Poll: Are you planning to deploy Windows 8.1?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Will you deploy Windows 8.1 ? in Technical; What are peoples thoughts on Windows 8.1? I like the sound of some of the new enterprise features such as ...

Thank Post

Will you deploy Windows 8.1 ?

What are peoples thoughts on Windows 8.1?

I like the sound of some of the new enterprise features such as Workplace Join and Windows to GO (which might be good for mac users instead of installing Windows)

Is anyone testing/planning to deploy it?

Thank Post
    When youve spent 18 months to 2 years going to 7 win 8.1 seems like a waste of time. The amount of support calls about the start menu will kill the helpdesk. It takes 2-3 years after an os release for all the software conpanies to catch up anyway. So no. Unless start menu appears.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I would have thought that by the time we reach 2020 (W7 ext support runs out) most of the educational companies will have their products in the cloud and we'll be able to loose that particular vendor tie in.

Thank Post
    A firm yes here - going to Windows 7 (from XP) this summer however have been laying all the foundations to go to 8.1 instead.

With almost a year out in the wild I would be surprised if there were any more bugs inside it (not that I find that many these days anyway).

Will do it even if my only reason is for the faster boot ups

Thank Post
    @CyberNerd I dont see the cloud overtaking everything. E.g autocad You cant run that in the browser.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    When youve spent 18 months to 2 years going to 7 win 8.1 seems like a waste of time. The amount of support calls about the start menu will kill the helpdesk. It takes 2-3 years after an os release for all the software conpanies to catch up anyway. So no. Unless start menu appears.
    the start menu isnt coming back deal with it. tifkam is fine i now prefer it to the start menu most of the time and now its manageable ive got pcs earmarked to deploy it to already. quicker boot times than 7 to start with

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,971 Posts
    It takes 2-3 years after an os release for all the software companies to catch up anyway.
    Windows 8.1 is a minor update to 8.0 (which was a year old last week). The large majority of software that works on Windows 7 will also work with Windows 8.0/8.1.

Some companies may not officially "support" Windows 8.0/8.1, but that doesn't mean to say the software won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    we'll be able to lose that particular vendor tie in.
    Instead, we'll be locked into one (or more) cloud service providers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,971 Posts
    e.g autocad You can't run that in the browser.
    It should be possible as a Chrome packaged app (at least in theory). There's already an extension that runs a web server within a browser tab.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    @CyberNerd I dont see the cloud overtaking everything. E.g autocad You cant run that in the browser.
    Technically it can already. You would need to wrap it in a XenApp cloud but it is possible over HTML5. Console games;no problem. The technology is already available it's just how it will be implemented over the coming years.
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 9th August 2013 at 08:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    the start menu isnt coming back deal with it. tifkam is fine i now prefer it to the start menu most of the time and now its manageable ive got pcs earmarked to deploy it to already. quicker boot times than 7 to start with
    I personally like the new 8.1 start screen, with your desktop background behind it. It no longer looks like a separate window, more like tiles overlayed on your desktop.

Thank Post
    Now that the actual Start 'button' is there; it's a possibility. But will probably sit it out for a short while; just to see if it takes off elsewhere. Running it currently on my laptop; and have to say it is pretty stable as it stands even if it only appears to act as a Service Pack (which let's face it, is what it should've been!).

Will probably install it on Staff Laptops should it be specifically requested (have a few staff that are into their tech/gadgets themselves) once it hits RTM, we'll also upgrade the existing Acer Iconia Tabs we have too.

Running 8.0 myself and I have to say there is a noticeable improvement performance wise on my poor old work PC (Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM), and I've become quite accustumed to the OS as a whole. 8.1 should only improve things, right?
    Last edited by KyleWhite; 9th August 2013 at 02:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Yes, we will be deploying it after we finish evaluating it (and after it's properly released )

Thank Post
    We're currently on Windows 7 and I don't see us moving to Windows 8.x anytime in the near future. There's no real advantage for the most part over 7 on a desktop computer and our school is moving towards IOS for tablet devices so I don't see much of a future for Windows as a client OS at this point in time.

In hindsight I'm still not convinced it was actually worth the effort to upgrade from WindowsXP to 7 I'm running Windows 8 at home and have no real complaints but I think it's tricky to make a business case for for organisations who are already on Windows 7 to migrate to it.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 9th August 2013 at 03:44 PM.

Thank Post
    On desktops at the moment probably not - just in the process of shifting 2500 PCs to Win7 this year but for tablets (and maybe laptops) I'm starting to give it more serious consideration. Just updated our trial Surface RT to 8.1 and using the same wallpaper in both interfaces definitely helps reduce the jarring feeling when moving between UI modes.

Still find it amusing how MS have now implemented most of the features many of us complained about initially that were just dumb design decisions (desktop wallpaper, unified search, boot to desktop etc) but MS were adamant were the right thing to do

Thank Post
    Probably a job for next summer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast