Poll: Are you using 8 / 8.1 on your work machines

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Are you using 8.1 on your work machines? in Technical; Yeah running Windows 8.1 Enterprise starting to like it now lol...
    Thank Post
    Yeah running Windows 8.1 Enterprise starting to like it now lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Windows 8.1 is a good OS. I now prefer the start to the Windows 7 start.

3. Thanks to FN-GM from:

mrtechsystems (4th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Have been running it on my computer since beta, and my network drops out as well although not to the point of having to restart! I could see that being a bit of bind. Any how I am starting to deploy it to the rest of the network now. My take on this is that if the students can go in to PC World and get a computer using the latest OS then we should have it on our desktops in schools as I feel its a dis-service to not be as current as possible, although with my network head on I also have to think of my and the other guys in my departments sanity so have delayed this OS install until now!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HPlum78 View Post
    Have been running it on my computer since beta, and my network drops out as well although not to the point of having to restart! I could see that being a bit of bind. Any how I am starting to deploy it to the rest of the network now. My take on this is that if the students can go in to PC World and get a computer using the latest OS then we should have it on our desktops in schools as I feel its a dis-service to not be as current as possible, although with my network head on I also have to think of my and the other guys in my departments sanity so have delayed this OS install until now!
    If the network drops out, why are you deploying it?
    Last edited by gmonks; 5th November 2013 at 11:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Good question gmonks, only happens on the HP that me and my network admin have on our desk and we can live with it! I am sure we could work it out on our computers if we really wanted. Tested on our other computers and we have not had the same issue else you are correct it would not be deployed!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HPlum78 View Post
    Good question gmonks, only happens on the HP that me and my network admin have on our desk and we can live with it! I am sure we could work it out on our computers if we really wanted. Tested on our other computers and we have not had the same issue else you are correct it would not be deployed!
    That was going to be my next question! But at least the other machines don't have the problem.

Thank Post
    I installed 8.1 a few weeks ago due to a faulty hard drive, so far so good. My colleague also installed it at the same time but has now reverted back to Win 7, I think I will stick with it and just adapt even though it is a little frustrating at times.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Faster, simpler (after a short time), faster (yes I said it twice), way better for tablets/touch.

On new deploys now, looking to push sitewide at two sites next year.

Thank Post
    just installed it on a touchscreen in nursery as a test in a different school. Will upgrade my main test school to al least 6 dual boot (got to love vhd's) pcs (1 bank of the suite) as the kids now all but fight to use the 2 I currently have their on 8.1

Thank Post
    Deployed 8.1 Enterprise to the PCs in our office - was quite surprised at how quickly I adapted to the new interface considering I had spent the last year believing the negative hype surrounding how Metro didn't make any sense on a desktop without a touch interface. The rest of the team quite like it too.

Started to write some 8.1-specific GPOs and push out the occasional test PC to users but after a few false starts I have decided to halt that for the moment and concentrate on getting a few servers to 2012 R2 first - features introduced in 8 / 2012 such as SMB3 need it at both ends to see the improvement realised by moving.

12. Thanks to TheCrust from:

bouncy (11th December 2013)

Thank Post
    using 8.1 enterprise since release on my machine here, just cannot be mucking about with Beta software on the main machine, I like it too, though I didnt have many complaints using windows 8 enterprise before it (yeah I know metro was awful), but I spend 99% of my windows time on the desktop anyway.

It has improved stuff, i.e. metro customisability was always a lacking must I felt, now its a much better experience, have 8.1 pro on my home machine too and it works well alongside my Ubuntu installation, only gaming its used for there though now with stuff that is truly awkward or OTT to make compatible i.e. too much faffing about with wine or playonlinux.

Thank Post
    Not using 8.1 yet because Kaspersky have not released their 8.1 update yet Using it at home thought and its just fine.

Thank Post
    8.1 at home but still on 7 here. Can't deploy anything beyond 7 until I upgrade SCCM (which is a real problem given my current workload).

Thank Post
    I have dual-boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 (but not 8.1.... yet). I used Windows 7 for day to day work with RDP into Windows Server 2008.

Thank Post
    Been using 8.1 since the official release day on my office PC - have to say its better than I expected! I held off on the upgrade to 8 after all the negative reviews but 8.1 seems to have addressed a number of issues

And its QUICK!! Actually got used to the new start menu now, my normal 'desktop' has all of 8 icons on it so much tidier - its so much easier to hit the Windows key and click the icon for my programs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast