+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, Using Office 365 Skydrive to redirect My Documents in Technical; IS this possible? - and if so - how?...

Thank Post

Using Office 365 Skydrive to redirect My Documents

IS this possible? - and if so - how?

Thank Post
    I think it is, not too sure, but that is something i'll be looking at soon. If I find anything out i'll let you know.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think so, you'll need sso turned on then you can map a drive right to their personal sharepoint pro web address. Not sure if this will work right in redirect or if you will need to add a drive map as an intermediary. It may still also prompt for sign in the first time.

There is also the matter of NTFS ownership, you may need to switch off the check to allow it to work if 365 does not present ownership information. I should be doing something simmilar shortly so hopefully will be able to test in a couple of weeks.

Thank Post
    I chose not to do this, offering Office 2013 as an alternative, providing users with the ability to easily save the their SkyDrive areas.

Thank Post
    I'd be interested if anyone figures out how to do this.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Its probably possible in some convoluted way but not practicle in real life.

I managed to map an old skydrive account years ago but it wasn't reliable and didn't scale at all.

Thank Post
    This may be of use:

On my home PC, I map a drive to a sky drive pro folder by using the WebDAV path:

\\mydefaultoffice365domain-my.sharepoint.com\DavWWWRoot\personal\user_yadda_y adda_yadda\Documents

This also works with %username%__yadda_yadda_yadda

This is on win 8.1, with dir synced account and stays active after adding site to trusted in IE and logging on at least once and ticking remember me.

I have yet to play with this on school win 7 computers - hopefully tomorrow...

Thank Post
    We are 'also' looking at this. Setting up a test GPO and will be looking at this during half term. I will keep you updated with the results.

Thank Post
    I've done something vaguely similar with my Windows 7 machine, altered the Documents library to point to the C:\Users\username\SkyDrive Pro folder and removed all other locations. This assumes you have the SkyDrive Pro client installed and then in theory you push out the custom library.ms files (assume this would work with Win8 as well) and remove any other folder redirection policies.

The thing to watch out for at that point is that each user syncs the entire contents of their SkyDrive Pro to the local machine. On a shared device, especially with SSDs you can run out of room fast. Also note if you reset profiles after each logoff you'll be wiping the cache so in theory you'll get loads of sync traffic as each user has to download their library at each logon \ new machine.

Seems like unless you're using it with true 1:1 BYOD devices SkyDrive Pro still needs a bit of work to make it a truly usable solution on a network. Some elements of the consumer Win8.1 SkyDrive would help e.g. only show stubs of files then sync on demand rather than downloading the entire contents of SkyDrive Pro (e.g. does the user need all the files to get to one of them that could be the last one to be downloaded?)
    Last edited by gshaw; 4th February 2014 at 12:30 PM.

Thank Post
    I was able to get our students Office 365 drive mapped using Group Policy Preferences. Here is our path... https://BLAH-my.sharepoint.com/perso..._org/Documents
    There is one big gotcha.
    If the folder mapping to work you must sign in and click "Keep me signed in". Then logoff, login and the mapping will work.
    Thanks,
    Jason

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oliphanj View Post
    I was able to get our students Office 365 drive mapped using Group Policy Preferences. Here is our path... https://BLAH-my.sharepoint.com/perso..._org/Documents
    There is one big gotcha.
    If the folder mapping to work you must sign in and click "Keep me signed in". Then logoff, login and the mapping will work.
    Thanks,
    Jason
    Which makes it utterly useless

Thank Post
    Yes, pretty much... I am planning on opening a case with MS Premier about this issue to see what they say.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread