+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, No Start Screen customising via GPO if you are on an EES licence? [Solved] in Technical; Originally Posted by sted it wont appear as such till 18th august but the keys are there somewhere under licensing ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    it wont appear as such till 18th august but the keys are there somewhere under licensing tab
    Do you mean 18th October? but surely Windows 8 should be on there now? Had a good hunt but not luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Download 8.1 Enterprise through TechNet and use the 2012 R2 KMS key on VLSC to activate.
    Tried this too but although my activated Technet account still says "There is no subscription associated with your Microsoft account". Could really do with a final build rather than the preview I've been testing with too!

In Software Assurance I have; 24x7 Problem Resolution Support, E-Learning – Applications, E-Learning – Servers , E-Learning – Systems , Home Use Program , Office Multi Language Pack , Planning Services , Problem Resolution Support (SAB 2.0) , TechNet Plus Direct , TechNet SA Subscription Services , Training Vouchers , Windows 7 Enterprise , Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs Media/Download , Windows Vista Enterprise Media/Download , Windows Vista Ultimate Media/Download

Should there be a Windows 8 benefit listed?
    Last edited by Tricky; 9th October 2013 at 11:54 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Do you mean 18th October? but surely Windows 8 should be on there now? Had a good hunt but not luck.
    yup please insert brain

Thank Post
    NB. I put Solved in the thread title to avoid confusion for people searching the forum. Clearly I was wrong about EES access to the Enterprise edition. That said, I've not managed to get it via SA or Technet still. I've raised it with the company that provides our MS licensing and will see what they can do.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have started on a 8.1 Enterprise image now.

I downloaded 8 Enterprise out of my Licencing Service Center. I then upgraded that to 8.1 Enterprise Preview from Technet.

I can now build all my stuff i need to get a workable Image ready for WDS.

When 8.1 Enterprise (Release) comes out all i will have to do is install Windows 8 Enterprise / Upgrade KMS and will have all the manifests ready. I plan to roll out 8.1 site wide next term.

Currently, we are sitting on Windows 7 SP1 waiting for Windows 8 SP1 (8.1) since I like to wait for the first Service Pack or "CU" before rolling out a MS product in a alive environment.

Thank Post
    Managed to figure this out in the end - was getting tunnel vision and missing the Software Assurance filter on the downloads, kept going straight for Windows.

@RobBaxter That sounds very exciting, may I ask your motivations for going to Windows 8? Also if you have any resources collected to help with customising W8 for your environment I'd very interesting to see them. Some of the Metro features require the user to have a Microsoft account, do you have a way around that or just not using those features?
    Last edited by Tricky; 10th October 2013 at 11:22 AM.

Thank Post
    customize your start screen

Customize Windows 8.1 Start Screens by Using Group Policy

basically set up a reference pc. set up your start screena s you want it(icons pinned etc though i did find if you are using redirected start menus you need to copy the "desktop" shortcut thre as well) run a command

Code:
    export-startlayout –path \\server\share\start1.xml -as xml
    use a windows 8.1/2012r2 pc with gpmc installed . edit a USER policy user config\admin templates\start menu and taskbar\start screen layout. then paste your \\server\share\start1.xml into that

as to apps an ms accounts for the moment ive disabled the store. In theory you can sideload apps but ive not found any i want enough to look in to it

7. Thanks to sted from:

Tricky (10th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks sted, yeah I'm not expecting the Store to be a great loss. I was aware of how to customise the Start screen as that's how this whole thread came about. My query to Rob was thinking he might have discovered other tips and tricks I'd not heard of.
    Last edited by Tricky; 10th October 2013 at 11:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For now if it requires a microsoft account its off.

As for resources. I tend to keep a "golden image" and back it up before i start messing with it again and again. Getting everything just right by a "Trial and Error Method".

Once i'm finished i will document it for you ( i need to document it for school anyway ) i will just publish a copy too.

Thanks

R

10. Thanks to RobBaxter from:

Tricky (10th October 2013)

Thank Post
    I've been testing this for a few days. It seems to only work for 8.1 Enterprise and has no effect on Pro.

I can't seem to get it to show all of the tiles I've pinned if 'Remove common program groups from Start Menu' is enabled.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDear View Post
    I've been testing this for a few days. It seems to only work for 8.1 Enterprise and has no effect on Pro.
    Yeah the "Start screen control" is only in the Enterprise version:
    Compare editions

Edit: Whoops and I only just noticed that this is from like two weeks ago

Thank Post
    Hi Oh Dear.

Have you managed to find a solution to this. I'm also finding that when the group policy setting "Remove common program groups from Start Menu" is policy enabled, not all the customizations I make in the XML file are applied and there are missing tiles on the start screen.

Has anyone successfully customised the "All Apps" screen as well as the start menu tiles?

I've tried start menu folder redirection as well, but seem to be having no luck with customizing both the tiles and "apps" screen at the same time.

Thanks,

Stephen Fletcher

Thank Post
    yes ive disable common stuff redirected to the same start menu as win7 and pinned the junk i want and its worked fine first time

Thank Post
    Same here, we have the Start Screen XML now working, with All Apps pointed at the same redirected folder as Windows 7 - gives a nice mix of the two environments and seems to be working well.

Thank Post
    I'm only just starting to look into this again. Just been playing again though and I still cant get all the pinned apps to show if I redirect to a local folder and remove common programs...

Any chance someone with it working can let me see their XML?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDear View Post
    I'm only just starting to look into this again. Just been playing again though and I still cant get all the pinned apps to show if I redirect to a local folder and remove common programs...

Any chance someone with it working can let me see their XML?

Thanks!
    Hi,

Working perfectly here. There was a group policy that stopped it working at one point, "Prevent users from making changes to the start menu." Or similar.

Will copy and paste our XML tomorrow. It worked from Netlogon or from a local folder on the C drive root.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast