+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 - renders new PC unusable! in Technical; Welcome to the world of Win 8. We switched to SDDs and fast boot to make the damn thing run ...

Thank Post
    Welcome to the world of Win 8. We switched to SDDs and fast boot to make the damn thing run in anything approximating decent speeds. it does get faster after about 10 or 12 days, until the various updates get applied, and then it drops back again. also had some issues with it using a huge amount of data over internet on first use. a friend of min bought a new pc for parents, and it chewed through their paltry 5gb per month limit in a little over four hours. this was the system supposedly doing nothing.

Thank Post
    Well, after months of testing/experimenting/reinstalling I've come to the conclusion Windows 8.1 on my home pc is a backwards step from 7.

With the 100% disk activity now being a very widespread complaint, that is unresolved by MS and the fact the same PC runs perfectly on Windows 7 (and Ubuntu, and Mint) I can only assume its the buggy mess that 8.1 is!

Sad to say though, that after all these months of trying various fixes and trying the many various solutions offered on forums I'm no further forward! If I want to use my PC with 8.1 on it, I have to boot it up and leave it for 10-15 minutes until the 100% disk activity settles down to normal. What an utter POS.

I don't like admitting defeat, but Windows 7 and dual boot with Mint is my next step.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    With the 100% disk activity now being a very widespread complaint
    Do you have Intel's PROSet Monitoring Service installed? That is known to cause high CPU usage in Windows 8.1.

As is usually the case, Microsoft gets the blame for poor third-party drivers.

4. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (7th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Hi Sheridan.

high disk use from the system process on bootup would usually be caused by the page file. Try manually configuring your virtual memory settings rather than allowing it to automatically manage the page file. I've not come across this problem on Win 8 yet, but it was a common fault on Win 7.
    Failing that, have you tried a full clean boot just to rule out 3rd party drivers and startup processes. How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Thank Post
    To be honest - I've never had to persist in trying to get an OS to be stable and usable. This is an OEM installed version of 8.1 on brand new hardware. Its been an exercise in futility trying to get around the problem!

With Windows update now hanging (same old bug) and the IE address bar not responding (same old bug) I'm just going to put 8.1 with Vista and wait for MS to produce a working OS like XP or 7. Until then its back to dual boot linux and 7 for me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    doesn't occur with Windows 7 on the same hardware.
    This sounds very much like a driver issue (as @teejay and @synaesthesia mentioned above).

Have you tried installing the latest drivers for your hardware? i.e. not the ones from PC manufacturers website since they are always out-of-date, but from the individual component manufacturers websites (like Intel for the chipset, Realtek for the NIC, etc.)?

Programs like Ma-Config will tell you which drivers are out-of-date.

With Windows update now hanging (same old bug) and the IE address bar not responding (same old bug) I'm just going to put 8.1 with Vista and wait for MS to produce a working OS like XP or 7.
    I have never seen that happen on any of the Windows 8/8.1 PCs I've used.

Thank Post
    Thats the problem - I've spent months trying various drivers (newer, older, and non-official!) and also disabling so many services etc that nothing is running! I've had various AV on and off, god know how many registry 'fixes' I've found on my internet searches. Do a search of this and its very common, with so many people reporting things that have worked for them, and many still looking!

Windows update has failed with the same hanging issue on several of the 8/8.1 installes I've tried on various hardware. Same goes for the IE bug, where you type an address in the bar, hit return and nothing happens!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I gained the similar opinion, most probably based on the OS when test driving a brand new Toshiba Encore to compare and contrast with an iPad - the whole experience reminded me of the Volkswagen Advertisement on TV! I'm now wondering what use to put the Toshiba to?

Thank Post
    I'm by no means a mac fanboy (see my other threads!) but my experiences with a mac running 10.9.2 are by far a happier experience - this is in a home environment so no complications with domain issues etc, just a plain standalone PC doing the basic tasks I require!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12