+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, RETURN OF THE START BUTTON - THANKS MICROSOFT in Technical; BBC News - Microsoft 'U-turn' sees Start button back on Windows 8...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

RETURN OF THE START BUTTON - THANKS MICROSOFT

Thank Post
    It's not really the Start button though is it, just an additional graphic taking you back to the Metro Start screen, must've took a lot of effort to implement

Still means you have to go full screen to launch an app unless you want your entire taskbar littered with icons. Funny thing is I don't mind the rest of Win8 and don't actually hate the Start screen as a first point of contact at boot - just don't like being distracted while working in desktop apps.

Thank Post
    if it's just going to be a link to the metro interface I can't see the point in bringing it back really, I've got used to life without it to the point where I don't use it on my windows 7 machines now - I just use the windows key

Booting the machine straight to desktop on the other hand will be of use as i only use metro as a glorified start menu anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,834 Times in 2,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old_n07 View Post
    I can't see the point in bringing it back really
    Isn't it what "everyone" wanted?

Quote Originally Posted by old_n07 View Post
    Booting the machine straight to desktop on the other hand will be of use
    I wonder how many people will boot to the desktop and straight away click the new Start button to open the Start Screen? Effectively doing what Windows 8.0 did for you automatically on login.

Thank Post
    Wanted a Start button that has at least some of the functionality of the Win7 one so while in desktop mode you don't need full screen Metro in your face.

This implementation will help the absolute beginners who didn't know the Windows key but maybe not the desktop mode diehards.

Thank Post
    I'd like a Start button (opening the Modern UI interface is okay I guess) but also some mouse driven replacements for the charms, so actual clickable buttons somewhere easy from the desktop. Moving across to the top right for accessing the system properties quickly on a server does my nut.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Moving across to the top right for accessing the system properties quickly on a server does my nut.
    Why not use the Win + X menu? Just right-click in the bottom left corner or press the Windows key + X.

8. Thanks to Arthur from:

jamesfed (31st May 2013)

Thank Post
    Whether we like it or not, the Modern UI (formerly known as Metro) is the future and whether or not it has a Start button to activate it is neither here nor there as the most likely thing that will happen with the next Windows client OS is that the Desktop will disappear completely. Nobody likes change so we can either embrace it or live in the past.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    It's not really the Start button though is it
    Microsoft are calling it the "Start Tip". It can't be removed which means you have room for one less icon on the taskbar compared to Windows 8.0.

Microsoft is simply bringing back a Start button that will be enabled by default in Windows 8.1 and works across the desktop mode and Start Screen. Although it won't always be visible in Windows 8-style applications, if you hover over the lower left-hand corner it will appear just like the traditional button used in Windows for years. It's not an optional element either, Windows 8.1 users will not be able to disable the new Start button. (Source)
    We've improved the way you navigate to Start with the mouse by changing the Start "tip" to be the familiar Windows logo. The new tip appears anytime you move the mouse to the bottom left corner of the screen and is always visible on the taskbar when on the desktop. There are also options to change what the corners do, and options to boot into alternate screens. For example, if you prefer to see the Apps view versus all the tiles, you can choose to have the Start screen go directly to Apps view. (Source)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Microsoft are calling it the "Start Tip". It can't be removed which means you have room for one less icon on the taskbar compared to Windows 8.0.
    I think they should have just continued to stick without any kind of button to be honest! I know I'm speaking for myself and probably not many others but I very rarely even enter into the Metro UI everything I need to do is via Windows Key > Type (search) > Enter or CTRL+X or it's pinned to the task bar for quick access.

Now I loose one less icon!! :-) Mean!! I'm going to kick up a fuss about that. haha!

I'm sorry, I just cannot come to terms with why people fail to see the problem to be honest I'm yet to come across someone who can't work with it, especially once they realise how quick it is when you use Windows Key > Search... In fact I had the same questions today when working with a group of people and as soon as I showed them how I use it, they were like oh? that's not so bad then once you get used to it.. and they smiled! :-)

WinKey + X = Admin Tools
    WinKey + C = Charms Bar (for you RDP people that complain!) ;-)
    WinKey > Type = Easy access to apps

shall I continue?
    Last edited by EduTech; 30th May 2013 at 11:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    I know I'm speaking for myself and probably not many others but I very rarely even enter into the Metro UI everything I need to do is via Windows Key > Type (search) > Enter or CTRL+X or it's pinned to the task bar
    The first thing I do is go to the desktop and do exactly what you do! Don't really use the Modern UI much as after installing lots of program's it gets very, very messy.

Thank Post
    Why get rid of a perfectly good start menu like the one in Windows 7?

I still hold that the Modern UI should have ONLY been available to those with a touchscreen devices - specifically a Surface or a Tablet device and a traditional UI for PCs/Desktops - and more importantly Server! Why on earth did Microsoft think that the Modern UI was suitable for a Server environment?

All these fancy hotspots are all nicey nice, but they are not practical when limited to a 1x1 pixel in the corner of the screen - this makes RDP sessions to a Windwos 8 / 2012 device a bloomin' nightmare!

At least Apple and Linux (KDE and Gnome) gave you a good sized hotspot that fades in when you get near to it, then fades away when not.
    The Charms Bar and Start Screen whateveritscalled are completely hidden unless the user moves their cursor aimlessly around the screen. They also get in the way when you try and close a window, or open the first icon on the taskbar!

It's rare that I do not embrace new software - especially Windows! I used ME and Vista during beta and even when they RTM'd. ME didn't last too long because it was unstable and a lot of stuff didn't work.

Windows 8 however, I didn't even like during Beta. I still gave it a shot and installed it and used it and got used to the new way of working, but it was still a bad user experience. The final nail in the coffin for it however, was when I discovered that Metro Apps DO NOT work behind proxies - by design!! I had installed it for my son on his laptop and he did like being able to get games down from the store (free games mind!)..
    Then I put a proxy in and it all stopped - Virtually every app failed to work or had an issue when behind the proxy..

So Windows 8 came off and Windows 7 went back on.. and there Windows 7 shall stay for the time being...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    I was waiting for this update but as MS have basically ignored what everyone has been screaming for [ proper Start Button ] then I'm dumping the Win 8 I currently have on the family laptop downstairs.
    This will be done as soon as I'm back in old blighty - when ever that is. When accessing it from a hotel / office using Team Viewer I end up shouting at it. And yes I know there are free versions of the start button but why can't we simply have an option to turn it off or on ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    All nice and fine for him but what about a choice of having a start button and a choice of not having a start button. Oh and how about a choice of having pull down menus or a Ribbon ?
    I've had to move to Office 2010 and boy that sucks balls, Outlook = click, click, click click, where is that feature gone ? Click, scroll down, click, click click.....
    Would not mind but would like a choice.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast