+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, I'm done with W8 in Technical; Do bear in mind Win 8.1 will feature boot to desktop so a bit longer and that won't be an ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do bear in mind Win 8.1 will feature boot to desktop so a bit longer and that won't be an issue.

Live tiles are fantastic and I want more of them! I can't get enough of them on my phone, literally since app makers aren't using Live Tiles to the best of their ability yet. Unfortunately on the desktop, the software behind the live tile is often designed poorly and it is this Metro design philosophy where everything has to be a full-screen, touch-based nightmare with a mouse and keyboard that the system gets let down. Metro apps are not designed with desktop users in mind, where we want more information on the screen which Live Tiles accomplish just for the actual app itself to reduce the amount of information on screen with full-screen pictures and tedious "swiping."

And if it can make a Twitter notification go to the Twitter website instead of a poorly made Metro app, that'd be an example of desktop integration I'd love to see!

Thank Post
    I don't get the hate for metro I load at home maybe half a dozen apps ie metro/ff depending on laptop/tablet/site mail a couple of games and a few odd others how does having them on 1 screen a la metro hurt me or most people and if I need to dig into deployment toolkit its still there its no worse than personalized menus on win7 that hides stuff you don't use

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let me get this straight, people moaning that I tried nothing.

I tried OpenGL W7, Vista, XP drivers for my machine, nothing worked
    I tried Intel W7, Vista, XP drivers for my machine, nothing worked
    I tried TitaniumOpenGL W7, Vista and XP drivers for my machine, nothing worked.

This laptop is 4 years old, support for the drivers went, around 2 years ago. Every driver I attempted, failed.

It was not for lack of trying, it was for lack of drivers for the machine. I spent a good 10 hours searching and trying all sorts.

As for W8, I have it on my desktop, runs smooth as silk!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    I don't get the hate for metro I load at home maybe half a dozen apps ie metro/ff depending on laptop/tablet/site mail a couple of games and a few odd others how does having them on 1 screen a la metro hurt me or most people and if I need to dig into deployment toolkit its still there its no worse than personalized menus on win7 that hides stuff you don't use
    If you use it on a touch screen device such as a tablet the design makes sense. It doesn't make sense once you venture back into keyboard land.

Example, the Twitter app snapped to the side bar. If you want to refresh you either grab the scrollbar and scroll up to refresh (scroll wheel won't work) or right click, go all the way down to the bottom of the screen and click refresh in the bar that appears. If it was designed with desktop in mind, you would have a refresh button on screen and right click would create a menu under the mouse instead of clicking, wondering where the menu is and noticing it is down the bottom.

Likewise, if I bring up a news app then having lots of stories in front of me, categorised and showing me the information I want. Instead I am shown a full screen picture with one news item.

In both cases it is far more productive and powerful to open a web browser and visit the Twitter or BBC News website for a proper desktop experience, rendering the relevant Metro app redundant. The only use the Twitter app serves on my PC is the notification to prompt me to visit the Twitter site when I get a message. This is experience from loading many Metro apps myself and in nearly all cases, a website has been a better option.

Thank Post
    So if you don't like Win 8 it's because you're too lazy or too ignorant to get used to it? Some thoughtful, insightful responses worthy of genuine consideration...

6. Thanks to Gibson335 from:

nephilim (18th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson335 View Post
    So if you don't like Win 8 it's because you're too lazy or too ignorant to get used to it? Some thoughtful, insightful responses worthy of genuine consideration...
    If that's all you want to take from it, then so be it. However, for some people, that is the case. There are compelling arguments both for and against, but some people seem to just jump on the negativity bandwagon, instead of formulating their own opinions.

I have experienced people buying new hardware and being told to take it back because its running windows 8, even though they haven't used the OS themselves... grinds my gears.

Windows 8 has alot to offer, and it should only improve upon that in time.
    Last edited by cogrady84; 18th June 2013 at 09:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cogrady84 View Post
    If that's all you want to take from it, then so be it. However, for some people, that is the case. There are compelling arguments both for and against, but some people seem to just jump on the negativity bandwagon, instead of formulating their own opinions.

Windows 8 has alot to offer, and it should only improve upon that in time.
    But that does sound just a little like '...instead of formulating the same opinion I have.'

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson335 View Post
    But that does sound just a little like '...instead of formulating the same opinion I have.'
    You say that like i'm the only person in this thread who likes windows 8? -_-

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I remember the same arguments that Vista was the most amazing thing since sliced bread

History will not record Windows 8 kindly.

I have no doubt Microsoft will fix it with version 9 though, at the very least they should learn that not everyone uses Frankenstein touch computers quite yet

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cogrady84 View Post
    You say that like i'm the only person in this thread who likes windows 8? -_-
    No, I say it entirely based on the manner and style of your posts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LohamTheTech View Post
    Get a grip. I've got windows 8 across my school. Kids love it, teachers love it. Not had any issues with it.

How it is it an awful release?? Its Windows 7 with Metro screen across the front of it.

The issue with people and Windows 8 is the fact you have to do something different to press start. Pathetic really.

I've got to agree with Robjduk.
    And thats the point - its Windows 7 with a crappy unwanted interface stuck on it - so why bother at all!

I by no means an Apple fan but at least OSX is incremented without dicking about with the interface.
    Last edited by Sheridan; 18th June 2013 at 10:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I just noticed today that in Win 8, Microsoft have removed 'Manage Wireless Profiles' which was extremely useful in Win 7. Why on earth have they removed this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    And thats the point - its Windows 7 with a crappy unwanted interface stuck on it - so why bother at all!
    And windows 7 is Vista with slight interface changes, and we all know how popular Vista was and how much everyone loves 7.*

My bets are that Windows 9 will be no different interface wise, just a bit of tweaking, but as with Vista>7, by that point everyone "will have gotten used to it" and it will be hailed as the new "XP/7".

*Of course neither yours or my statement are accurate as there is far more to it than just interface changes.

Thank Post
    I am by no means a luddite, and have been using W8 at home since launch.

However (you just knew there had to be one didn't you) I think TIFKAM is a crap interface. Some of the many small irritants I could list include taking almost four clicks to shut down, and if I type 'firewall' into the search it brings nothing back meaning I have to go through Control Panel.

They are only small irritants, but W8 contains a lot of them IMHO. I wouldn't dream of foisting it on my users in it's current state.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    I type 'firewall' into the search it brings nothing back meaning I have to go through Control Panel.
    If you look on the right side of the search screen and select "settings", it'll bring back the Windows Firewall (and anything else you might wish to search for in Control Panel)!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast