+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, I'm done with W8 in Technical; Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M If you look on the right side of the search screen and select "settings", it'll bring ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    If you look on the right side of the search screen and select "settings", it'll bring back the Windows Firewall (and anything else you might wish to search for in Control Panel)!
    And yet if I type 'firewall' into W7 up it pops! Somewhat counter-intuitive in my eyes.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Vista and W7 were incremental updates of Xp/2000 - same principles (start menu etc), different look. W8 is W7 with bad things done to it.

I'm not against change - but either MS should have had the confidence to provide whole new UI (metro or whatever) or enchance the existing one (like osx) rather than bodge the two together.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    And yet if I type 'firewall' into W7 up it pops! Somewhat counter-intuitive in my eyes.
    and if you type it into the start screen it pops up just fine. Pin it there if you fancy and then choose a calming colour for the icon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    and if you type it into the start screen it pops up just fine. Pin it there if you fancy and then choose a calming colour for the icon.
    I have to say it is irritating that the search function separates things in to categories - yeah, it's only one more click to see if what I'm searching for is in the "settings" tab, but incrementally everything takes far longer than it should in W8. There's also the problem that some things inevitably have the same name - typing 'update' for instance can bring all manor of carp up and unless you recognise the icon for the software you want to update, you're stuffed. Simply adding the software/app name to results would solve that problem.

I understand this is one of the things MS have "fixed" in 8.1; all search results are shown in one place.

Thank Post
    Oddly, despite having used it since launch at home, rather than getting used to the changes I'm actually starting to find Windows 8 increasing frustrating to use the more time I spend working with it!

I can see where Microsoft is going with trying to combine the metro touch UI and the Windows7 desktop interface but as it stands just now the whole thing feels like a half finished mess that isn't particularly suited to either tablets or laptops/desktops.

There's simply no logic to the way the UI and OS is structured anymore.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 18th June 2013 at 05:04 PM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Windows 8 = "Half finished mess"

haha love it

Thank Post
    I can see where they were going with Metro - on a tablet it works pretty well. But not on a desktop. The world is full of desktops and they will be around for some time yet. Even with a touchscreen desktop the metro UI will give you RSI stretching across to use it!

Why MS didn't do two versions of W8 (tablet and desktop/laptop) I'll never know. Apple succeeded by selling iOS and OSX which work well on the devices they are designed for.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Why MS didn't do two versions of W8 (tablet and desktop/laptop) I'll never know.
    They did it because they knew they had a failing mobile phone operating system as well and the only way they could actually get people to write apps for it was to move their entire ecosystem over at the same time.

To be fair, it kind of worked. But desktop users are the ones suffering.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But mobile apps don't work with desktop and vice versa. I can't get Rowi on my desktop for example.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    An extra step , Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000, NT 4 would all take me to the desktop without having to press a key!

I've taken the learning plunge and gone Mac instead, Microsoft have lost the plot. Windows 8, Windows Mobile 8, Xbox One, all wrong wrong wrong.
    This is what makes me laugh, people are willing to learn to use a mac but complain because they have to learn to use Windows 8. Is it really because Microsoft isn't a cool company?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    They did it because they knew they had a failing mobile phone operating system as well and the only way they could actually get people to write apps for it was to move their entire ecosystem over at the same time.

To be fair, it kind of worked. But desktop users are the ones suffering.

it depends what you call a failing mobile os. It may be small numbers still but it's growing quicker than anything else out there. So it's not all doom and gloom.

I presume Microsoft are finally getting there act together with the three screens thing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    I can see where they were going with Metro - on a tablet it works pretty well. But not on a desktop. The world is full of desktops and they will be around for some time yet. Even with a touchscreen desktop the metro UI will give you RSI stretching across to use it!

Why MS didn't do two versions of W8 (tablet and desktop/laptop) I'll never know. Apple succeeded by selling iOS and OSX which work well on the devices they are designed for.
    Have you ever used a touch screen laptop/desktop? I used a desktop one for a couple of weeks and actually found it pretty good. You don't use the touch screen exclusively, but in combination with the keyboard/mouse. So the RSI stuff isn't an issue. In my testing i thought it worked pretty well. Back to my normal desktop now and i keep touching the screen! lol

With every release of windows we seem to have a year of people hating it until the hardware catches up with it, in this case with different form factors.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    This is what makes me laugh, people are willing to learn to use a mac but complain because they have to learn to use Windows 8.
    +1 exactly
    Last edited by cogrady84; 19th June 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Dont know about anyone else but I wouldnt employ an IT tech who bought a Mac because the new Windows was too hard to figure out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast