+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, How are you handling Windows 8 Live IDs in schools? in Technical; I really like Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 - we are also an Office 365 school. What I am struggling ...

Thank Post

How are you handling Windows 8 Live IDs in schools?

I really like Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 - we are also an Office 365 school. What I am struggling with is the need to create for students to create a Live ID in order to make use of the start screen.

We are a primary school and most of our students are under 14 - the law in the US states that children under 13 cannot create internet accounts without parent permission and, in fact, Microsoft requires a fairly complex process for "approving" children's accounts in the US (I set up an account for my child - it was easy enough to attach that account to my personal account as a parent, but it also required credit card verification). It would be fantastic if our students could use their Office 365 accounts, but Office 365 accounts will not work for this - is has to be a "regular" Microsoft account. Even if we could use an Office 365 account, we do not use Office 365 with students lower than Grade 3 (8 years old), because of the complex password requirements.

Additionally, an average student at our school uses several computers a week, depending on whether they are in the computer lab, a classroom, etc. Since we have domain logins, it would be helpful if their "Microsoft Account" could roam with them onto different computers, just like their documents do. It is also difficult for teachers (who do create their own personal Microsoft accounts) to figure out when to use their Microsoft account and when to use their Office 365 account.

Apple and Google both offer enterprise management of their IDs.

Am I missing something? How are others working around this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,703 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are using MS Intune you can link it to AD and use the users existing logons. I think the latest SCCM may have this to. Not sure if this still gives you store access though.

Thank Post
    You can centrally manage start screen through powershell. I think you can deploy store apps.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    You can centrally manage start screen through powershell. I think you can deploy store apps.
    Hi,

Can you deploy the store apps to all users i.e. a per computer install of the store app? If so could you share on how you go about this?

Many thanks,

Ash.

Thank Post
    hi, I would also be interested in knowing how others manage those issues.
    We're starting deploying Windows 8 Tablets (dell latitude 10) a lot of teachers would be interested in some windows store apps, but we don't want to create microsoft account for each of them, nor for the students.
    What is the best way to manage windows store apps (deploying, installing) centrally, without having to log in with a microsoft account (any ideas, links, article, or real life would be appreciated)

How is this working for apple and android products? is it easier?
    thanks!

Thank Post
    As far as I know..
    The only way to deploy applications to all users is during imaging using DISM commands.
    SCCM can deploy store apps to individual users but you need to re-certify the applications and deploy the certificates.

MS recommends students creating windows store accounts. With windows 8.1 they can have applications on up to 81 devices per user. Problem comes in with kids under 13 who need a credit card to register.
    We let teachers create their own Microsoft accounts on school owned devices. You can control which store applications are allowed through group policy.

7. Thanks to bcsdtech from:

ersatyle (4th November 2013)

Thank Post

9. Thanks to bcsdtech from:

ersatyle (4th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Bottom line.. this is not sustainable and MS needs to change their policy before all schools switch to Google

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread