows 7.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    We've been working on Windows 8 support to the point where we could deploy it if we had to, but my intentions are that we skip 8.x and wait for Windows 9.

I think those that are expecting Windows 9 to be a complete rollback to Windows 7 in terms of desktop/start menu look and feel will be disappointed but I do think it will turn out to be a good compromise between that and "metro".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Don't be silly, Windows 8 is a failure of an operating system and 8.1 is hardly an improvement. Windows 9 is just around the corner.

I expect the next version will be much more suited to educational environments with desktop and laptop PCs without touchscreens.
    I agree

My work is running mostly Windows 8/8.1 with StartIsBack

16. Thanks to josiahe from:

zag (11th February 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast