+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 Tablets (Upgrading to Enterprise) in Technical; I assume that an atom tablet running Windows 8 32bit can be upgraded to Enterprise 32bit? Not sure on the ...
    Thank Post

Windows 8 Tablets (Upgrading to Enterprise)

I assume that an atom tablet running Windows 8 32bit can be upgraded to Enterprise 32bit? Not sure on the limitations with Atoms and 2gb RAM etc....

ASUS VivoTab Smart ME400C-1B043W

Wanted to run SIMS on it. (urgh)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Technically I suppose there's no reason why it shouldn't work but it'll probably be as slow as molasses.

Thank Post
    I'll probably be able to tell you in a few days time...

Thank Post
    you cant direct upgrade to enterprise youd have to go via pro so im told but i havnt tried it on mine as its mine not works lol. Last checked you couldnt change boot device either but there have been a few bios patches since then

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    Technically I suppose there's no reason why it shouldn't work but it'll probably be as slow as molasses.
    It's fine, even with the older slower chips like that in the Acer 501.

Thank Post
    I just upgraded a old dell duo (laptop tablet convertable) with an atom and 2gb RAM (it was running windows 7 home) I did a fresh install of enterprise 32bit (64bit refused) and it runs better than 7, looks pretty slick too. I had trouble finding the stmicrodrivers (3axis stuff) and software otherwise pretty good.

Windows 8 makes way more sense on a touch screen laptop. Oh and KMS activated it without any issues. (unlike my windows 8 home laptops.)

Just curious about these BIOS keys and tablets...

Thank Post
    I've been working on deploying 32 atom windows 8 tablets over the past 2 weeks. Upgrading using the Windows DVD works fine, even clean installs work but you will need a USB hub with keyboard and mouse. The keyboard dock and touchscreen drivers aren't included in Windows PE for Acer W510 by default at least. I know some touchscreen drivers are included since my W700 is fine. UEFI has been my biggest issue, particularly with WDS deployment. Microsoft say 32bit deployment isn't supported with UEFI, they lie. The files are on the Windows DVD and can be copied.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BHMS View Post
    The keyboard dock and touchscreen drivers aren't included in Windows PE for Acer W510 by default at least
    Any other problems/caveats with this? Just got one and was hoping to put W8 ENT on it.

@chazzy2501 I'm currently running W8 ENT on an Advent 4211 (1.60Ghz processor w. 2GB of RAM) and it's generally OK. IE hangs/restarts a fair bit, but I do have quite a few tabs open at any one time and my current RSS ticker (Snackr) is a huge resource hog (anyone got a less resource-heavy but equally attractive equivalent?).

Not installed SIMS as I rarely need it, and when I do it's easier to remote in to a server.

Thank Post
    ie10 runs perfectly, all the apps do.. (not in school as they don't use the proxy.pac file and have no internet) Actually it's SIMS that runs super slow but as it's not supported in Windows 8 yet,so I'll wait on judgement. The laptop only has an N550 Atom but IE runs slick!

I only puts sims on the device to see if it would work over DA... it does.

Thank Post
    I haven't had any issues with them. Sure they don't have a lot of computing power but there is enough RAM, on desktop I'm only using 600mb with Impero and Anti-virus running in background. 1400mb free should be plenty for the kind of programs it is going to run. The eMMC drive helps speed things along but I wouldn't call app launches amazingly fast. More than adequate though. Cold boots to login in <10s most of the time and the battery lasts forever. Took me about 2 and a half days working on one to drain the battery of the tablet and the dock together.

Thank Post
    I just got in a small set of ASUS VivoTab's with docks (the regular, not the RT version) with Win 8 home. I upgraded to Win8 Enterprise with no issues; however, it had to do a fresh install and I lost all of the drivers in that process. Thank goodness the USB ports still worked, because the touch screen, keyboard, touch pad, wireless ... nothing else worked. I plugged in an external keyboard and mouse.

ASUS doesn't offer their VivoTab drivers via download, so I used another tablet (not yet upgraded to Enterprise), and a downloaded application called DoubleDriver to send the drivers from that tablet to a flash drive. Then, I used the same application to install the drivers on the Enterprise tablet from the flash drive.

All of the basics work now, but I notice that the top row of shortcut keys (volume control, etc.) still isn't working. If anyone has ideas for restoring these, please let me know.

I do plan to upgrade another tablet to Win 8 Pro and to compare the two.

The VivoTab seems like a really nice tablet, by the way!

Thank Post
    how on earth did you fresh install one?

as to getting keys working not sure but try installing liveupdate might download what your missing

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread