+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Windows 8 Thread, Anyone deploying Windows 8 now? in Technical; Originally Posted by robjduk I think its because it takes about a week for the bones in your hand to ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    I think its because it takes about a week for the bones in your hand to bend enough to compensate the need for the windows key
    wonder when we will see a windows key on mice?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    I agree the core OS is quick and stable but I am finding the UI anything but easy to use and quick. After over 6months have I rolled back to windows 7. I dont know why people expect haters to like it after a week.

Almost everyone I have met in person who has win 8 dislikes the UI and our users on win8 keep asking to be changed back. I really dislike the new start screen as I find it far less efficient. But the core OS is nice.
    Throw start 8 on it and it's perfectly. It has GPO support as well. I really want to deploy it here....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    wonder when we will see a windows key on mice?
    Microsoft are WAY ahead of you

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can anyone point me in the direction of documentation of equivalent depth and quality to the Windows Resource Kits for 8 (or 8.1)

Thank Post
    Hi Guys and girls

My first post here.
    Im in the process of pushing out 2000 pcs. Windows 8.1 HP Revolve on 2012 servers with 2012 R2 policy definitions.
    Exactly the policy issue has been quite a challenge as we are still keeping around 2200 Windows 7 clients that has to keep functioning as they did.
    Users should be able 2 use both platforms and access the same printers and shares from both.
    Windows 7 and Windows 8 policies dont mix very well, so clearly we had to start over with a new OU structure for the 2000 new HP Revolve clients. Having win8 clients in the same structure as our Windows 7 clients rendered the win 8 lost in Metro with no tiles, no desktop, no control panel, no nothing. Utterly useless.F
    or most part "user policies" held all these restrictions on the Win 8 clients,which was a mountain to climb.C
    hanging user policies was not an option, so Loopback processing mode had to be applied and one-by-one examining policies step by step, for possible candidates for the win 8 lockdown.
    Yesterday weve delivered the first 500 new clients(ended up with win8.1), mostly for teachers and except for minor wishes of loosening the grip a bit, policywise.
    Weve had no complaints, we havent even had a phonecall about those clients today. My log files tell me, that they use them heavily.I
    m a bit stumped, I thought Win 8 would drive them crazy. Ahhh, well, its still early, but looking good so far.
    Ive had a problem though with a certain searchocr.admx file, that ruins the group policy manager on the server.
    The corrupt admx files are supposedly in all isos for win8 and server 2012 and 2012R2??? MS has no fix???
    Maybe someone has run in to the same issue and solved it.
    I need at least one of the settings in the R2 policy definitions, to control the new clients, so rolling back to the regular server 2012 definitions isnt an option either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Corydon View Post
    Having win 8 clients in the same structure as our Windows 7 clients rendered the win 8 lost in Metro with no tiles, no desktop, no control panel, no nothing.
    Are you using roaming profiles?

Roaming Profile Compatibility: The Windows 7 to Windows 8 Challenge Ask the Directory Services Team

Thank Post
    No we dont, but we have folder redirection on 3 folders. Desktop, Favorites, and Documents, so it sort of smells like it.

Thank Post
    The reason for the useless stuck win8, was the very strict policies we have on existing pcs and users.
    They are very locked down.
    Keeps the workload down.
    The new clients, will be more personal pcs, they will bring them home and as such they have to function in a very different way, than our existing locked down clients. (Adding device drivers, printers, internet connections, changing wallpaper etc.)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567