+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, I'm done with W8 in Technical; Originally Posted by Simcfc73 Damn... thought you said you were down with Windows 8 in the title. Not sure what ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    Damn... thought you said you were down with Windows 8 in the title.

Not sure what benfits you get from W8 except a baby start screen. FA to do with learning a new OS, more to do with time management.
    Time management???

Put a windows 8 build on a teacher PC, then you see the benefits.

Put a windows 8 build on a computer a student uses, then you see the benefits.

The response I've had from it has been outstanding. They find it so easy to use, no ones really bothered about the start button being missing. Its just a case of either moving the mouse to one corner, or simply pressing the windows key. How hard is that?!

Thank Post
    I only don't like W8 because its management is crap. (From a IT view)

Love it on my Touchscreen Notebook!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I am running from my Intel board
    There's your problem. Intel doesn't make proper GPUs!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The millions of licenses sold means nothing and it's silly Microsoft officials keep quoting these numbers.
    That must mean the millions of Windows 7 licenses sold are meaningless too since many businesses (and some home users) downgraded straight to XP?

Thank Post
    I've had 8 on my work machine for a while now and haven't really had any issues with it. Don't see the case for deploying it anywhere in the school just yet though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    There's your problem. Intel doesn't make proper GPUs!

That must mean the millions of Windows 7 licenses sold are meaningless too since many businesses (and some home users) downgraded straight to XP?
    Exactly the same principle applies, especially when Win 7 was first released many users downgraded. I find looking at the real numbers of licenses/copies actually in use is a lot more accurate and more interesting how well the market is adopting a particular platform or OS.

It's the same with browsers too. IE is installed on every copy of Windows, but it doesn't mean users are using it. The stats about the fall in IE use and rise in FF and Chrome make for a more interesting read and understanding.

I believe Win 7's market share globally is something like 50%, which goes to show despite the millions of copies it has sold, it's still not adopted everywhere. XP is probably about 30% and Vista 5% globally.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Wanted to play some of my games on my laptop for Windows 8, but hey, the drivers were not available for windows 8, so I tried the Windows 7 versions, somehow, they aren't compatible (despite being the same architecture). It came to a head when I re-downloaded minecraft on here thinking it should work, and it doesn't because windows 8 doesn't support openGL unless you have either an ATI or NVidia gfx card, and I am running from my intel board no this thing. Yup, done...table flipped.

My daughter has an old laptop (Pentium Dual Core) with an Intel graphics chip. I installed Windows 8 on it last October and found as you did that Minecraft wouldn't run, but a quick Google search revealed that if you use some older graphics drivers it works fine.
    So I found the (I think?) Windows 7 drivers, installed them and Minecraft works fine. The only glitch came when I updated the drivers from Windows Update (Doh! I forgot they didn't work), but I rolled the driver back and all was well again. I'm at work so don't know which driver version works, but I could find out if anyone needs it.

7. Thanks to casey from:

LohamTheTech (17th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    My daughter has an old laptop (Pentium Dual Core) with an Intel graphics chip. I installed Windows 8 on it last October and found as you did that Minecraft wouldn't run, but a quick Google search revealed that if you use some older graphics drivers it works fine.
    So I found the (I think?) Windows 7 drivers, installed them and Minecraft works fine. The only glitch came when I updated the drivers from Windows Update (Doh! I forgot they didn't work), but I rolled the driver back and all was well again. I'm at work so don't know which driver version works, but I could find out if anyone needs it.
    And this people, is how you fix your IT problems.

lmgtfy.com

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    It's the same with older Intel Graphics and Win 7, however XP drivers most of the time work. Not entirely sure why Intel have done this as they seem to be support network drivers on Win 2000 to the latest Server 2012 in most instances.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I tried XP, Vista and 7 drivers, XP flat out didn't work, vista and 7 caused graphical glitches, but as soon as I reinstalled W7, no problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LohamTheTech View Post
    Get a grip. I've got windows 8 across my school. Kids love it, teachers love it. Not had any issues with it.

How it is it an awful release?? Its Windows 7 with Metro screen across the front of it.

The issue with people and Windows 8 is the fact you have to do something different to press start. Pathetic really.

I've got to agree with Robjduk.
    Do you have it with Server 2012? I tried a Win 8 machine on a 2008 R2 domain and it didn't really work properly, you know, group policies and what not. I want to get it working because I have schools with Volume License, so I can use it.

I have it on my laptop at home. 2 problems, 1 - I can't attach to my bluetooth speaker anymore, 2 - I can't play Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun any more. But whatevs... we must move forward!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Do you have it with Server 2012? I tried a Win 8 machine on a 2008 R2 domain and it didn't really work properly, you know, group policies and what not. I want to get it working because I have schools with Volume License, so I can use it.

I have it on my laptop at home. 2 problems, 1 - I can't attach to my bluetooth speaker anymore, 2 - I can't play Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun any more. But whatevs... we must move forward!
    In Windows 7 there was an XP Mode (optional download) which was useful. This is different from Compatibility Mode. I wonder if there's a Windows 7 Mode in Windows 8? May be worth exploring?

Thank Post
    In Windows 7 there was an XP Mode (optional download) which was useful. This is different from Compatibility Mode. I wonder if there's a Windows 7 Mode in Windows 8? May be worth exploring?
    doubt the diffences woould be enough as isnt it basically the same kernel anyway?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Believe me when I say I have tried EVERYTHING!! :-P

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    I wonder if there's a Windows 7 Mode in Windows 8?
    Windows 8 Pro & Enterprise both have Hyper-V which can be used like XP Mode in Windows 7.

16. Thanks to Arthur from:

Michael (17th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Windows 8 Pro & Enterprise both have Hyper-V which can be used like XP Mode in Windows 7.
    only on x64 i believe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast