+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 8 Thread, Using Office 365 Skydrive to redirect My Documents in Technical; Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall Not currently possible. The desire to want a mapped drive to the cloud is something that ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Not currently possible.

The desire to want a mapped drive to the cloud is something that comes up a lot - but remember that OneDrive for Business is not like a file share on a regular server, it's a part of SharePoint. The best way to interact with it in a shared device setting is via the browser, or natively through applications like the Office 2013 suite.

It's a different way of working - especially with 1TB of quota.

(I'm not saying that it wouldn't be super-convenient if it worked the old-school way though...)
    All very well in theory but once you step outside of Office 2013 the current methods for working with OneDrive for Business don't really work in an efficient way outside of 1:1 BYOD (even then the desktop client isn't 100% reliable)

Telling someone to save locally then manually upload via the web at the end of each session is too clunky and will likely lead to misplaced files and lost data. The desktop sync client could be a way forward but it needs to be more intelligent, as it stands it's a bit of a blunt instrument syncing everything or nothing whereas the consumer OneDrive in 8.1 is more flexible.

OneDrive for Business has great potential, I moved all my files onto it and the increased mobility is great but it just needs a bit more flexibility in places imo.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    All very well in theory but once you step outside of Office 2013 the current methods for working with OneDrive for Business don't really work in an efficient way outside of 1:1 BYOD (even then the desktop client isn't 100% reliable)
    Yes - it's not optimal in that scenario right now, I'm pretty sure it'll get better as time moves on. It's quite a tough challenge to solve when you deconstruct it.

Up to 1TB of files in the cloud... all of which are fully accessible any time, on any shared device, without the hassle of having to fully sync, without suffering the potential bottlenecks of rural broadband or outages, whilst keeping full version history of the files, and sharing, collaboration and enterprise social features... I wouldn't want to have to solve it!

Right now I still think there's a place for a file server in schools. It won't always be that way, but right now I think it is.

Random longshot thought: a bunch of well connected schools, like an academy group, could club together for a StorSimple appliance to provide file storage to users without the burden of having to have a huge datacentre to host it. Spread the cost between the participant schools. They scale up cheaply with Azure storage, so get some of the cloud benefit (although none of the SharePoint Online/OneDrive for Business/Yammer benefits), but also have all the native integration, drive mapping, etc. that you'd expect from a file server.

Depends on how important having that drive mapping is in the long-run... :/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Depends on how important having that drive mapping is in the long-run... :/
    Depends if MS can persuade third party app vendors to build native OneDrive for Business APIs into their programs

The consumer side feels like it's a generation in front right now, perhaps that's deliberate to use that market as a test bed then put the best bits into Office 365.
    Last edited by gshaw; 4th August 2014 at 03:23 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12