+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, Metro Metrics Survey in Technical; A company called Soluto has run a survey on how Metro is used in Windows 8 and come to the ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Metro Metrics Survey

A company called Soluto has run a survey on how Metro is used in Windows 8 and come to the conclusion that...well, what we knew already really. Nobody uses it on a desktop and surprisingly, neither do they use it on a regular basis on a tablet.

More than half of Windows 8 users just treat it like Windows 7 ? The Register

Metro really is pointless!

Thank Post
    if there were apps out there worth using that were on metro id use them (and i use a few granted games, converters, mail, ie) regularly some on tablet more than pc (ie) but i dont think its as bad as people think

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,814 Times in 2,076 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    A company called Soluto has run a survey on how Metro is used in Windows 8
    If it wasn't already obvious, it's worth pointing out that their survey data is taken solely from business PCs that have Soluto's management software installed (soluto.com/business). A case of selection bias don't you think?

Soluto’s monthly insights report is provided to people using Soluto's PC management service in their business. Some of these reports are also shared with the public. If you're an IT manager or an IT service provider - give Soluto a try. You’ll love it. (Source)
    I can't think of many businesses that would upgrade from Windows XP or 7 to Windows 8 and immediately ditch the desktop apps they were using previously for Metro apps.

The results of this survey are not surprising at all. It's a nice bit of free advertising for Soluto though!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep it does appear that the selection is based on business machines but this doesn't constitute selection bias as the report is aimed at businesses. The opening line is "Many small businesses face the question of whether to upgrade to Windows 8". This is more a case of selective reporting by The Reg

Thank Post
    I run Win8 here at work, and at home as well..

I honestly can't remember the last TIFKAM app I launched.. probably one of the games?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Someone has to run the survey and it's not like you could trust Microsoft's data with their current attitudes!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    the report is aimed at businesses.
    It's an advert for Soluto's management software disguised as a survey. The sentence that says "give Soluto a try. You’ll love it" is a dead giveaway.

They know all too well that lots of sites will write articles about this survey because any bad press to do with Windows 8 generates lots of page-views and thus ad impressions (just as it does with Apple products). The only reason companies commission surveys is to sell something or to discredit their competitors. There's always a hidden agenda.

Personally, I don't use many Metro apps because there are hardly any good apps (which is expected since W8 has only been available to the general public for around seven months) and I have a lot of desktop apps that I have paid good money for over the years. I might as well use them!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah you are a cynical old sausage Arthur

Anywho, I still think its fair to say that TIFKAM is not a raging success.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 23rd May 2013 at 11:39 PM.

Thank Post
    What's the definition of TIFKAM? Is it any app which runs full screen as a posed to in the desktop mode? If so I run one several times every day; adobe reader. I have 2 monitors so it really doesn't matter to me - no advantage either way. I haven't bothered to install the desktop app so...
    I do agree the full screen apps are pointless for desktop but overall windows 8 is agreeing with me after only a month or so of using it. If you keep an open mind you will find that the interface is massively quicker to use, even on a desktop. Finding some of the settings is a PITA but it was the same from 98>2000/XP of XP>7.

It should come into it's own as more apps are developed. I am yet to find a way to use SIMS on a tablet-like device other than by purchasing Emerge. A metro based SIMS interface is one of the last hurdles in our plan to give teachers win 8 pro tablets.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 23rd May 2013 at 10:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    What's the definition of TIFKAM?
    Essentially any app downloaded through the Windows Store.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh don't get me wrong I like windows 8 in desktop mode, just never use the metro stuff.
    Can see it on a tablet but seems irrelevant on a desktop.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The reason I shared it isn't because it's an advert for this Solutori whatever it's called company but because it pretty much sums up how I use Win 8 myself. I launch maybe one app at best, Twitter snapped to the side, but the functionality in the app is poor and I can only snap one program to the side. The only reason I do it is because it partly integrates well with the desktop, I'd love to just hover the mouse over the timeline and scroll mind you. Rest of Win 8 is excellent as far as I am concerned.

Anything else in Metro that I have used is frankly crap, not even Windows Phone OS behaves as badly as it's desktop counterpart. Also don't forget any survey or company has a motive for what they do and don't do things for fun. Even EduGeek is a business that needs to generate revenue hence the sponsors and banner adverts on the site.

Thank Post
    On my home desktop PC I am almost always in 'desktop mode' but that is because that is the style of the applications that I use on my desktop (e.g. Full IE/Office/Games/PhotoShop).

However on my Surface (RT) things changes - I never use the desktop version of IE (Modern UI is much more suited), I use the mail app excusively, I play the games in Modern UI, I use OneNote in Modern UI, Skype in Modern UI and so on....

Why? Because its perfect for my Tablet PC

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread