+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, Default File Associations in Technical; Im trying to change the windows 8 default program for opening pictures to something teachers are familure with. However Even ...

Thank Post

Default File Associations

Im trying to change the windows 8 default program for opening pictures to something teachers are familure with. However Even if i change it on my user and say set as default when a new users logs in it will continue to open in the metro interface.

Any Ideas
    Squeeky

Thank Post
    You will have to edit registry manually.
    Per user registry setting is stored in (example is .jpg file type):
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.JPG]
    "Application"="OIS.EXE"

When you manually assign a default program then the entry is stored in the above key.

For all users file association is stored in:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]

You will have to enter the default program manually in the above key. Have a look at the above two keys in registry. You will have an idea what to do.
    Last edited by sultan966; 8th February 2013 at 01:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is your domain 2008R2 or above? (guessing you're on 2012 if you're playing with Windows 8)

If so, Computer Config > Group Policy Preferences > Control Panel Settings > Folder Options > File Type; action = update, file extension to jpg or whatever you're after (DON'T type the . in!), new Action = Open, and give it the path to the program you want to use. You can change the icon as well, give it the icon file path and set the index to 0.

I've only done this for a filetype that hadn't registered, but it should work to replace any existing associations.

Thank Post
    Thanks sonofsanta thats exactly what i wanted. Its 2k8r2 at the moment but we are thinking of upgrading if we can get everything working nearly how we want. However when i set that setting it has absolutly no effect and still insists in opening with the wrong thing. Does that apply for existing users or just new ones ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2k8R2 should be fine. Reason it probably isn't working for you is because you need to set action to Replace, not update - I led you wrong by copying out what I had for my settings, which is for a slightly different situation (as mentioned). Sorry about that.

You could also try the User Preferences > Control Panel > Folder Options > right-click > New > Open With route as well, you can Set As Default there

6. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

TheScarfedOne (8th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Still didnt work. However found an interesting option cannt set default association file. Its a file the is created in xml that includes the file extensions and what to open in them for all users. It tells you how to create it in gpedit.msc. I actuarly did this on the local gpedit but a note to anyone who is trying this for some strange reason it doesnt work untill you join the domain.
    Last edited by squeeky; 11th February 2013 at 03:01 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread