+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Return to start menu? in Technical; http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-wind...op-7000014075/...
    Thank Post

Return to start menu?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    The Start Menu ain't coming back!

If Microsoft did add a Start button to the taskbar, it will probably just be used to open the Start Screen.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    The point is Microsoft's Windows 8 isn't selling very well at all. This is due to a combination of high tablet prices compared to cheaper netbook prices, plus the fact most users (in my experience) do not like the substantial changes to the user interface.

I really don't see why Microsoft don't just re-enable the Start Menu and Boot to Desktop as options to users and allow admins to enable/disable these features via GPO. You then cater for both worlds for users who like the changes and others who don't. Everyone can then enjoy the most optimised and secure version of Windows to date. Simples!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The point is Microsoft's Windows 8 isn't selling very well at all. This is due to a combination of high tablet prices compared to cheaper netbook prices, plus the fact most users (in my experience) do not like the substantial changes to the user interface.

I really don't see why Microsoft don't just re-enable the Start Menu and Boot to Desktop as options to users and allow admins to enable/disable these features via GPO. You then cater for both worlds for users who like the changes and others who don't. Everyone can then enjoy the most optimised and secure version of Windows to date. Simples!
    This.

The cosmetic changes are intrusive at best and counter intuitive at worst.

Adding an option to have a simpler desktop would increase sales. Surely that's the objective?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Hoo-blooming-rah!

It will take off in enterprise if it doesn't need a touch device to work so yes bring it back!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why they don't provide as many options as possible, I do not know. Why remove the start menu entirely? Why remove the start button entirely? Why make it so you must boot to Metro?

Why not simply let the end user set their working environment up how they want it? And then allow network admins do so too, via GPO.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Why they don't provide as many options as possible, I do not know. Why remove the start menu entirely? Why remove the start button entirely? Why make it so you must boot to Metro?

Why not simply let the end user set their working environment up how they want it? And then allow network admins do so too, via GPO.
    This is what happens when a marketing department gets too much power in an organisation because their crystal ball said that tablets were the only future or at least that's what it said in the magazines they read. I'm sure the developers wanted it but the marketing goal of the company was different. Hopefully they have realised what a rubbish idea that was now.

Thank Post
    i do see what they are trying to do but why did they not do this >

startmenu.png
    Just swipe left of right to view more apps etc and then maybe add a small white arrow for next page for mouse pointers etc
    Copyright Squeeky (Before microsoft steals my ideas :P)
    Last edited by squeeky; 17th April 2013 at 02:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Why remove the start menu entirely? Why remove the start button entirely? Why make it so you must boot to Metro?
    Would you want to use a Windows 7-style Start Menu on a 4K LCD (3840×2160) in a few years time?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeky View Post
    i do see what they are trying to do but why did they not do this >

startmenu.png
    Just swipe left of right to view more apps etc and then maybe add a small white arrow for next page for mouse pointers etc
    Copyright Squeeky (Before microsoft steals my ideas :P)
    I know it's not a patent but I call prior art:

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    ... If it was possible to set the new screen to a desktop mode where the start screen came up scaled down and transparent where the current start menu currently does it would be much better as it would not break your workflow. Also the using the metro apps in combination with desktop apps on large screens in combination with desktop apps will drop you out of the desktop context. Another solution sugested to this was windowing metro apps in desktop mode.

This reasonably simple switch would allow you to keep your flow of work/context while working with multiple things on a desktop without wasting your time constantly filling your whole screen with stuff.

Oh and sensible progression

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Would you want to use a Windows 7-style Start Menu on a 4K LCD (3840×2160) in a few years time?

Huh? LCD monitor technology has gone backwards in the last few years, with everyone obsessing over 1080p, so I'm not going to hold my breath over 4K screens on PCs just yet.

However, why would having a high resolution screen mean having a low quality menu?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts

Microsoft got it right with Windows XP. They had the new Start Menu, but you could always return to the Classic Start Menu.

I think you've answered your own question really "in a few years time". Microsoft needs to cater for users today using 1080p resolutions, but also for the needs of users in future. The best of both makes a lot more sense and surely Microsoft must be looking at the number of users who have installed third party apps just to restore the Start Menu.

The learning curve is far too great and it is very much a marmite OS. I think Windows 8.1 will determine if Microsoft have actually listened to their customers, or risk users looking at other platforms. Why does it matter to Microsoft so much if one user chooses to use Metro and another user chooses to use the Start Menu. They've still sold a license and it allows end users to personalise their computing environment, rather than have this environment forced in a set layout.

On these very forums I remember writing that the boot to Metro wouldn't pay off and clearly myself and other IT Pros were right about that!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Huh? LCD monitor technology has gone backwards in the last few years, with everyone obsessing over 1080p, so I'm not going to hold my breath over 4K screens on PCs just yet.
    I've never got this... A lot of video cards have HDMI output now, just use a TV. [This is what I'm going to do with my next desktop when/if I get one.]

You also have the option of a cheap DVI-to-HDMI adapter or, if you have the connection, just connecting the VGA.
    Last edited by X-13; 19th April 2013 at 10:07 AM.

Thank Post
    I am using Windows 8 & I have used a third party app to get the start menu back & it logs in to the Desktop. Similar to using Windows 7, but with the option to use the start screen if you want.
    Classic Start Menu is free as well.
    This was the only reason I would consider using Windows 8. The new start screen is OK for tablets, but no good for Desktops.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Start Menu ain't coming back!

If Microsoft did add a Start button to the taskbar, it will probably just be used to open the Start Screen.
    Hmm looks like you might be right: Windows 8.1 set to bring back the Start button | The Verge

I really can't get my head around MS thinking with the start menu, just have the start button and boot to desktop as a configurable options. You want them, turn them on, you don't turn it off. Simple.
    I really believe that this simple change would boost Win 8 sales (especially in enterprise market) as Win 8 is actually a decent OS under the UI debacle.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast