+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, What's so great about Windows 8? in Technical; Okay, so I've just installed Windows 8 and Office 2013. First impressions are "wow, that's ugly" but I'll get used ...
    Thank Post

What's so great about Windows 8?

Okay, so I've just installed Windows 8 and Office 2013. First impressions are "wow, that's ugly" but I'll get used to that I'm sure. I guess the question now is, what are the great things in Windows 8 which will make me want to deploy this across the rest of our site (and should I even bother considering that before we have Server 2012?)?

Let's keep this thread to Windows 8, I've started another one for Office 2013...
    Last edited by enjay; 14th February 2013 at 09:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Better self repair, faster logon and startup, more secure network file transfer. Less memory usage and lower resource usage - about 2 degrees C on average with a Acer w501P. Less service packs/fixes, integrated AV, better UI for file operations - pause individual network file transfers in progress.

Thank Post
    What @SYNACK said, plus it was available at launch at much lower prices than W7.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If we could have everything @SYNACK just said, but in a Windows 7 shell (no hacks), i'd be happy!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I agree with Little-Miss. If you remove Metro, Windows 8 is pretty much an updated/optimised Windows 7. Maybe in Win 8 SP1 they'll allow admins to switch Metro off via GPO once they've realised practically no-one's deploying it in business or education!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I agree with Little-Miss. If you remove Metro, Windows 8 is pretty much an updated/optimised Windows 7. Maybe in Win 8 SP1 they'll allow admins to switch Metro off via GPO once they've realised practically no-one's deploying it in business or education!
    The one day I open the blind on our sun facing window and whats the first thing I see...a formation of pigs flying!

7. 2 Thanks to jamesfed:

free780 (23rd February 2013), Jamo (22nd February 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    The one day I open the blind on our sun facing window and whats the first thing I see...a formation of pigs flying!
    Well I suspect some MS people must read these forums! Microsoft did eventually admit Vista was pretty bad, but admittedly it took quite a bit of time.

I would like to hear Microsoft's official position on why they think Metro is suited for desktop and notebook users, when it's blatantly obvious it was designed for a touch screen interface. They obviously know that the majority of devices out there are not currently touchscreen, so why force everyone to use it? It seems a really odd decision in my opinion and one I am sure many Beta testers must have pointed out.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think that may have to wait till 9, Balmer has taken the 'all or nothing', 'our way or the highway' lead from his country and is just forging ahead while completely disregarding what anyone else is saying. Going slightly off topic, Office 2013 licencing ties it to a single machine forever, not cool.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Im using it now.

I do like the British English language.
    It images quicker than Windows 7 (with SCCM anyway)
    I like Metro
    Performance seems better.

Server 2012 has lots of new things I like

Thank Post
    I would like to hear Microsoft's official position on why they think Metro is suited for desktop and notebook users, when it's blatantly obvious it was designed for a touch screen interface. They obviously know that the majority of devices out there are not currently touchscreen, so why force everyone to use it? It seems a really odd decision in my opinion and one I am sure many Beta testers must have pointed out.
    In all honesty I've been using Win 8 on both my desktop and notebook PC (neither with a touch screen) for quite some time now with no issues - more often than not I press the start button on my PC at work expecting the start screen only to get the piddly little start menu appear.

Anyhow a discussion for another thread!

Thank Post
    @SYNACK - I was unaware of that for Office 2013. Is that the case for volume license users also? What happens when you upgrade all your workstations?

I think I'll just wait for Windows 9 and by the sounds of things it won't be too far away if Microsoft adopt a 12 month release schedule.

Back on topic though there are some advantages to Win 8, but I think there are more disadvantages. For example training of staff, software compatibility and hardware compatibility too. Various users have said Win 8 doesn't play well with netbooks' lower resolutions by default.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    It seems a really odd decision in my opinion and one I am sure many Beta testers must have pointed out.
    We did, repeatedly. No notice was taken. This is why I'm sure rather than Metro going away, the traditional desktop will. Windows 9 may well be completely Metro. they're already calling any program not designed for Metro "legacy applications." The future does not look good for Windows [unless of course you want Metro]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @SYNACK - I was unaware of that for Office 2013. Is that the case for volume license users also? What happens when you upgrade all your workstations?

I think I'll just wait for Windows 9 and by the sounds of things it won't be too far away if Microsoft adopt a 12 month release schedule.

Back on topic though there are some advantages to Win 8, but I think there are more disadvantages. For example training of staff, software compatibility and hardware compatibility too. Various users have said Win 8 doesn't play well with netbooks' lower resolutions by default.
    Just retail I think:
    Does your copy of Office 2013 die with your computer?
    Retail copies of Office 2013 are tied to a single computer forever | Geek Pick | Geek.com

8 is good for touchscreens and alright with a bit of adjustment for other platforms but I do think they can do better, it is just rubbish for manageability WRT metro.

Thank Post
    It talks about Retail and OEM, so hopefully as you say, this should exclude Volume license agreements. I still think Microsoft are approaching it the wrong way. They should sell more 'family' editions to be installed on up to 5 computers. I've even heard it on the radio that Office 365 itself is for up to 5 users on any device. This makes a lot more sense.

As for managing Metro via GPO, I've not had the pleasure as yet. It's probably just as bad as being unable to manage Libraries introduce with Win 7. There are some good GPOs but still lacking some really good GPOs.
    Last edited by Michael; 14th February 2013 at 10:37 AM.

Thank Post
    They should sell more 'family' editions to be installed on up to 5 computers. I've even heard it on the radio that Office 365 itself is for up to 5 users on any device. This makes a lot more sense.
    I think that is the only sensible way to manage access to online services - I use 4 different personal devices (plus my office computer), and I'm sure there are plenty of people with more than that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast