+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, seperating win7/8 profiles in Technical; at least for the time being ive decided this probably isnt a bad idea so on my test vm ive ...

Thank Post

seperating win7/8 profiles

at least for the time being ive decided this probably isnt a bad idea so on my test vm ive set the gpo to move all users profiles to \\server\share\win8\%username% regardless of any individual setting (computer config\policies\admin templates\system\user profiles\users logging into this profile should use this profile path). This worked for my admin test user but my test user creates the folder (even tried givving them full control of that folder) but then fails just says the user pprofile failed to load or some such. event log shows (it also shows it cant copy a few files because of permissions but that shouldnt be an issue its just the quick actions menu nothing that important)

Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, and that your network is functioning correctly.

DETAIL - Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed.

Any ideas

Thank Post
    i stand corrected failing to copy those files stops the profile being created hmm

Thank Post
    Heya There,
    How we have ours set up is to on the "\\server\share\windows 8" Folder give them inherent permissions from there to do "Read & Execute" + "List Folder Contents" + "Read" + "Write". This should let profiles be created. and have it apply to "This Folder, Subfolders and files"

That is the best way i found to set these up. the annoying thing is it doesnt let a local user login.

Cannot wait for the full windows 8 roll out, 13-15 days! =D

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jugglerjoe View Post
    Heya There,
    How we have ours set up is to on the "\\server\share\windows 8" Folder give them inherent permissions from there to do "Read & Execute" + "List Folder Contents" + "Read" + "Write". This should let profiles be created. and have it apply to "This Folder, Subfolders and files"

That is the best way i found to set these up. the annoying thing is it doesnt let a local user login.

Cannot wait for the full windows 8 roll out, 13-15 days! =D
    as above the issue was self inflicted changing permissions on the quick actions menu killed it

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,817 Times in 2,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    at least for the time being I've decided this probably isn't a bad idea
    Microsoft recommend you keep the profiles separate so I would say it's quite a good idea.

Unpredictable behavior if you migrate a roaming user profile from Windows 8 to Windows 7 « KB2748329

Windows 7 and Windows 8 use similar user profile formats, which do not support interoperability when they roam between computers that are running different versions of Windows. When a user who has a Windows 7 profile signs in to a Windows 8-based computer for the first time, the user profile is updated to the new Windows 8 format. After this occurs, the user profile is no longer compatible with Windows 7-based computers. See the "More information" section for detailed information about how this issue affects roaming and mandatory profiles.
    Incompatibility
    Profile incompatibility occurs because Windows 8 introduces version information into each successfully loaded user profile. Windows 8 upgrades user profiles that were originally created in Windows 7. Windows 8 also provides a notification to other components and services that enables them to update their Windows 7 settings to Windows 8. This notification enables components and services to own the setting-migration experience. Therefore, Windows 8 is unaware of the incompatibilities that may exist when Windows 8 user profiles roam to a Windows 7 computer.

Roaming profiles
    When a user who has a Windows 7 roaming profile signs in to a Windows 8-based computer for the first time, the user's roaming profile is updated to the new Windows 8 format. The Windows 8 user profile format is incompatible with Windows 7-based computers.

If a user must switch between Windows 7-based and Windows 8-based computers, then you must configure the Set roaming profile path for all users logging onto this computer Group Policy setting for the computers. Now, the user has separate Windows 7 and Windows 8 user profiles that can be applied, depending on the computer that the user signs in to. Additionally, you can use Folder Redirection to provide access to the user's data when either user profile is applied.

Mandatory profiles
    Mandatory profiles require special consideration. You must create both a Windows 7 roaming profile and a Windows 8 roaming profile. Windows 7 users must be configured to use the Windows 7 roaming profile path, and Windows 8 users must be configured to use the Windows 8 roaming profile path.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread