+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows Blue - Confirmed as 8.1 and Free! in Technical; PS is a brilliant tool, but it shouldn't be developed at the expense of the graphical environment - which is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    PS is a brilliant tool, but it shouldn't be developed at the expense of the graphical environment - which is what their millions of server admins are used to. Moving everything to PS means a massive amount of retraining. Something which many businesses won't pay for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    The biggest question I have is why are Microsoft being silent about what's coming in Windows 8.1? Surely they'd want to announce now that the Start Menu or Desktop is properly returning. At least then admins could take it more seriously and plan deployments now. Deploying Win 8 and Win 8.1 will no doubt be exactly the same.

Thank Post
    i dont have a problem with powershell as such but i just cba learning another scripting language although i know i should

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i dont have a problem with powershell as such but i just cba learning another scripting language although i know i should
    I don't have a problem with it specificly, just the effect it has had on the GUI tools and design decisions. It is a great thing to have as an extra but they have slashed and burned the GUI to plant it, again canabilising their strengths in the hopes they can win a completely different game.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,963 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The biggest question I have is why are Microsoft being silent about what's coming in Windows 8.1?
    Because Microsoft are announcing all of the Windows 8.1 features at the BUILD developers conference at the end of June (the public preview will be released then too). There isn't any reason to say anything prior to the conference for obvious reasons.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    PS is a brilliant tool, but it shouldn't be developed at the expense of the graphical environment
    If you cram everything PowerShell can do into a GUI, you'll end up with monstrosities like these...

Last edited by Arthur; 16th May 2013 at 11:05 PM.

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

zag (17th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If you cram everything PowerShell can do into a GUI, you'll end up with monstrosities like these...
    Although 9/10 you don't need to do everything. You have a list of small jobs that can be easily done in a gui or end up several times longer with PS. I understand why they are doing it, but some routine tasks on exchange for instance are becoming a PITA.

Thank Post
    You could always see this coming with M$ about the desktop changes, it was a "New Coke" to borrow off the news articles about it, it was such a fundamentally stupid change to make I thought personally, I have met very few people at all who liked the changes with 8, even the kids in the school here don't like it at all, which is never ever a good sign, they should have gone down the apple route and had two seperate OS platforms, one for mobile platforms and one for normal PCs (as much as it pains me to actually say nice things about Apple)

What I don't get though, is that in their obvious QA/Beta Testing, did no one actually poll people and ask did they like these changes ? it seems to have been such a love it or hate it feature to leave an OS release balancing on.

That being said, I use 8 here and after the initial screaming frustrations, I am used to it now, but it took a fair few installs and a steep learning curve to allow me to actually get past the "I hate this metro sh*t" stage, but I will say, that a lot of the new features are very welcome changes, mounting of ISOs is finally integrated, but the horror of metro detracts from that and overshadows everything else with it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    What I don't get though, is that in their obvious QA/Beta Testing, did no one actually poll people and ask did they like these changes ? it seems to have been such a love it or hate it feature to leave an OS release balancing on.
    I used the beta and believe it or not, the current iteration is much better than the beta was! There was never an official poll, but the feedback from the vast majority of beta testers was that Metro sucked. It seems MS did listen to some of the feedback as they did vastly improve it to be fair to them, unfortunately it was never going to be a winner in a desktop environment, how they missed that message is beyond me - rest assured the beta testers were very vocal about that!

Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    That being said, I use 8 here and after the initial screaming frustrations, I am used to it now
    I've been using it as my main home OS for the past few months now and like you, I'm "used to it." The problem is, I don't want using an OS to be a case of just getting used to it, I want to enjoy the experience!

IMO the biggest problem with the whole Metro interface is it's treated like a completely separate OS to "legacy desktop" (shudder to say that!) and the two just do not gel well. Plus there's the fact that the majority of the Metro apps are awful, watered down versions of their desktop/web counterparts and you have yourself an irritating piece of pointless bloatware.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Every major change coming through the pipes from Microsoft seems to be more about gradually boxing the user base in and gently leading us into vendor lock-in. This is especially true with their gaming division if the rumors of the 720 turn out to hold water. I can't be the only one who thinks they've been doing nothing but chasing Apple for the better part of a decade now with nothing to show for it.

Thank Post
    An interesting way to discover some of the new features in 8.1...

Windows 8.1 developer APIs reveal: Bluetooth 4.0 support, HDR Cameras, super high-res screens, VPN support, scanner integration, magnetic card reader, barcode scanners, multiple screens for windows store apps, using any USB device from windows store apps and more.

Windows 8.1 images contain WinMD files describing their embedded Windows 8.1 developers APIs. It’s possible to get to Win 8.1’s WinMD files and then compare them to the existing Windows 8 RTM WinMD files. This entire article is based upon using Reflection to see those API differences.

Thank Post
    Coming in 8.1: Boot to Desktop, Start Button and More! WinSupersite

Boot to desktop
    In the so-called Milestone Preview (MP) version of Windows 8.1, which I know was issued internally at Microsoft about two weeks ago and could be released to the public as a “release preview,” Microsoft has added the option to boot directly to the Windows 8.x desktop.
    Start button
    ... the Start button will be enabled—on the desktop only—by default. It will look just like the Start charm in Windows 8 and be positioned in the same place as it was in Windows 7, but will of course trigger the new Start screen when clicked, and not the legacy Start menu. When you mouse into the lower left corner of the screen in any “Metro” experience, you’ll see the new Start button instead of the Windows 8 Start tip.

But here’s the trick: If you do click this button, it will remain displayed on the desktop going forward. If you don’t, and instead use a hardware Windows key, the Start button will disappear and things will work as they do in Windows 8. You can of course manually enable and disable this button as you prefer.
    Start Screen
    ... users will also be able to replace the stock Start screen with the All Apps view, where you see tile-like icons for every installed application, but no live updating functionality. Users will be able to arrange the icons by usage, allowing the most commonly used apps to be first. This view is the closest users will get to the Windows 7 Start Menu, even though it will be full-screen, instead of a list.
    Common backgrounds
    Windows 8.1 will also apparently offer the ability to set the desktop wallpaper as the Start screen background too
    Last edited by Arthur; 29th May 2013 at 08:53 PM.

14. Thanks to Arthur from:

Michael (29th May 2013)

Thank Post
    For those who really miss the Start button...

Source: Windows Experience Blog

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 783 Posts
    Blog Entries
    because the 1/2 built into keyboards as standard just isn't enough, eh?

Thank Post
    Here it is. The thing everyone has been waiting for!

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    because the 1/2 built into keyboards as standard just isn't enough, eh?
    Nope!
    Last edited by Arthur; 29th May 2013 at 07:36 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast