+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, RETURN OF THE START BUTTON - THANKS MICROSOFT in Technical; I actually prefer the ribbon to Pull down menus.. But i definitely agree that there should have been a choice ...

Thank Post
    I actually prefer the ribbon to Pull down menus..
    But i definitely agree that there should have been a choice between Metro Start and "classic" (aka Windows 7) Start Menu's

Windows XP had a separate Tablet Edition - why couldn't they have done the same with Windows 8?
    In fact Windows 7 installed the Tablet components automatically if it detected Touchscreen or tablet hardware...

They have really have shot themselves in the foot - its worse than ME and Vista combined in terms of user negativity..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I actually prefer the ribbon to Pull down menus..
    But i definitely agree that there should have been a choice between Metro Start and "classic" (aka Windows 7) Start Menu's

Windows XP had a separate Tablet Edition - why couldn't they have done the same with Windows 8?
    In fact Windows 7 installed the Tablet components automatically if it detected Touchscreen or tablet hardware...

They have really have shot themselves in the foot - its worse than ME and Vista combined in terms of user negativity..
    Thats a good point, when you install Windows 7 on a laptop, it installs the extra features only a laptop would need as it detects you are using a laptop !![ you can hack it so you get these on a workstation ] So this is the correct method and one which MS should have kept for Windows 8. Installing it on a workstation or non-touch device ? Have a start button or at least pop up a choice of it and or booting into the desktop.....
    Seems like MS have really shot themselves in the foot. Steven Sinofsky should have stopped being all arty farty and concentrated more on what made them big to start with. Desktop and business users.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,964 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Have a start button or at least pop up a choice of it and or booting into the desktop.....
    Windows 8.1 has a Start button and can boot to the desktop, so you can stop complaining now.

One of the best things about the Start Screen are the live tiles that update themselves with information from the Internet. All you get with Windows 7's Start Menu are tiny static icons.

The following is just a hypothetical example Matt, but let's say you wanted to find out if your train to work was on time, what the weather was like in London, your internal and external IP addresses and how many Nectar points you had.

To find out all of this information in Windows 7 would take several minutes and require you to visit at least four different websites and run ipconfig from the Command Prompt (or go to the Network and Sharing Center and check the properties of your NIC).

In Windows 8, you would check your Start Screen and look at the live tiles of the relevant apps. Total time spent: a few seconds!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Nothing more than eye candy. Just give me a desktop with a start button and none of this stupid touch crap.
    Fine if you want to waste your time pinching and swiping but no good to someone who is looking after 24 subnets globally. MS were shitting bricks they were falling behind the likes of apple and their pad etc and they what they come up with is a half baked piece of shite whislt forgetting their core users. If it's so good then why are millions of users complaining and why are the sales of it so bad ? Even the dedicated hardware they are selling is terrible. I think one paper called it Microsoft's 'New Coke' moment. I agree with that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Windows 8.1 has a Start button and can boot to the desktop, so you can stop complaining now.

One of the best things about the Start Screen are the live tiles that update themselves with information from the Internet. All you get with Windows 7's Start Menu are tiny static icons.

The following is just a hypothetical example Matt, but let's say you wanted to find out if your train to work was on time, what the weather was like in London, your internal and external IP addresses and how many Nectar points you had.

To find out all of this information in Windows 7 would take several minutes and require you to visit at least four different websites and run ipconfig from the Command Prompt (or go to the Network and Sharing Center and check the properties of your NIC).

In Windows 8, you would check your Start Screen and look at the live tiles of the relevant apps. Total time spent: a few seconds!

Thank Post
    Nothing more than eye candy. Just give me a desktop with a start button and none of this stupid touch crap.
    My Windows 8 PC is connected to a 27" non-touchscreen LCD (which it also shares with a Mac). I manage to cope just fine with my mouse and keyboard. Where do you get the idea that you have to use a touchscreen or use Metro apps?

why are the sales of it so bad?
    100 million licenses sold so far is "bad"? Yes, many of them will be downgraded but that applies to every version of Windows so far. Many businesses downgraded W7 licenses to XP!

Even the dedicated hardware they are selling is terrible.
    First versions usually are. Just look at most Apple hardware. There are always issues with rev. 1.

Thank Post

you could do all that with gadgets

7. 2 Thanks to sted:

CAM (2nd June 2013), zag (5th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Tbh I turn 90% of the default live tiles off as I find the constant movement irritating, the one that would be most useful (Outlook) still isn't a live tile which is a shame being a 2013 line product.

Start screen is OK for launching programs, don't mind it in that respect but I had this scenario yesterday while I was working on a lab setup of Server 2012 on Win8 Hyper-V...

Wanted to re-open my notepad doc to add some config details...

Click back to the Start screen to run notepad or use Win+R manually
    File menu,
    Open
    Navigate to folder
    Open file

On Win7...

Start, move to pinned Notepad item
    Swish across to the jump list, click

I know from the stats you posted on a link only about 2% of Win7 users had the foresight to do the jump list on the Start Menu but it really slows me down not being there in Win8 (I tend to work on lots of different documents at once and need to close / open quickly and easily)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Wanted to re-open my notepad doc to add some config details...
    This is what I would do.

1. Start Screen Type 'no' for Notepad Press Enter

2. Right-click the Notepad icon on the taskbar, select the document you want to open from the list of recent documents. If you are always opening the same set of files each time, click the Pin icon next to the filenames and they will always be pinned to the top of the Jump List.

Btw, if you install Notepad2-mod, you could also click the Recent History menu. I install this program on every PC I use because it has tons of useful features that the regular Notepad lacks (e.g. syntax highlighting, code folding, line numbers, text sorting, duplicate/empty line removal etc.)

or

1. Start Screen Type 'sub' for Sublime Text Press Enter // or click the Sublime Text icon on the Taskbar.

2. Sublime Text opens all of the documents I had been working on previously (a huge time saver!). The open source Notepad++ has the same feature too.

Alternatively use the Open Recent menu.

If you are regularly working with many different text files and scripts, I would highly recommend using a text editor with more features (like the ones mentioned above). With a few minor changes to your workflow, you will be much happier.

Thank Post
    i use notepad ++ for the same reasons

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What's new for the enterprise in Windows 8.1 :-)

What

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    What's new for the enterprise in Windows 8.1
    There's some info on Windows Server 2012 R2 in the following thread too...

www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-8/114231-what-s-new-enterprise-windows-8-1-a.html

Thank Post
    This is what I would do...
    All valid points and well detailed, I'm already a lifetime member of the Notepad2 fan club as it's awesome for working on scripts and handles the Unix line breaks of doom that Windows notepad trashes

I've always hated pinning non-running apps on the taskbar, I'll only keep a max of 3 there which goes back to how I had my Quick Launch bar set up in the Win98 days, anything more just looks cluttered (ironic as my desktop is a tip!)

Just want someone to make a slide out panel launcher so I can keep some useful but not-often-used apps there for easy access without disrupting what's on the screen. Can live with it on my laptop (where I've removed the Win7 dual boot now and gone solely Win8) but not so much on the more heavily used desktop machine while there's not a compelling reason to move apart from the fact it's "new".

Thank Post
    I've always hated pinning non-running apps on the taskbar
    Windows remembers what's on the jump lists even if the apps aren't permanently pinned to the taskbar. Try it and you'll see.

I'll only keep a max of 3 there
    I've got 30 on my taskbar. I think I'll have to remove some of them because there's only room for 36 in total.

Just want someone to make a slide out panel launcher so I can keep some useful but not-often-used apps there for easy access without disrupting what's on the screen.
    That's really easy in Windows 8 actually.

Thank Post
    Glad to see olde custom toolbar trick still lives on

Didn't really need Quick Launch in its original incarnation once Vista / 7 did the pinned apps, used the same idea but just had them a bit larger, same as MS had in mind when they pre-pin IE, Explorer and WMP on all Win7 installs by default.

Can't imagine 30+ pins on the taskbar the whole time, nurse my eyes they're burning... so many colours, so little space!

Btw have you got a quick hack to change the Window title bar text, I like my ones dark grey but MS hard coded the text colour to black which kinda makes it invisible. Seen a few people with some workarounds but they all looked a bit clunky... shame the custom UI colour settings window got killed as that goes back to about Win 3.1 in places, retro ftw

I was thinking more like this, make use of the Metro UI...

Last edited by gshaw; 3rd June 2013 at 11:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Seen a few people with some workarounds but they all looked a bit clunky...
    Did it involve downloading themes and/or editing the default .theme files in %SystemRoot%\Resources?

retro ftw
    Definitely!

I was thinking more like this, make use of the Metro UI...
    Is that screenshot from Windows 8.1?
    Last edited by Arthur; 4th June 2013 at 12:09 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast