+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 8 Thread, Black Screen on Cold Boot in Technical; Originally Posted by SYNACK GPU, had the same kind of issue on an asus tablet till they spat out WDDM ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    GPU, had the same kind of issue on an asus tablet till they spat out WDDM 1.3 drivers for it. It could be that the card or the drivers are not snaping to quick enough as W8 uses gpu acceleration for everything metro. Can you try it with a different GPU temporarily?
    No, don't have one available

It's a standard Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti running the latest WHQL drivers from Nvidia. I'm presuming that shouldn't cause the issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    No, don't have one available

It's a standard Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti running the latest WHQL drivers from Nvidia. I'm presuming that shouldn't cause the issue.
    Unless it is very slightly dodgey, not enough to cause problems with most things but some things in computers were not made to be fully ready in as shorter time as Windows 8 can manage a boot. Can you add a delay in the bios, that may also alleviate the issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,354 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing, did you install the AI Suite crud that comes with the motherboard?
    I have had huge problems with pretty much every version of that software so now I never install it. The power management part can really mess up graphics cards when coming out of sleep for example too resulting in the card not initialising.
    Also try turning fast boot settings off in the bios as well as removing all usb devices besides essentials in case one of them is the cause.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I have had huge problems with pretty much every version of that software so now I never install it. The power management part can really mess up graphics cards when coming out of sleep for example too resulting in the card not initialising.
    Also try turning fast boot settings off in the bios as well as removing all usb devices besides essentials in case one of them is the cause.
    Actually having this issue with a dell 9010 we recently ordered, will try your suggestion now - thanks!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Noooo... I stay miles away from AI Suite! Never ever needed it! I'll have a look at the fast boot options when I get home. As for USB devices, all I have plugged in is:

Microsoft Wireless Receiver for Keyboard and Mouse
    Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

That's pretty much it!

Thank Post
    I had a similar issue with my Home PC when I built it a year ago. Cold boot would black screen, but subsequent reboots were fine.
    Turned out the PSU was iffy, because as soon as I swapped from the 850W down to a 750W spare it worked perfectly.

Do you have another PSU you can test with it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You trying this without any additional hardware plugged in to the machine?

**EDIT**Oops, didnt see the last page on this thread, ignore what i said.

Unless of course its a device plugged inside the machine (graphics adapter, wireless pci card etc)
    Last edited by Tesla; 10th February 2014 at 03:20 PM.

Thank Post
    I had a PC that did this exact thing for 5 years! I just left it in sleep. Always would post but nothing would happen had to force reset and it was fine. I think it was a RAM issue. Same ram in both slots? or have you got some OCZ ram that needs overclocking to get the rated speed. (so the SPD data isn't quite right)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    I had a PC that did this exact thing for 5 years! I just left it in sleep. Always would post but nothing would happen had to force reset and it was fine. I think it was a RAM issue. Same ram in both slots? or have you got some OCZ ram that needs overclocking to get the rated speed. (so the SPD data isn't quite right)
    I've got the following RAM in my rig:

GeIL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz VALUE PLUS Dual Channel (GVP38GB1600C9DC)

It's running at stock, haven't forayed in to overclocking as yet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12