+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Switching to Windows 8 in Technical; I currently use Windows 8 but Im considering to switch to Windows 8, however Im wondering how much of an ...
    Thank Post

Switching to Windows 8

I currently use Windows 8 but Im considering to switch to Windows 8, however Im wondering how much of an improvement it will actually be since Im using a regular flat screen and not a touch screen. Is it worth it?

Thank Post
    Do you mean windows 7 to 8, or 8 to 8.1?
    Personally I think windows 8 is good on the desktop, I'm in the start menu very little. Professionally it's not there yet, to many management issues that 8.1 is supposed to correct. Have a search on here, you will find a lot of opinions on the matter. Windows 8 has been a love it or hate it topic.

Thank Post
    I predict this thread gets to 5 pages long and death threats are involved

Anyway Windows 8 on a desktop is just fine. The scroll on the mouse makes navigating the start screen an ease and your find your little finger starts to rest on the windows key after a week of use. After a while you will start to wonder how you lived without the search feature and the rest is pretty much the same as it ever way. Just have a play and don't let the people stuck in the 90's put you off.

Thank Post
    if you havnt started deploying win8 yet though id wait till 8.1 if you can its much more manageable on a locked down network

Thank Post
    Personally I would wait for 8.1 which addresses the navigation problems which the majority of windows users are missing. Will probably suit your users more if they have the traditional start menu that has always been present in previous releases. If not then claims shell is available for windows 8 which works well.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I say go for it to get the performance improvements, but go in knowing that Metro and it's apps are pretty rubbish and pay no heed to it. And press CTRL+ALT+DEL straight away to see that sweet new Task Manager.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    After a while you will start to wonder how you lived without the search feature and the rest is pretty much the same as it ever way. Just have a play and don't let the people stuck in the 90's put you off.
    The search function was introduced in Vista and it didn't co-opt your entire screen to present its results either.

On the whole, I don't think that W8 is a bad operating system but the start screen is a disaster.

Thank Post
    I run it on all my stuff (as in my personal computer/work computer/laptops etc..)

Just throw start 8 on it and it's perfect. I can't go back to Windows 7 now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,061 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Using Windows 8 on the desk here. Ergonomics aside, it's great IMO. Stable, fast and reliable. I do use an alternative start menu though, but don't actually have to use it that often.
    Oh, and as others have said, the search function is very good.
    I couldn't comment about it on a managed network though.

Thank Post
    on a managed network, kill it with fire. There's no control over the way the start screen is laid out.

8.1 fixes that tho so we'll see!

Thank Post
    Thanks for the information. I just saw now that in my initial questions I wrote that Im currently using Windows 8 ... that should have been Windows 8, ..and I want to switch to Windows 8,..sorry about that.
    I think I will wait for Windows 8.1. It sounds like once you get use to Windows 8, its actually not bad. I was just worried about if all the touch screen stuff in Windows 8 would be a problem on a regular desktop flat screen.

Thank Post
    If it helps, I'm using Windows 8 at home and work with no touchscreens with no problem

I don't actually use any apps or anything but I find the metro/start screen so amazingly fast at searching, I barely even see it - I genuinely can't remember the last time I actually called the start screen up to look for a tile.

It's always just Windows key -> wo -> Enter and I'm in Word instantly, Windows key -> st -> Enter and I'm in the Star Trek Online launcher

I like how you can customise the task bars too - in work I have the bar across both screens, each only showing the programs that are running on that screen and at home I have it only showing on my secondary monitor, so it doesn't interfere with games
    Last edited by Valyyn; 9th July 2013 at 02:20 PM.

13. Thanks to Valyyn from:

sparkeh (10th July 2013)

Thank Post
    as above really it works fine with no touchscreen granted it works really well with a touchscreen but you are not really hamstrung by the start screen and tbh i now prefer it to the start menu

Thank Post
    Just have a play and don't let the people stuck in the 90's put you off.
    Yawn. So if you have used Windows 8 thoroughly and find it has many issues on your network, you're stuck in the past?

I've used 8 a lot here, it has too many issues for us to put onto the network as yet. Home use is fine though - but it only really works when combined with a touchscreen and even then the metro gui feels like an afterthought. Just about every app I use opens up on the windows 7 desktop anyway!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,858 Times in 1,251 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyyn View Post
    I like how you can customise the task bars too - in work I have the bar across both screens, each only showing the programs that are running on that screen and at home I have it only showing on my secondary monitor, so it doesn't interfere with games
    Thanks, didn't know you could do that

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast