+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Anyone deploying Windows 8 now? in Technical; Yes mate, click F12 to get to developer options and then click document mode and change accordingly to whichever browser ...

Thank Post
    Yes mate, click F12 to get to developer options and then click document mode and change accordingly to whichever browser like IE8. Just make sure you don't exit out of developer tools and click the minimize instead to see full screen.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It is somewhat daft Microsoft have given practically no GPOs to manage Metro or being able to re-enable the Start Menu.

I believe Microsoft need to look at my formula:

Lots of GPO goodness = happy admins = lots more Win 8 deployments

Instead we keep seeing articles about how many licenses sold. Does anyone really care Microsoft?
    This is a big problem for me too.

I am being forced down the W8 route by my very keen vice-principal. However, to roll it out and support it properly I will need to upgrade SCCM to 2012 SP1 and I just can't seem to find the time to do it amongst the myriad of other refreshes we have going on at the moment.

Ideally I would like to look at it next year, but I suspect I won't be given that luxury.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    This is a big problem for me too.

I am being forced down the W8 route by my very keen vice-principal. However, to roll it out and support it properly I will need to upgrade SCCM to 2012 SP1 and I just can't seem to find the time to do it amongst the myriad of other refreshes we have going on at the moment.

Ideally I would like to look at it next year, but I suspect I won't be given that luxury.
    Its pointless upgrading to windows 8 until the next "blue" edition comes out. Hopefully they will allow people to boot to desktop then.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Its pointless upgrading to windows 8 until the next "blue" edition comes out. Hopefully they will allow people to boot to desktop then.
    I agree, but it's difficult arguing with your boss when they're determined they want it.

I've pointed out all the pitfalls and they've gone ahead and ordered an Acer slate anyway. Best thing is to let them play with it them and find the problems themselves.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    I agree, but it's difficult arguing with your boss when they're determined they want it.

I've pointed out all the pitfalls and they've gone ahead and ordered an Acer slate anyway. Best thing is to let them play with it them and find the problems themselves.
    If it's for a slate 8 owns 7 every day of the week and two more I have made up just for this example. For demoing and experimenting it is fine but just not manageable however testing it all out now means you aren't 5 years behind when they do ship something you want to use like xp to 7 migrations now where its a big jump not a gentle stroll.

Thank Post
    No - Windows 8 offers us nothing but problems. Windows 7 is the upgrade path and then we will wait and see. Windows 8 works fine in a tablet environment and (at a push) on a touchscreen environment but is awful in a working environment.

I think MS have forgotten that people massively adopted XP in the business world because it did what it was supposed to do - i.e provide users with a simple, standardised way of accessing the applications they used. Most people couldn't give a toss how snazzy the icons appear - when you spend all day in Oracle/SAP etc!

I can see why MS want to bring a tablet/phone OS into the market, but why can they have 2 versions - one for mobile devices and a desktop version?

7. Thanks to Sheridan from:

zag (14th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I think Microsoft are literally trying to make a 'one size fits all', whereas Apple use iOS on their phones and tablets, but then OSX on notebooks and PCs. I think Apple have done the better job platform by platform.

Granted technologies can merge between devices, but it doesn't mean they have to look exactly the same Microsoft! As it is 'apps' are written for the smaller screen, exactly for this reason.

9. Thanks to Michael from:

Davit2005 (29th May 2013)

Thank Post
    I'm finding that I have to deploy it now as we've just managed to get some HP laptops that are bios locked (secure boot and no obvious way to disable) to windows 8. This means I have had to update my WDS server to 2012, which is quite pleasant really, and get to grips with uefi deployment, which is not so pleasant.

Has anybody managed to get an MDT2012 Litetouch image to uefi boot on a machine with secure boot?

Thank Post
    Don't think we'll be deploying Windows 8 at our school anytime soon, both the staff and students are too used to working with the ordinary Windows desktop environment, and will not like all the changes that comes with Windows 8.

We do however have 1 member of staff who's running Windows 8 on his new laptop, and loves using it. So maybe once a new service pack or Windows 9 is released we can look into possibly upgrading...
    Last edited by Jordyboy; 20th May 2013 at 07:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi all,

We're running Windows 8 in a couple of guises here. We recently supplied all our staff with Windows 8 on a new Dell XPS-12 Convertible Ultrabook. The rollout (80 machines) is just about complete and the reaction has been very positive. The only complaints were caused by Dells drivers (which they've fixed).

We've also got a BYOD program running some our senior grades. A surprising number of those students have Windows 8 laptops, they seem to be getting on okay with them, and they tend to work, although we have seen a common bit of weirdness with Win 8 connecting to our wireless, it sometimes fails on the first try, then the second try works.

Finally, I just placed an order for 140 Hp Envy x2's to kick off our new 1:1 program in our lowest grade. In about 8 weeks we'll have this whole grade using these Win8 hybrid tablets.

There's a lot to work out around all this, and I have to say we're doing well given some of the issues we've had (not least of all our crap staffing). But getting back to Windows 8, we're finding that the OS is solid, it really just needs a few quirks ironing out (as did 7 when we adopted that early on). All the noise the tech-press are making trying to pretend 8 is a disaster is wrong if you use it on a device it was made for.

L8r.

13. Thanks to Speculator from:

RabbieBurns (22nd May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    @witch you will be waiting a long time. Microsoft is doing away with Service Packs. If ones come for Windows 8 it will be many years down the line.
    Maybe like 8.1 "Blue" perhaps?

Thank Post
    I know the feeling. We are rolling out Windows 8 and Office 2013 this August to several of our computer labs. We teach computer courses and the selected textbooks are written for Office 2013 and Windows 8, so my boss said that we are going to it. Win 8 is not that bad when you install a 3rd party start menu app that bypasses Metro.

The one thing that I don't like is that the default metro apps (Weather, Sports, Games, etc...) are provisioned per user and not for everyone that logs on to the PC. This means that if person A logs on and updates the Metro apps, and person B logs on, person A has the latest versions of the apps and person B has the older versions until he or she updates them manually. And, if you try to update the Metro apps in the reference image and run Sysprep, then Sysprep fails! I'd just turn them off if we could, but the textbooks have activities for students using these default apps, so we need them. And, each student logs into the PC with a domain account, so it is a ring of setbacks. Plus, Metro apps are updated through the Windows Store and not through Windows Update, so the whole thing is a mess.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr6figures View Post
    Metro apps are updated through the Windows Store and not through Windows Update, so the whole thing is a mess.
    Windows Update is for updates.

Btw, Android apps are updated through Google Play (and similar app stores), iOS apps are updated through the iTunes Store, OS X apps can be updated through the Mac App Store, Windows Phone apps are updated through the Windows Phone Store, BlackBerry apps are updated through Blackberry World, Firefox OS apps are updated through the Firefox Marketplace etc. etc. Even Ubuntu has an app store - the Ubuntu Software Center.

Thank Post
    From what I'm reading Blue/8.1 will be good for your existing hardware (desktops and non-touch laptops). It's basically an apology to enterprises who have and will continue to have loads of these machines. I'm happy about that, as I think 8 is broken for those machines.
    I can't see the update offering anything else more than bugfixes and minor feature enhancements though (the preview isn't that far away now, then we'll know for sure).

So far our reaction from 80 teaching staff has been overwhelmingly positive, but that's down to them using it on the correct device. I think the naysayers on Win 8 are mostly mouse/keyboard users so hopefully the coming Blue update will make them happy and we can all just move on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    This is exactly the point - Corporate IT which are Microsoft's biggest customer are very much keyboard and mouse users, so what on earth were they thinking making Win 8 a touchscreen only OS with no options suitable for keyboard and mouse users?

I have a feeling Microsoft simply saw iPads gaining in popularity, but in reality, this is still a small percentage of all devices used. Corporate IT are not going to suddenly change everything to touchscreen are they?

A really simple fix for Microsoft is for Windows itself to know whether it's installed on a tablet, notebook or PC and select the appropriate interface, or for advanced users, allowing them to specify the default interface. This is theory could then be developed/included with Sysprep for large deployments.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast