+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, 8.1 and IE 11, same problems! in Technical; I can't believe that upgrading to 8.1 and IE11 I have the same problems as before! If you type an ...
    Thank Post

8.1 and IE 11, same problems!

I can't believe that upgrading to 8.1 and IE11 I have the same problems as before! If you type an address into the address bar and hit return, nothing happens! Same with the metro version as well! The proxy is set so it has access but it also does the same for local (intranet) sites. Once you've visited a site (i.e by clicking a link elsewhere to open it) it will work, but not from the address bar direct. Its also dog slow, and goes to 'Not responding' almost immediately!

Looks like Firefox would be a major part of any Win8 install here, although I'm sure that we'll never be rolling this out now!
    Last edited by Sheridan; 12th December 2013 at 09:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I've had a look at Windows 8.1 and it's certainly better than Windows 8, but still falls short of Windows 7 (in my opinion).

I came across Windows codename Threshold last night. If the rumours are true, maybe Microsoft yet again are repeating history with a good OS, a bad OS and then a good OS again!

Thank Post
    I've been trying to like Win8, but such basic problems as this really annoy me. Fresh install - joined to domain and IE11 is unusable - how well will that sort of thing go down in a room full of kids!

Thank Post
    Read about Threshold the other night, although not expected until at least 2015 if the rumours are true. Having a proper start menu and being able to run metro apps side by side would be useful.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm banging my head against the wall with it at the moment.

We're on Win7 and IE9 here but with our pending Sixth Form next year I'm playing with Win 8.1 and IE11 with a view to roll out the entire school for next September. I'm liking certain parts of it, (Start Screen Layout XML, etc), I'm seeing how it integrates with the CSE System we use but just trying to get GPP for IE11 to work is driving me nuts!! Domain controllers are 2008R2, and I've tried tweaking GPP on Win7 and Win8.1 machines but its just not playing ball at present. Soooo frustrating. Win8.1 touch interface could be really good for the things we have planned for our new Sixth Form but this is just killing it.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    I'm banging my head against the wall with it at the moment.

We're on Win7 and IE9 here but with our pending Sixth Form next year I'm playing with Win 8.1 and IE11 with a view to roll out the entire school for next September. I'm liking certain parts of it, (Start Screen Layout XML, etc), I'm seeing how it integrates with the CSE System we use but just trying to get GPP for IE11 to work is driving me nuts!! Domain controllers are 2008R2, and I've tried tweaking GPP on Win7 and Win8.1 machines but its just not playing ball at present. Soooo frustrating. Win8.1 touch interface could be really good for the things we have planned for our new Sixth Form but this is just killing it.

Pete
    All the networks I support are currently using Windows 7 + IE10. It's a working formula, but unfortunately IE11 does break a lot of websites. It's great having WSUS in place, as I can roll out IE11 at a later date. The problem with Windows 8.1 is you may be forced to introduce the likes of Chrome (also controllable via GPO), until a lot of websites catch up and make their websites IE11 compatible.

Seeing as you have 2008 R2 Servers in place, I would highly recommend either at least one 2012 R2 DC or 8.1 RSAT, which is probably the better option at the moment.

7. Thanks to Michael from:

FragglePete (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    All the networks I support are currently using Windows 7 + IE10. It's a working formula, but unfortunately IE11 does break a lot of websites. It's great having WSUS in place, as I can roll out IE11 at a later date. The problem with Windows 8.1 is you may be forced to introduce the likes of Chrome (also controllable via GPO), until a lot of websites catch up and make their websites IE11 compatible.

Seeing as you have 2008 R2 Servers in place, I would highly recommend either at least one 2012 R2 DC or 8.1 RSAT, which is probably the better option at the moment.
    I'm using 8.1 with RSAT installed - appreciate what your saying with IE11, I'm playing with it and hopefully a lot of things would have caught up by the time we roll it out.

Pete

Thank Post
    have you tried disabling protected mode I just found that crashed ie11 on such a regular basis I turned it off problems vanished

rad
    Thank Post
    The answer to all your prayers ..... Click here

Just trying to be helpful!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    The answer to all your prayers ..... Click here

Just trying to be helpful!
    Extremely unhelpful! In saying that, Safari on Mavericks is actually pretty fast compared to previous versions.

Personally if I had to use Windows 8.1, then I would deploy Chrome and control it via GPO. This is relatively easy to do.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Extremely unhelpful! In saying that, Safari on Mavericks is actually pretty fast compared to previous versions.

Personally if I had to use Windows 8.1, then I would deploy Chrome and control it via GPO. This is relatively easy to do.
    ^ +1 Very much this.

Thank Post
    Yeah I've been looking at Chrome and GPO's to control it, seems reasonably usable!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looks like I've been falling foul to this:
    IE 10 Group Policy Help needed - I think I've found a bug - Spiceworks

which leads onto this:
    Red / Green: GP Preferences doesn

I have to confess, not knowing about pressing F5 while setting GPP's - never really paid too much attention to the Green and Red lines within them. My settings now appear to be applying.

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread