+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 Start Menu and Desktop redirection in Technical; At my school we have redirect the Start Menu and Desktops for workstations a shared area on the server. This ...

Thank Post

Windows 8 Start Menu and Desktop redirection

At my school we have redirect the Start Menu and Desktops for workstations a shared area on the server.

This way we can maintain a consistent experience for the users. Different groups have different icons available as appropriate.

This works fine for XP and Windows 7 workstations.

However, there does not appear to be a way of doing this in Windows 8 with the Start Screen. I was hoping Windows 8.1 would resolve this issue. I have just installed the preview version, and have been disappointed to find it doesn't seem to support this either.

I did find this article, but I want to be able to update things on the fly, not just for when a user first logs on.

Has anyone else found a way round this? Are there any 3rd party Start Menu replacements that support this?

Thank Post
    8.1 does you set up start screen run a powershell command to export the settings and there is a new gpo to set a standard screen

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you redirect the All apps section?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Can you redirect the All apps section?
    iirc thats just you normal start menu so if you have a redirected start menu with say boo.exe on it it will appear in all apps yes gice me a min i will check

Thank Post
    right it shows what they have access to so if you hide common programs they cant see them and can only see whats in their start menu but it is a bit odd and atm my folder redirection seems to of died lol

Thank Post
    81startallapps.jpg

granted not the most exhaustive test but thats what it loos like. Any tifkam app seems to be all ways be there if installed.

Though as a 2nd test user some stuff came back like system tools but i havnt hidden them or changed permissions etc so when it creates a new start menu it would copy them. If you just redirect all users to a predefined one this shouldnt happen but for testing ive just redirected start to their user areas

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, i did a quick test but it didn't work, need to investigate a little more. Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    8.1 does you set up start screen run a powershell command to export the settings and there is a new gpo to set a standard screen
    Thanks for the info.

This does set up a standard screen. However, I want to be able to update everyone's screen centrally. At the moment, if I drop a shortcut into the correct 'global' folder, all appropriate users can instantly see it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    81startallapps.jpg

granted not the most exhaustive test but thats what it loos like. Any tifkam app seems to be all ways be there if installed.

Though as a 2nd test user some stuff came back like system tools but i havnt hidden them or changed permissions etc so when it creates a new start menu it would copy them. If you just redirect all users to a predefined one this shouldnt happen but for testing ive just redirected start to their user areas
    Hmmm. This is more promising! Thanks for your help. I will have a quick play as well....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by captainslow View Post
    Thanks for the info.

This does set up a standard screen. However, I want to be able to update everyone's screen centrally. At the moment, if I drop a shortcut into the correct 'global' folder, all appropriate users can instantly see it.
    i think you will just have to wait until they log off and back on for it to update i doubt it will work on the fly but ive not tested it though all apps works on the fly

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread