+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, I'm done with W8 in Technical; I've got a mix, Win7 on my work desktop and home gaming PC but Win8 on both my ThinkPads (T430s ...
    Thank Post
    I've got a mix, Win7 on my work desktop and home gaming PC but Win8 on both my ThinkPads (T430s and x100e). Win8 suits the mobile devices well and I don't mind Metro for casual \ light work, however for heavier daily work with multiple (I mean 20+) windows I'm more productive on Win7 as too many of the power user UI elements are either missing or take an extra keystroke or two to access which I find slows me down when multiplied together.

All comes down to the appropriate use argument that comes up time and again with technology, trying to force one size fits all inevitably ends up fitting none of them (imo)
    Last edited by gshaw; 17th June 2013 at 12:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,086 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    only on x64 I believe
    Correct. Hyper-V wouldn't make any sense on a 32-bit OS.

3. Thanks to Arthur from:

jugglerjoe (17th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Windows 8 Pro & Enterprise both have Hyper-V which can be used like XP Mode in Windows 7.
    Despite having an i5 and 4GB RAM, my laptop can't hack hyper V with another machine running... I tried it on Windows 7 when I had issues with the same game. I overcame that by fettling.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,534 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Despite having an i5 and 4GB RAM, my laptop can't hack hyper V with another machine running... I tried it on Windows 7 when I had issues with the same game. I overcame that by fettling.
    Probably the hard disk causing it.

Thank Post
    i suspect its the 4gb of ram tbh
    also hyper v on win8 dosent seem to support audio so not much use for gaming

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Windows 7 or bust, especially when gaming is involved.
    I really don't understand this mentality... i've been using Windows 8 on my home and office PC since release day, had 0 problems with drivers/games. Your on edugeek.net, keyword being geek... fix your problems? Theres nothing inherently wrong with the operating system apart from laziness and ignorance on the other side of the keyboard...

8. Thanks to cogrady84 from:

jugglerjoe (17th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 835 Posts
    Windows 8 vs. Windows 7 is the new Mac vs. Windows...

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @cogrady: Whoa! Chill a bit! It's just an Operating System at the end of the day and everyone has their prefs. I only picked up Win 8 because it was significantly cheaper then Win 7 on release. It's a great OS but has severe problems with the near useless bolt-on called Metro which has given the OS a bad reputation and puts people off. Ignore Metro or not, it is still a key part of the OS that should be considered when deciding what to use.

And I say this as a WP8 adopter who finds the mobile version of Metro to be a delight to use, it just has no place on the desktop as the app design leads to frustration instead of ease of use. Better desktop integration with Metro would make Win 8 a powerful and delightful OS to use IMO.
    Last edited by CAM; 17th June 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cogrady84 View Post
    I really don't understand this mentality... i've been using Windows 8 on my home and office PC since release day, had 0 problems with drivers/games. Your on edugeek.net, keyword being geek... fix your problems? Theres nothing inherently wrong with the operating system apart from laziness and ignorance on the other side of the keyboard...
    Ouch! That seems pretty agressive. People on here try to help each other not attack them.
    I was lucky enough to find an answer to my problem, which I shared in this thread, however I still find some aspects of Windows 8 problematic or just frustrating.
    I've been using 8 since October of last year at work and at home and I only realised last week that the DVD Maker was missing, MS seems to have added some (many?) unwanted functions to Windows 8 and taken away some which were very useful, albeit only occasionally.

Thank Post
    I could create a very long list with whats wrong with Windows 8....

Thank Post
    Windows 7 had way more problems, and was a far larger departure in terms of UI from Windows XP. Yet it is the holy grail of operating systems now, people need to be less scared of change. Its not like your forced to use Metro, a quick tap of the windows key and your on the desktop, as you were...

Sizeable performance improvements over Windows 7 in various applications, practically instant bootup, a streamlined GUI, security improvements, cloud integration, superior multi-monitor support (fantastic for gaming/office), far better diagnostic support tools (new taskmanager and performance indicators, file transfer ui), pooled storage, picture passwords... the list goes on... things need to move forward... embrace it!
    Last edited by cogrady84; 17th June 2013 at 03:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 835 Posts
    Windows 7 had way more problems, and was a far larger departure in terms of UI from Windows XP.
    Which version of XP/7 did you use?!

Thank Post
    Its not like your forced to use Metro, a quick tap of the windows key and your on the desktop, as you were...
    An extra step , Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000, NT 4 would all take me to the desktop without having to press a key!

I've taken the learning plunge and gone Mac instead, Microsoft have lost the plot. Windows 8, Windows Mobile 8, Xbox One, all wrong wrong wrong.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    An extra step , Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000, NT 4 would all take me to the desktop without having to press a key!

I've taken the learning plunge and gone Mac instead, Microsoft have lost the plot. Windows 8, Windows Mobile 8, Xbox One, all wrong wrong wrong.
    I find it quite nice to get a quick "at a glance" look at all my live tiles, showing me the latest formula 1 news, stock portfolio updates, recent search trends, current weather, netflix updates, news etc... I guess it's not for everyone, but I find it quite handy

I fail to see how your going to solve this problem of having to press an additional key during bootup, by migrating to a Unix based operating system, be prepared for much larger headaches!
    Last edited by cogrady84; 17th June 2013 at 03:44 PM.

Thank Post
    I find it quite nice to get a quick "at a glance" look at all my live tiles, showing me the latest formula 1 news, stock portfolio updates, recent search trends, current weather, netflix updates, news etc... I guess it's not for everyone, but I find it quite handy

I fail to see how your going to solve this problem of having to press an additional key during bootup, by migrating to a Unix based operating system, be prepared for much larger headaches!
    I think he has had enough of Microsoft desktop OS's as a whole. I suppose mac's tend to 'feel' pretty much the same no matter what they do!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast