+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8.1 start screen customisation in Technical; Hi all, So, we are using the new XML way of customising the start screen as highlighted in new Windows ...
    Thank Post

Windows 8.1 start screen customisation

Hi all,

So, we are using the new XML way of customising the start screen as highlighted in new Windows 8.1 enterprise features.

According to the documentation:

If the shortcuts are not valid, the tile will not be displayed
    First you build the layout using the Start Screen (Pinning Apps, like SIMS.net) and then export it (SIMS.net continues to be in the outputted XML file)

But, here is the issue:

SIMS.net Tile will not appear on the custom start screen, all the other tiles will - thus indicating that the "shortcut is not valid", but it is!

Any solutions?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried creating the original tile from scratch instead of the one you get during the install?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Double check the shortcut path. The SIMS folder is "sims .net" and not "sims.net"

Thank Post
    if the "real" shortcut is in c:\programdata\. . . do they have access to the shortcut?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Double check the shortcut path. The SIMS folder is "sims .net" and not "sims.net"
    Haha, done that! Windows 8, when creating the start screen - it "GUID's" all the shortcut paths. groan.

Thank Post
    Did you have any luck with this?
    I've got the same issue with some shortcuts

One example is Kodu:
    Code:
    <group name="Computer Science">
    <tile AppID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Research\Kodu Game Lab\BokuPreBoot.exe" size="square150x150" FencePost="0"/>
    <tile AppID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Research\Kodu Game Lab\Boku.exe" size="square150x150" FencePost="0"/>
    </group>
    For that one, the "Configure Kodu" shows up (BokuPreBoot.exe) but the main "Kodu" one doesn't (Boku.exe) even though they're both in the same folder with the same permissions and everything. Weird :/

Thank Post
    No luck at all (same school). We just got it something like with some Office shortcuts, the Desktop link and IE, and used Start Menu redirection for the rest. Bit rubbish really, as this was a major selling point of 8.1. Plus, our old system of customising it in 8 no longer seems to work for 8.1!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyyn View Post
    Did you have any luck with this?
    I've got the same issue with some shortcuts

One example is Kodu:
    Code:
    <group name="Computer Science">
    <tile AppID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Research\Kodu Game Lab\BokuPreBoot.exe" size="square150x150" FencePost="0"/>
    <tile AppID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Research\Kodu Game Lab\Boku.exe" size="square150x150" FencePost="0"/>
    </group>
    For that one, the "Configure Kodu" shows up (BokuPreBoot.exe) but the main "Kodu" one doesn't (Boku.exe) even though they're both in the same folder with the same permissions and everything. Weird :/
    This is an absolute nightmare, we didn't get anywhere with it at all.

startgenerator.png

I did however build a little tool, that will generate it all for you (But, no somethings still don't work)

Thank Post
    not got sims here to test but ive got all sorts on my pinned list and "all programs" not had an issue yet. its got all the crud windows 7 ever had including stuff that's been run from the server. Have you tried recreating the shortcut manually rather than using the auto created one?

Thank Post
    Yup, as it's plain xml it's fairly easy to duplicate and write it in but it just ignores most of the shortcuts. Odd things do pop up though, e.g. VLC works, SIMS doesn't, Office 2010 works, This-PC doesn't.

Thank Post
    have you redirected your start menu and if so are the shortcuts in that folder?

Thank Post
    Yup. Think that might stop them from showing? The Office shortcuts are in that folder too and they show on the Start screen, but you have a point.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Yup. Think that might stop them from showing? The Office shortcuts are in that folder too and they show on the Start screen, but you have a point.
    I know it does if they are not there they wont show even if configged on the start screen (desktop for instance)

Thank Post
    Could this be related to the location settings of the sims shortcut. On our systems at least it runs SIMSLOAD.exe first which is unnecessary if you have Solus 3 running. You need to make sure it points to Pulsar.exe instead which is tacked on the end of the location. Try editing the shortcut in the program data folder to just pulsar.exe and see if it deploys then. I'm unable to test this myself as I'm still waiting for my microsoft licenses to come through (they got my email address wrong again!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cromertech View Post
    Could this be related to the location settings of the sims shortcut. On our systems at least it runs SIMSLOAD.exe first which is unnecessary if you have Solus 3 running. You need to make sure it points to Pulsar.exe instead which is tacked on the end of the location. Try editing the shortcut in the program data folder to just pulsar.exe and see if it deploys then. I'm unable to test this myself as I'm still waiting for my microsoft licenses to come through (they got my email address wrong again!)
    We don't link it to SIMSLoad, as we use Solus - Points directly to Pulsar.exe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast