+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, It's Windows 8.1 Day! in Technical; Just installed it from the store on my table, the update should be called Windows Infinity point one as it ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,703 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just installed it from the store on my table, the update should be called Windows Infinity point one as it took hours to download and longer to install on my poor atom tablet. On the plus side IE11 seems to handle vbulitins dodgy js much better in metro mode.

Enter even works now.

It also puts a WiFi strength meter on the logon screen, have only been messing with it for about 15 min so I'm sure there is more. I wouldn't mind some better feedback from the store app, a percentage of the download that was complete instead of a nondescript progress bar would be quite an upgrade.

I am hoping the management has improved a bunch, looking forward to the start screen being customisable with an xml and GPO, hopefully the store apps are a bit more management friendly too.

Thank Post
    Managed to download it fine this morning, still took a while
    RSAT out too
    Download Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 8.1 from Official Microsoft Download Centre

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Just installed it from the store on my table, the update should be called Windows Infinity point one as it took hours to download and longer to install on my poor atom tablet. On the plus side IE11 seems to handle vbulitins dodgy js much better in metro mode.

Enter even works now.

It also puts a WiFi strength meter on the logon screen, have only been messing with it for about 15 min so I'm sure there is more. I wouldn't mind some better feedback from the store app, a percentage of the download that was complete instead of a nondescript progress bar would be quite an upgrade.

I am hoping the management has improved a bunch, looking forward to the start screen being customisable with an xml and GPO, hopefully the store apps are a bit more management friendly too.
    ive found metro ie11 worse than 10 crashes often and google searches are rendered unusable only wants to use the first inch of the screen so you spend all day scrollong down

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bloody Intel still can't write a driver to save their worthless little lives, I get a two second wait as the filthy Intel driver crashes then recovers on resume from standby. The mail and calendar apps are better, battery life is worse.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    ive found metro ie11 worse than 10 crashes often and google searches are rendered unusable only wants to use the first inch of the screen so you spend all day scrollong down
    Google search seems to work alright for me, I usually use bing anyway but just tried it and seemed to work fine, haven't had 11 crash on me yet with many tabs open but it is still early.

Thank Post
    Google search seems to work alright for me, I usually use bing anyway but just tried it and seemed to work fine, haven't had 11 crash on me yet with many tabs open but it is still early.
    just checked my laptops fine that i dont use metro ie just the tablet where i do
    wyrdgoogle.jpg

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, the drop kicks can't even support their own hardware, worked on 8, not 8.1

kbd.JPG

I'd report it, if I knew where to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    just checked my laptops fine that i dont use metro ie just the tablet where i do
    wyrdgoogle.jpg
    Same problem on my Surface, except it was doing the same thing in Desktop IE as well as Metro. There is a quick fix though. Open desktop IE and go to Settings > Compatibility View settings, and untick Use Microsoft compatibility lists. Looks like Microsoft have added it to their compatibility view list for some reason, and once on there, you can't turn it off (even using the F12 dev tools) without opting out of their lists entirely.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Same problem on my Surface, except it was doing the same thing in Desktop IE as well as Metro. There is a quick fix though. Open desktop IE and go to Settings > Compatibility View settings, and untick Use Microsoft compatibility lists. Looks like Microsoft have added it to their compatibility view list for some reason, and once on there, you can't turn it off (even using the F12 dev tools) without opting out of their lists entirely.
    aye found it wonder if its a ploy to force you to bing lol. never tried desktop ie i use firefox

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just finished my laptop. Had big problems with it's dual Intel/Nvidia setup that involved me having to strip out all the drivers after the 8.1 upgrade and install them from scratch - in the right order (Intel then Nvidia before you ask).
    Also got hit by the blurry text bug - [Fix] Bold, Blurry or Hard to Read Font Problem in Windows 8.1 - AskVG
    Still, all done now. Until the next glitch!
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 19th October 2013 at 06:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A far cry from the ease of the office machine Chris?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Indeed, the office was plain sailing compared to this!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Windows RT 8.1 update temporarily pulled due to a “situation” « Ars Technica

The problem appears to be that the update is damaging certain boot data, causing affected machines to blue screen on startup. The issue is recoverable if you've created a recovery USB key (or have access to a machine that can create one), but Microsoft currently appears to have no easy way to create a suitable USB key from non-ARM machines.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Epic ie11 is massively unstable with Skydrive office web apps, do they have a QA team or just let the programmers push it out into the wild when they are board of messing with it. Hint, don't use the spellcheck on the word webapp without saving first.

Thank Post
    Epic ie11 is massively unstable with Skydrive office web apps, do they have a QA team or just let the programmers push it out into the wild when they are board of messing with it. Hint, don't use the spellcheck on the word webapp without saving first.
    i suspect were the qa team why test it when your paying customers can

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast