+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Windows 8 Thread, I'm done with W8 in Technical; It is usually the second or third service pack that brings the real stability/performance/reliability. First service pack allows early adopters ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It is usually the second or third service pack that brings the real stability/performance/reliability. First service pack allows early adopters to build test labs that aren't too horrifically broken.

Anyway Service Packs are a thing of the past now. Monthly/Quarterly Update Roll-ups (or Cumulative Updates for Exch/Lync/SQL etc) are the new thing.

Historically the development of the Second/Third service packs usually coincides with the research by the Windows Internals book team. To me it looks a lot like that in developing the public facing documentation, the actual internals are brought into line with expectation.

Thank Post
    Ah I've obviously been doing this wrong. All the issues I have with W8 are due to my inability to do my job properly. The bugs with IE10, the Windows update that doesn't work, the mess of group policies, the inability to specify proxies properly, the driver issues, the inability to manage Metro Apps across a domain, the fact you can't disable UAC with disabling some Apps - amongst many others; these are all my fault.

At least thats cleared that up. Just as well there are some W8 experts here to keep me right.

</sarcasm>

Its been one of those days.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Ah I've obviously been doing this wrong. All the issues I have with W8 are due to my inability to do my job properly. The bugs with IE10, the Windows update that doesn't work, the mess of group policies, the inability to specify proxies properly, the driver issues, the inability to manage Metro Apps across a domain, the fact you can't disable UAC with disabling some Apps - amongst many others; these are all my fault.

At least thats cleared that up. Just as well there are some W8 experts here to keep me right.

</sarcasm>

Its been one of those days.
    Don't let some of these know all techies get your spirits down. IT is rife with these types. Thankfully though they've bailed me out a few times on here so lets just try and exist happily together!

Thank Post
    I would say the one thing we can all agree on is Windows 8 polarises opinion!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    I would say the one thing we can all agree on is Windows 8 polarises opinion!
    Sorry, I don't agree!

Thank Post
    I installed it on my laptop last night so i could have a play and load a few games on. I was watching the midnight garden with my daughter at the same time so Metro fitted in quite well with the baby stuff.

Funny thing, I was tired last night and just wanted to shut the thing down... where is the shutdown button? I ended up closing the lid so its probably gone to sleep.
    Last edited by Simcfc73; 21st June 2013 at 01:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    where is the shutdown button?
    Alt+F4 on desktop. Alternatively Win+C or swipe in from right to bring up Charms. Then Settings>Power. Or Win, start typing Shut and switch to settings. (May not be necessary to switch in 8.1).

Or don't shut down - power management is supposed to be much better. That said, it's so quick to start that it seems a waste of power not to shut down when finished - it's not like you have to wait an age to get to a useable state again from a cold boot.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I actually gave up searching for how to power it off on my home PC and let ACPI deal with it. Now it's (bad) habit.

Win 8 doesn't actually shut down though unless you disable FastBoot in power settings. It goes into a hibernation that caches stuff on disk for a quick start next time you power it on. It can be disabled but Win 8 will take an age to start up. Restart also doesn't work with FastBoot (try it, a Win 8 machine will boot considerably slower on Restart then Shut Down).

For most home users this isn't an issue. It's only a potential issue if you run a second OS alongside Win 8 and want to access the partition with cached startup data on it.

Thank Post
    I am first to admit I often lack confidence in my ability to network manage but seeing some comments here about how a start menu redesign is like an IT holocaust to some, I feel I can achieve anything again.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    I am first to admit I often lack confidence in my ability to network manage but seeing some comments here about how a start menu redesign is like an IT holocaust to some, I feel I can achieve anything again.
    I think the point is that we are not resistant to change, just that we have worked out that windows 8 (like vista and ME before it) is a duff release.

History will not treat it kindly, but fair play to anyone who has spent the effort in upgrading their organization and is reaping all those benefits from the metro interface

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson335 View Post
    Agreed - at the very least.
    Quote Originally Posted by superatticman View Post
    My personal preference (as someone above is suggesting) is to wait for the first service pack to be released before implementing.
    You will be waiting a long time!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567