+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Hands up...who has got Windows 8 running succesfully in school in Technical; Why, you guys have made me feel SO much better. As for the classic shell and the GP to boot ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why, you guys have made me feel SO much better.

As for the classic shell and the GP to boot to straight to desktop. I may be picking brains.

Thank Post
    We have 1 PC running it. Its a admin (not student, not IT) PC and we have it booting straight to desktop with classic shell.

So far I haven't heard any issues.

What's more is its used by an older person who migrated straight from XP!

We have 2 other potential PCs that we could run 8 on right now, but are running 7 instead.

Must say, there are some stupid parts to it like it doing a force reboot for windows updates, but overall it is OK.

Oh, and it doesn't play all 2 nice with impero sometime - it shows up 2x in the console (eating 2x licenses) and shows programs running when user is logged off - but doesn't matter so much.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Why, you guys have made me feel SO much better.

As for the classic shell and the GP to boot to straight to desktop. I may be picking brains.
    Another vote for Classic Shell I use it on my laptop and that makes life so much better and makes it real again

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Another vote for Classic Shell I use it on my laptop and that makes life so much better and makes it real again
    Oooh! Good idea!!

Thank Post
    We will be deploying Windows 8.1 to approximately 600-800 student devices for the start of the Australian school year.
    The base SOE is provided by our State Education Department with the schools then modifying it to include their own applications.
    The SOE by default is set to boot to the Desktop by default. And then the Start Screen has customised tiles from OblyTile.
    The end result looks a little like this (With our own customisations like CS6/Printers/Shutdown Buttons/Firefox
    1534745_10202114201209842_612888378_o.jpg

Thank Post
    We are moving from Windows 7/Office 2012 to Windows 8.1/Office 2013. We have some machines and tablets on it right now already (admins, office staff, etc). Imaging a little over 300 windows 8.1 pro tablets right now for our Common Core/SBAC implementation. Hopefull we will migrate the remaining 1200 computers to 8.1 over the rest of the school year and summer. We hope to be on 8.1 district wide by next christmas.

We are not running any 3rd party windows 7 start emulators or anything. Booting to the Start Menu. Using GPOs to manage the start menu and such and deploying Apps with SCCM.

We rely on the "search everywhere" feature a lot too but other than that, no issues with the new start menu. We are teaching people gestures on the laptops/tablets and also keyboard shortcuts but really not many people are having issues with 8.1.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MordyT View Post
    We have 1 PC running it. Its a admin (not student, not IT) PC and we have it booting straight to desktop with classic shell.

So far I haven't heard any issues.

What's more is its used by an older person who migrated straight from XP!

We have 2 other potential PCs that we could run 8 on right now, but are running 7 instead.

Must say, there are some stupid parts to it like it doing a force reboot for windows updates, but overall it is OK.

Oh, and it doesn't play all 2 nice with impero sometime - it shows up 2x in the console (eating 2x licenses) and shows programs running when user is logged off - but doesn't matter so much.
    what version you running?

As certainly not seen that as far as I aware anywhere else? If running older version maybe issues but if on newer version..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by niallm View Post
    We will be deploying Windows 8.1 to approximately 600-800 student devices for the start of the Australian school year.
    The base SOE is provided by our State Education Department with the schools then modifying it to include their own applications.
    The SOE by default is set to boot to the Desktop by default. And then the Start Screen has customised tiles from OblyTile.
    The end result looks a little like this (With our own customisations like CS6/Printers/Shutdown Buttons/Firefox
    1534745_10202114201209842_612888378_o.jpg
    That's actually very nice. Making metro icons makes one heck of a difference to the way the UI feels. Tho.. we have so many apps we'd have pages and pages of it!

As for us, personally I'd love to deploy Windows 8.1 with something like start8/classic shell installed as a lot of the underlying improvements are worth it. But getting it past my boss is another matter >.>

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    That's actually very nice. Making metro icons makes one heck of a difference to the way the UI feels. Tho.. we have so many apps we'd have pages and pages of it!

As for us, personally I'd love to deploy Windows 8.1 with something like start8/classic shell installed as a lot of the underlying improvements are worth it. But getting it past my boss is another matter >.>
    It wasn't my initial plan to use OblyTile for aid the customisation of the start screen. But after I saw how non cohesive our own applications looked compared to the ones included in the original SOE, we decided to spend the afternoon developing Tiles for our own applications. :P

In terms of Start8/ClassicShell. Before commencing work on my image build, for interests sake I contacted Stardock for a quote Start8 to see how much it would cost to purchase for inclusion on our SOE. The quote they provided wasn't terribly economical for school's who wished to provide a Start Menu....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    what version you running?

As certainly not seen that as far as I aware anywhere else? If running older version maybe issues but if on newer version..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I actually would really like to use the metro system. I think it would be awesome for our littlest users.

Those who are saying they've run it successfully using just GPO's, care to share?

So far I get a blank start screen and no way to get to the desktop unless I click around in the corner which seems to bring the button back.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm seriously looking at 8.1 for September. Currently sussing out WDS to first ensure I can deploy it in the same way we do with W7 and now Working on GPO's and how it will fit together with the CSE System we have here. My biggest nightmare at the moment is the Start Screen, trying to sort this .xml and AppID malarkey so most commonly used apps show on the Start Screen with all the appropriate apps in the secondary start screen.

We've got a new Sixth Form opening up in September so really want to have it in place for that but seriously need to get it sorted and thoroughly tested.

Pete

Thank Post
    Yes but only booting to desktop, don't use metro interface at all, whole school went from XP to 8 in September staff hated it at first but seem to be ok with it now, children just got on with it. Most pointless thing they bought was 12 28" touch screens that just don't work very well with anything other than activinspire.

We've still got huge issues with legacy software, printers and even eportal not working properly with 8 god only knows what 9 will bring...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is the boot to desktop option available in pro using GP?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Is the boot to desktop option available in pro using GP?
    Not sure, but there certainly is a registry hack that will do it.
    Step-By-Step: Booting directly to the Desktop in Windows 8.1

16. Thanks to niallm from:

Little-Miss (13th January 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast