Poll: Are you using 8 / 8.1 on your work machines

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Are you using 8.1 on your work machines? in Technical; As I was starting to spend more and more time using server 2012 I thought it was time to get ...

Thank Post
    As I was starting to spend more and more time using server 2012 I thought it was time to get my head around 8.1

made the jump today on my laptop (desktop runs mavericks). I can see its going to be very important to get users to customise their own start menus.
    I've got about 10 apps pinned, for the rest I just hit windows and then start typing to search for them.

The only thing that is really annoying me at the moment, if desktop IE is open, it will open the desktop version, if it isn't my shortcut loads the metro version.

Thank Post
    I've been building new Server 2012 R2 VMs, but not 8.1, yet.

Thank Post
    gaz350b, if you look in internet options on desktop IE, under the programs tab there is a setting to choose which version of IE to use, You can set it to always use the desktop version or always use the metro version.

4. Thanks to MMPS from:

gaz350b (29th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MMPS View Post
    gaz350b, if you look in internet options on desktop IE, under the programs tab there is a setting to choose which version of IE to use, You can set it to always use the desktop version or always use the metro version.
    cheers i knew there would be a way i had been looking in the Advanced tab

Thank Post
    I upgraded to 8.1 for server manager and to get used to it. I have some 2012 servers and just upgraded a few of them to 2012 R2.
    I think I’ll wait until it is hardware refresh time to move anyone else to 8.1, I have not tested any 8.1 gpos yet, or figured out how to handle store apps.

Thank Post
    We were waiting for better active directory functionality and control over desktop. Now discover that in order to access desktop control function we need ENTERPRISE version together with 2012 R2, thereby forcing us into an EES agreement that we do not want to enter into. Will probably stay with Windows 7 Pro - hopefully as long as we did with XP. Its functionality we are after, not fancy desktop graphics designed in haste and possibly in vain to gain lost ground by Microsoft in the mobile market.

8. Thanks to rsydes from:

speckytecky (1st January 2014)

Thank Post
    whats the weather like in the 80's?

Thank Post
    Harsh! I was only trying to broaden out the debate. I have been using Win 8 on my home/work desktop since it's release. I would like to take advantage of the improved engineering on the school network, but am frustrated by Micosoft's licensing and update processes.

Thank Post
    It'll be at least another year or two before we deploy Windows 8 across the school. I've made enough enemies upgrading from Office 2003 to 2013 this year. And the fact that I provided each member of staff with their own school email address is an offence punishable by death... apparently!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And the fact that I provided each member of staff with their own school email address is an offence punishable by death... apparently!
    Wow, Our school staff have had email addresses since the 90's. I hope they don't take those years on anger out on us!

Thank Post
    We are using 8.1 in our school district. We have around 1000 of the going now. So far biggest issues been user training. We've started moving some older xp machines 2gb ram to 8.1 and are seeing performance benefits.

Thank Post
    We are currently running Server 2012 and downloaded the management admin console to my 8.1 pro laptop. I am able to edit the 8.1/ server 2012 r2 only policies on my laptop. This is working well for us so far.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think you fairly sum up the position of many of us. Windows 7 was brought out to replace the heap of rubbish that was the hastily released memory hungry Vista. Windows 7 for most of us in Education I suspect does a fine and manageable job. I'm certainly in no haste to lurch down the Windows 8 road. Tried it on my DH's All in One and was told to get rid!! Delighted to give you your very first TY BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by rsydes View Post
    We were waiting for better active directory functionality and control over desktop. Now discover that in order to access desktop control function we need ENTERPRISE version together with 2012 R2, thereby forcing us into an EES agreement that we do not want to enter into. Will probably stay with Windows 7 Pro - hopefully as long as we did with XP. Its functionality we are after, not fancy desktop graphics designed in haste and possibly in vain to gain lost ground by Microsoft in the mobile market.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rsydes View Post
    You dont need EEES to get Enterprise, you require SA, you can get this on other agreements. Plus your servers do not have to be 2012 R2.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,770 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Tried it on my DH's All in One and was told to get rid!
    With ClassicShell or StartIsBack installed, they probably wouldn't have been able to tell it wasn't Windows 7.

18. Thanks to Arthur from:

speckytecky (1st January 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast