+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
Windows 8 Thread, What's so great about Windows 8? in Technical; Okay, so I've just installed Windows 8 and Office 2013. First impressions are "wow, that's ugly" but I'll get used ...
  1. #1
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    75

    What's so great about Windows 8?

    Okay, so I've just installed Windows 8 and Office 2013. First impressions are "wow, that's ugly" but I'll get used to that I'm sure. I guess the question now is, what are the great things in Windows 8 which will make me want to deploy this across the rest of our site (and should I even bother considering that before we have Server 2012?)?

    Let's keep this thread to Windows 8, I've started another one for Office 2013...
    Last edited by enjay; 14th February 2013 at 09:15 AM.

  2. #2

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,172
    Thank Post
    868
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    772
    Better self repair, faster logon and startup, more secure network file transfer. Less memory usage and lower resource usage - about 2 degrees C on average with a Acer w501P. Less service packs/fixes, integrated AV, better UI for file operations - pause individual network file transfers in progress.

  3. #3

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,178
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 332 Times in 236 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    What @SYNACK said, plus it was available at launch at much lower prices than W7.

  4. #4

    Little-Miss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,547
    Thank Post
    2,377
    Thanked 750 Times in 459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    543
    If we could have everything @SYNACK just said, but in a Windows 7 shell (no hacks), i'd be happy!

  5. #5

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    I agree with Little-Miss. If you remove Metro, Windows 8 is pretty much an updated/optimised Windows 7. Maybe in Win 8 SP1 they'll allow admins to switch Metro off via GPO once they've realised practically no-one's deploying it in business or education!

  6. #6
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 342 Times in 289 Posts
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I agree with Little-Miss. If you remove Metro, Windows 8 is pretty much an updated/optimised Windows 7. Maybe in Win 8 SP1 they'll allow admins to switch Metro off via GPO once they've realised practically no-one's deploying it in business or education!
    The one day I open the blind on our sun facing window and whats the first thing I see...a formation of pigs flying!

  7. 2 Thanks to jamesfed:

    free780 (23rd February 2013), Jamo (22nd February 2013)

  8. #7

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    The one day I open the blind on our sun facing window and whats the first thing I see...a formation of pigs flying!
    Well I suspect some MS people must read these forums! Microsoft did eventually admit Vista was pretty bad, but admittedly it took quite a bit of time.

    I would like to hear Microsoft's official position on why they think Metro is suited for desktop and notebook users, when it's blatantly obvious it was designed for a touch screen interface. They obviously know that the majority of devices out there are not currently touchscreen, so why force everyone to use it? It seems a really odd decision in my opinion and one I am sure many Beta testers must have pointed out.

  9. #8

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,172
    Thank Post
    868
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    772
    I think that may have to wait till 9, Balmer has taken the 'all or nothing', 'our way or the highway' lead from his country and is just forging ahead while completely disregarding what anyone else is saying. Going slightly off topic, Office 2013 licencing ties it to a single machine forever, not cool.

  10. #9

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,952
    Thank Post
    886
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    448
    Im using it now.

    I do like the British English language.
    It images quicker than Windows 7 (with SCCM anyway)
    I like Metro
    Performance seems better.

    Server 2012 has lots of new things I like

  11. #10
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 342 Times in 289 Posts
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I would like to hear Microsoft's official position on why they think Metro is suited for desktop and notebook users, when it's blatantly obvious it was designed for a touch screen interface. They obviously know that the majority of devices out there are not currently touchscreen, so why force everyone to use it? It seems a really odd decision in my opinion and one I am sure many Beta testers must have pointed out.
    In all honesty I've been using Win 8 on both my desktop and notebook PC (neither with a touch screen) for quite some time now with no issues - more often than not I press the start button on my PC at work expecting the start screen only to get the piddly little start menu appear.

    Anyhow a discussion for another thread!

  12. #11

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    @SYNACK - I was unaware of that for Office 2013. Is that the case for volume license users also? What happens when you upgrade all your workstations?

    I think I'll just wait for Windows 9 and by the sounds of things it won't be too far away if Microsoft adopt a 12 month release schedule.

    Back on topic though there are some advantages to Win 8, but I think there are more disadvantages. For example training of staff, software compatibility and hardware compatibility too. Various users have said Win 8 doesn't play well with netbooks' lower resolutions by default.

  13. #12

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,452
    Thank Post
    1,439
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It seems a really odd decision in my opinion and one I am sure many Beta testers must have pointed out.
    We did, repeatedly. No notice was taken. This is why I'm sure rather than Metro going away, the traditional desktop will. Windows 9 may well be completely Metro. they're already calling any program not designed for Metro "legacy applications." The future does not look good for Windows [unless of course you want Metro]

  14. #13

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,172
    Thank Post
    868
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    @SYNACK - I was unaware of that for Office 2013. Is that the case for volume license users also? What happens when you upgrade all your workstations?

    I think I'll just wait for Windows 9 and by the sounds of things it won't be too far away if Microsoft adopt a 12 month release schedule.

    Back on topic though there are some advantages to Win 8, but I think there are more disadvantages. For example training of staff, software compatibility and hardware compatibility too. Various users have said Win 8 doesn't play well with netbooks' lower resolutions by default.
    Just retail I think:
    Does your copy of Office 2013 die with your computer?
    Retail copies of Office 2013 are tied to a single computer forever | Geek Pick | Geek.com

    8 is good for touchscreens and alright with a bit of adjustment for other platforms but I do think they can do better, it is just rubbish for manageability WRT metro.

  15. #14

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    It talks about Retail and OEM, so hopefully as you say, this should exclude Volume license agreements. I still think Microsoft are approaching it the wrong way. They should sell more 'family' editions to be installed on up to 5 computers. I've even heard it on the radio that Office 365 itself is for up to 5 users on any device. This makes a lot more sense.

    As for managing Metro via GPO, I've not had the pleasure as yet. It's probably just as bad as being unable to manage Libraries introduce with Win 7. There are some good GPOs but still lacking some really good GPOs.
    Last edited by Michael; 14th February 2013 at 10:37 AM.

  16. #15
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    They should sell more 'family' editions to be installed on up to 5 computers. I've even heard it on the radio that Office 365 itself is for up to 5 users on any device. This makes a lot more sense.
    I think that is the only sensible way to manage access to online services - I use 4 different personal devices (plus my office computer), and I'm sure there are plenty of people with more than that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FREE TRAINING: So what is LGfL all about...
    By psydii in forum London Grid for Learning (LGfL)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th January 2012, 08:47 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15th November 2011, 08:29 PM
  3. what is so good about vista
    By callumtuckey in forum General Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 24th December 2006, 12:42 PM
  4. What's so good about Macs anyway?
    By ITWombat in forum Mac
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 27th August 2006, 10:01 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •