+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8.1 in education in Technical; Our migration from 7 to 8 threw up a few issues with roaming profiles. (Why didn't they call them username.V3 ...

Thank Post
    Our migration from 7 to 8 threw up a few issues with roaming profiles. (Why didn't they call them username.V3 if it won't talk to the V2 profiles properly???) We just redirected the 8 profiles to another share until we were ready to phase out 7 completely.
    We had to rip out all of the "Metro" apps with a powershell script and disable the store via GPO, because of productivity issues with giving kids metro apps, not because they didn't work well.

8.1 was a breeze. Everything played nice except IE11, which took a little bit of tweaking for Active-X content and a few sites being forced into compatibility mode.
    The new start screen layouts are a welcome addition to Group Policy.
    DFS and Deduplication work really well in Server 2012 R2.

Our staff in general (bar the one or two that didn't get on with 7 either) have had no complaints and the kids just got on with it from the word go.

8.1 (and 8) are a massive improvement over Windows 7 in almost every aspect, live with the Start Screen for a week or two and you'll learn to love it. Everything is at your fingertips.
    I don't see this whole "Touch OS" rubbish, sorry, it works extremely well with a mouse and keyboard and is actually FAR more productive once you are using it daily.
    The Metro apps aren't needed in schools, but it's really not a lot of work to disable them. A powershell script before sysprepping and away you go.

On a side note, we have also repurposed some old netbooks and made use of Windows 8.1's (limited but very useful) Kiosk mode, we now have 20 (written off!) translator netbooks locked into the free Translate Plus app for our EAL students to use. 8 hour battery life and a boot in under 30 seconds, what's not to love?

Profile issues are rare (almost non-existent for any wired machines), the few that we have are all down to either users not logging off correctly, or our aging wireless system along with our older laptops (hoping to replace our 4/5 year old laptops and buy a brand new Ruckus system next year)
    Last edited by john2k5; 4th March 2014 at 04:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Dont Do it!! Haha we have 25 windows 8.1( were originally 8) pcs. Troubles? where do i start:

first off the kids and the staff hated Windows 8 because of its completely new OS design. No start Menu, bulky tile menus made it difficult for students to find what they were looking for. We also had an issue were when the machines were left idle for a certain period of time the connection to the server to login got disconnected and we would have to restart the machines. I thought maybe it was just windows 8 so i decided to upgrade them to windows 8.1 As far as i know Windows 8.1 can not be pushed out via WSUS(to do multiple computers at once) so i had to update each computer manually buy using the Microsoft app store. It about 3 hours per machine to update to windows 8.1. Now everyone liked windows 8.1 a lot better it runs better than 8 and kind of has a start button now. The menus are a little bit more user friendly. Now my biggest gripe with 8.1 is it is now taking my machines anywhere from 3-4 minutes to login. In comparison to my 100+ Xp and 7 machines that log onto the network in seconds. Now i know some of my trouble may be the result of my environment but over all id say stay away from Windows 8 and 8.1 and stick to windows 7.

Thank Post
    3-4 minutes? Our students are in within 30 seconds on our oldest generic 5 year old RM laptops. First login takes around 90 seconds, while it builds the profile from the default one. I suspect that a lot, if not all of it, is down to your environment.
    I should have mentioned that Oblytile helped with 8, we had the same issue with the start screen looking bland and finding icons hard to find. Windows 8.1's colouring helped this no end and removed the need for it though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    In the short term every Network Manager should concentrate on phasing out XP if they haven't already done so!
    Not always easy when schools haven't got the money to upgrade. One school I work at only had enough to upgrade the IWB laptops, class ones are still old RM's still running XP.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    similar to here @hardtailstar, most desktops are now win 7, but theres a lot of xp laptops knocking around...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12