+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8.1 in Technical; its a huge improvement on win8 esp from a management point of view standardised start screen easy shutdown. as to ...

Thank Post
    its a huge improvement on win8 esp from a management point of view standardised start screen easy shutdown. as to start screen deal with it ms arnt changing their minds and its fine on a mouse keyboard and great on a touchscreen. tbh i dont miss the start menu most people use a few apps and the transition from tifkam to desktop is much less jaring

Thank Post
    Yep, I had a new SSD I wanted to put in my workstation so I used that as an opportunity to migrate to 8.1 Preview. Since I keep all my files on a network share I only had to reinstall the new versions of Windows ADK and RSAT for 8.1 Preview. So far I am really impressed. I have been running Windows 8 since last summer though at work and home (and on my Surface) so I am quite fond of what Microsoft has been doing lately. We are in the process of rolling out Windows 8 and Office 2013 in our organization and I will be pushing to get 8.1 approved as soon as it is available.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    just installed it there. entered my liveID, went to the store, my apps, and it downloaded all 25 of my apps.

Dropped to the desktop, and boom, theres my wallpaper from my other laptop already set.

Only issue is my liveID is the same as my domain email address, except the email is local exchange. Cant seem to get it to accept this email address as its already got that assigned to a non-existent cloud email

Thank Post
    I did have a try at this on my Lenovo Yoga. It had massive problems with the graphics driver. I have a Intel HD 4000 Graphics Chipset in mine. When I first installed it, it had the Standard Graphics Adaptor Driver. When I done the updates it installed the Graphics Driver for it, how ever when I rebooted I could tell the Resolution changed. But when I went to change the resolution it said 1600 x 900 resolution was selected already. But below said that my resolution was below 1280 x something. Weird right? Tried installing the driver from Intel and the driver from Lenovo, no change. Guess Windows 8.1 don't like this graphics card yet, which is weird considering it works fine in 8.

Thank Post
    First Batch Of Windows 8.1 Preview Updates Released

Read more: First Batch Of Windows 8.1 Preview Updates Released | Windows 8.1

Thank Post
    I've been playing with it on a VM machine for a little while now and it's better than the original Windows 8. I think the ability to be able to boot straight into the desktop is going to be a major plus side to it when it comes to deploying it in education.

For anyone who wants to know by the way, if you are in the desktop, right click on the taskbar and go to properties. under the navigation tab there is a tick box to have it boot straight into the desktop and not the start screen!

I havent used it enough yet to say whether its stable but its only in pre-release at the moment so i don't think its fair to moan if its a little shakey!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mtillbrook View Post
    I've been playing with it on a VM machine for a little while now and it's better than the original Windows 8. I think the ability to be able to boot straight into the desktop is going to be a major plus side to it when it comes to deploying it in education.

For anyone who wants to know by the way, if you are in the desktop, right click on the taskbar and go to properties. under the navigation tab there is a tick box to have it boot straight into the desktop and not the start screen!

I havent used it enough yet to say whether its stable but its only in pre-release at the moment so i don't think its fair to moan if its a little shakey!
    found a gpo for it yet?

Thank Post
    hmm, not yet but not looking to be fair!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,918 Times in 2,149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    found a gpo for it yet?
    See link below...

www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-8/114231-what-s-new-enterprise-windows-8-1-a.html#post997021

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12