+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, All in one desktops to replace iMacs in Technical; We purchased a load of iMac's a few years ago. At first they were used as iMac's but now we ...

Thank Post

All in one desktops to replace iMacs

We purchased a load of iMac's a few years ago. At first they were used as iMac's but now we have had a new head of ICT and the basically the iMacs are now used as Windows machines. Their 3 year carepacks are nearly at their expiry date and our budgets have been cut.
    We are looking at alternatives for when we have to replace them. One suggestion was all in one pc's.
    Please could anyone share their experiences with windows all in pcs' and if they have any specific model they would recommend?

Thank Post
    Hi Scholes99,

One of my colleges has started using the HP Pro All-in-One 3520. Not sure on your budget but these are really good machines.

Luke

Thank Post
    Hi

We used Novatech's all in ones, because we could custom spec them, including monitor and they take standard parts - including a standard vesa mount for the screen, so we can change just the screen, or just the base unit but still benefit from the all in one space saving.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scholes99 View Post
    Please could anyone share their experiences with windows all in pcs' and if they have any specific model they would recommend?
    I'm just about to buy some more VeryPC Flex PCs - compact all-in-ones that are basically a small form factor PC with a monitor mount on the side. These have the advantage that they're cheaper than your average all-in-one and that you can replace / upgrade parts, including the motherboard, from off-the-shelf parts. We already have a bunch of VESA-mountable flat screens around, so these have been proving a good value option as you can buy them without a screen and simply use your own. Support has been good, with a solution being found for an issue we had with a graphics driver. I think they might even have a special offer on at the moment for an extended warrenty, which might be just the kind of thing you're looking for.

The whole point of VeryPC's own-build hardware is that it's energy efficient, although I can't quite see how that counts for these machines - the cases seem to be standard Chinese-made ones with some modifications. There's possibly some modifications made to BIOS on the machine, but I'm not sure - something worth checking with them, maybe.

Thank Post
    Stone do a good one, I've just ordered 40 and they come with a 5 year NBD warranty as standard.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm a fan of the Viglen Integra. We bought a load of them at my last place. Pretty solid machines.

Here, we have a bunch of HP Compaq 8200 Elite AIO machines. I believe they've been replaced by the 8300 or something now though. They're pretty good too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I'm just about to buy some more VeryPC Flex PCs - compact all-in-ones that are basically a small form factor PC with a monitor mount on the side. These have the advantage that they're cheaper than your average all-in-one and that you can replace / upgrade parts, including the motherboard, from off-the-shelf parts. We already have a bunch of VESA-mountable flat screens around, so these have been proving a good value option as you can buy them without a screen and simply use your own. Support has been good, with a solution being found for an issue we had with a graphics driver. I think they might even have a special offer on at the moment for an extended warrenty, which might be just the kind of thing you're looking for.

The whole point of VeryPC's own-build hardware is that it's energy efficient, although I can't quite see how that counts for these machines - the cases seem to be standard Chinese-made ones with some modifications. There's possibly some modifications made to BIOS on the machine, but I'm not sure - something worth checking with them, maybe.
    Pretty sure they are the very same ones as the novatech - in terms of case anyways!

Thank Post
    I'd also look at upgrading the iMacs, at least memory wise which is utterly simple. They're still perfectly capable machines at three years old.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We currently deploy Dell Optiplex 7010 USSF with the PC on the back on the monitor stand. Its not all in one as such but is very close to it.

@3s-gtech they might only have kit in action that is under warranty. This is the path we are going down. iMacs can't have more than 3 years cover.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 6th March 2013 at 10:45 AM.

Thank Post
    Didn't realise that was the way it'sgoing - certainly isn't round these parts (ooh arr). On the plus side, they'll make good money if you flog them!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Lenovo ones are brilliant and shiney

Thank Post
    The iMacs could easily go for another 3 years!

Personally I am not a fan of brands such as novatech as they tend to die quite quickly. I am much more a fan of the Dell with 3 year onsite warranty. All about the total cost of ownership .

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsonga View Post

Personally I am not a fan of brands such as novatech as they tend to die quite quickly. I am much more a fan of the Dell with 3 year onsite warranty. All about the total cost of ownership .
    If i am honest I have to completely disagree with that comment - depending on what you buy with those companies they tend to be just as good if not better! My old stones have 5 year on site warranty for less than dells!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

As someone who has used Viglen all in one machines, which are now in their 6th year of use, I'd disagree entirely...

Thank Post

got a 5 year warranty, no worries!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast