+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows 8 Thread, Start Screen in Technical; Thank you! Will give that crack now....
    Thank Post
    Thank you! Will give that crack now.

Thank Post
    Works like a charm!

Thank Post
    I am bumping this alongside the other thread, because it's doing my head in.

Have an Start Screen created that's an XML file, has the correct permissions and all that and opens up in notepad fine. Dump it in NETLOGON, add the Start Screen layout to our current GPO with the correct path. Doesn't do anything when logging in as myself/local admin, a test pupil account or member of staff.

Any more suggestions before I put a gun to my head?

Thank Post
    I would suggest you copy the xml to the machine rather than running it from a network location.

On another note make sure you are putting "-As xml" at the end when creating your XML file. That got me for a while.

Your not alone with Windows 8 being a pain in the arse mate but sure it will work out.

Thank Post
    Which machine, sorry? The test machine I've installed 8.1 on? Admittedly I can be a moron sometimes with stuff like this

And yeah, definitely was as an XML file when I created it. EURGH,
    Last edited by rickjames; 1st May 2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: I'm a moron

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    I would suggest you copy the xml to the machine rather than running it from a network location.
    I think we've tried that one (me and @rickjames work at the same school), although it's worth giving another try. We're aiming for a common Start Screen for all users (probably with variations for Pupils, Staff, Early Years and Admin Staff), easily editable in one place so if a teacher wants an easy-to-find shortcut to a website or something we can add one right away and have it appear on all the machines in the school.

Thank Post
    I have a group policy to create a C:\8.1 folder and further policy to copy the xml files and any other tweaks related to the OS such as default backgrounds.
    A sign that it is trying to apply the policy is when you sign in and it hasn't applied the XML, it still wont allow you to rearrange the start screen meaning it sees the policy but there is an issue with the file. As a user, see if you can navigate to where the .xml is stored to clear it as a permission problem.
    Also maybe for trouble shooting create a GP with just the policies / Administrative templates / Start Menu and Taskbar / Start Screen Layout in while disabling user configuration too. Rule out an issue with the rest of the group policies.

8. Thanks to robjduk from:

dhicks (1st May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    The following blog post suggests exporting the Start Screen layout in binary, rather than XML format.

Customizing the Windows 8.1 Start Screen? Don’t follow Microsoft’s guidance « Aaron Parker

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The following blog post suggests exporting the Start Screen layout in binary, rather than XML format.
    That allows us to change the Start Screen for the default profile at installation time, so after a machine is set up any new logins get the custom menu. Subsequent logins don't get any updates to the Start Screen. We've given this a try, it seems to work (with some items missing, but that's a separate issue) - if nothiong else we could make a custom Start Screen binary file with links to basic applications and shortcuts to some network folders that we could then update as wished later on.

Thank Post
    Right, we partly figured out what we were doing wrong; we have an 'All Workstations' and 'All Users' GPO; I'd be applying it in the former and wouldn't work because I'd been playing around with it in the latter and had forgotten about it!

So, it's partly working but a load of apps aren't showing up; if anyone could help me out or even take a look at the XML file I'd happily PM it over to you.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Same issues here! I specified the XML in a user policy from a network share. The only tiles that show up were the calculator and Metro IE.. No office 2013. I also noted that all the other apps were still available but had no icons. (in the swipe down)..

I spent 3 weeks honing the pupils GPO for Windows 7 and now I feel I have to do it all over again for 8

Thank Post
    If you have UAC disabled apps wont show on the start screen. Don't Know if that helps

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123